Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A long interview over at Wired

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1

Post A long interview over at Wired

Geek Dad, a division of Wired, recently ran a pretty lengthy interview about The Banner Saga where we talked about everything from story and gameplay to Kickstarter. One of the better ones!

Creative Director for The Banner Saga Talks Kickstarter, RPG Heroes, and Story in Games

Nice interview, in wired hey, very nice

Stelly

Great interview. Pretty informative. I am totally loving what I am hearing.

That is a great interview. It gave me a much better perspective on the direction of the game.

- I had no idea the caravan travel bits were going to be part of the gameplay. Sounds Oregon Trail-esque.
    - I am extremely heartened by Tom's affection for Final Fantasy Tactics. One of the best turn-based strategy games IMO.
    - No money in the game. This has massive implications on gameplay and character progression. Makes sense when the world is ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    I think that’s why we ended up with a travel system that’s a little unusual: it solved a lot of problems like pacing, screwing around when there’s a world to save or, in general, a lack of good motivation. To bring up points that you mentioned, we don’t even let the player loot chests, grind on random encounters, and solve every problem with a fight, and we don’t think they’ll miss it. We don’t even have money in the game, because it has no relevance to the gameplay. From our perspective it’s an incredible chance to try something new, and though we know it’s not going to revolutionize gaming for the shooter crowd it’s an opportunity almost nobody gets in this industry.
    Man, you can't believe how much this one paragraph completely reinforces my faith in you guys. This doesn't have a lot of weight behind it, because I'm not anyone particularly notable in any aspect, but I've been struggling to come up with a solid srpg system that abolishes leveling without stunting the feeling of progression for a few years at least. I'm not actually in the industry yet, thanks to a mountain of student debt and the shitty state of affairs after the economic crash, but game design is my true passion and I study up. I strongly feel that level-based systems destroy real strategy by allowing an out of simply getting stronger than the other guy.

That you guys fully acknowledge this, and are designing a battle system that is fundamentally created to work in a competitive multiplayer environment is EXACTLY what the genre needs. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who saw this ideal. Blow the doors open.

Really intrigued by the lack of money in the game.