Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New unit ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by visorium View Post
    Of course, Varl Berserkr is more correctly!
    The main idea of this raider "berserk" - mobility, he has no shield (shieldwall also absent for this raider, he can't cover anyone). Small, nimble attacker - that's what I mean
    In view of "Factions unit compatibility" I think it's not good to mix-up base-classes with promoted-classes Maybe this unit could be a promoted-class of the Landsman base-class (instead of Raider), having Lightstep as his passive-ability. The paradigm of Hunter and Warden units showed that Landsman promoted-classes might have quite different attack styles and abilities...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Another idea, Spearman this time:
    Ability: Spearman hit foe (through *1,**2,***3 tiles in-line, gorizotnal-vertical) dealing normal strength damage and blocks enemy unit, holds it in one place without interrupting his turn (it means foe can attack or use ability, but standing as ingrown to the ground).
    Allows to reduce mobility of enemy unit, holding it for "processing" the rest of the squad
    Spearman can attack ignoring barriers both through allies and through the enemy units (without causing any damage) and through the empty tiles.
    This is a very important thing, I believe this unit will be great to combined with raiders (shield wall) and archers.
    Also this Spearman have 1 tile normal diagonal attack, like Tryggvi or Ludin.

Variants:
    • this ability could reduce movement range by 1-2-3 tiles, as well as preventing use of exertion
    • restriction of movement up to 2 tiles
    • it will be drain wp for maneuver
    • Ability does not cause damage
    • Target gets some ARM damage, +1 Break for every tile he moves (target can't move, or has movement-range reduced)
    Last edited by visorium; 08-26-2014 at 07:45 AM.

An ability that restricts mobility like that is just way too strong. This is especially true if the spearman is able to hit diagonally with his ability. What would happen if I brought 3 spearman to the battle? I could essentially shut down 3 melee units (remember, you are always going to bring at least 3 melee units in a game) and use my other 3 units to do whatever I wanted. Even if I couldn't bring 3 spearmen, I would always bring one spearman to the battle because the ability to shut down my opponent's mobility is just too good to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeDurrrp View Post
    An ability that restricts mobility like that is just way too strong.
    I expressed the same concerns to visorium, that's why I proposed then toned-down variant where the target's normal movement range is reduced by 1/2/3 tiles (for ranks 1/2/3 of the ability). Evidently, moving by using Willpower (and Exertion) is always allowed, and "drains WP", as visor suggested.

Of course, problems would start if this ability is for a balanced competitive PvP game (Factions ); in the single-player game, anything goes!

Balance is a matter of time

Alright here is my idea!

Duelist/Challenger/ Exalted champion.

With nothing else to loose and single minded on commiting itself to kill a single foe among, the duelist calls against a specific target.
    Activate to use:
    If the challenge it's succesfully accepted, both units will not charge anything else until they meet in combat. They will start clawing at each other until one of them turns victor. Other units cannot interfere in the duel except by using abilities.
    The winner roars triumphantly and gains a damage stack, which becomes passive.
    The damage stack wont leave until the battle is over, so even if your hero is tired he will still be able to keep fighting on and taking stronger characters by slaying others. Combo him with a bard or a wanderer to witness and narrate the duel and you will obtain a very powerful hero.

The enemy is given the choice to accept or neglect it. Altought the weaker the Duelist is, it will become more likely for them to accept it.
    If an enemy with lower life force "than the one it started with" it's challenged and refuses the duel, nothing happens.
    If the challenged one has more original life force it will accept automatically. If he refuses and the challenger has already won other duels, the challenged will simply cower in fear behind friend lines and loose one will power. As it will walk out with the tail between it's leggs like a coward or perhaps a smart one for the matter.

I even have the story for a particular character like this "to give some ideas and inspiration" so to speak. Due to he seems to be a very cool experiment.

I am basing him on the heros of norse tragedies such as the children of Hurin, some characters from the silmarillion, the song of the Nibelungs etc.. With some elements of a charismatic but sad young men like Manriken from the moomins.
    Last edited by Little Horus; 05-16-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Horus View Post
    Alright here is my idea!

Duelist/Challenger/ Exalted champion.

With nothing else to loose and single minded on commiting itself to kill a single foe among, the duelist calls against a specific target.
    Very interesting concept! I didn't understand the resulting bonus though, "The winner roars triumphantly and gains a damage stack, which becomes passive." Do you mean that he gets a permanent (for that fight) damage bonus for all his next STR attacks? Also, I foresee some technical implementation difficulties in: (a) forbidding the Duelist hero from attacking anyone else, (b) forbidding the other units from messing with the duel, (c) this accept/decline duel mechanic. Maybe a more "engine-friendly" approach to implement this "mark enemy" ability is due...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Very interesting concept! I didn't understand the resulting bonus though, "The winner roars triumphantly and gains a damage stack, which becomes passive." Do you mean that he gets a permanent (for that fight) damage bonus for all his next STR attacks? Also, I foresee some technical implementation difficulties in: (a) forbidding the Duelist hero from attacking anyone else, (b) forbidding the other units from messing with the duel, (c) this accept/decline duel mechanic. Maybe a more "engine-friendly" approach to implement this "mark enemy" ability is due...

Yeah my bad, I screwed up my english.
    The stack becomes extra permanent damage for streght attacks for the remaining of the battle, so even if the unit gets damaged or wounded his stack will remain thus allowing him to continue to make damage despite being hurt. While the duelist is in a duel, he cant attack anyone else or get in other duels for that matter.

Perhaps the duel can be declined by heros with less willpower without any other consequences? Or perhaps the duel has a cool down? so that it doesnt get abused or something? It also gains rage when a fellow hero falls which happens to be close to the unit granting him an additional attack on his next fighting round. Or maybe the stronger the enemy is in health/armor the more likely they will be to accept the challenge?

Needs a little bit of work but I am glad you found the concept to be interesting.

Also I like the exhilarating image of the champion duelist calling at the bard "Sing of my Victory! Baaard!!!" as he crushes the champions of his foes one by one! An inspiring sight indeed dont you think?
    Last edited by Little Horus; 05-19-2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Sing of me bard, SING OF HOW I VANQUISHED THEM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Horus View Post
    ...gains rage when a fellow hero falls which happens to be close to the unit granting him an additional attack on his next fighting round.
    That's another interesting idea, especially for a passive ability. Something like Embolden (WIL gain, when killing enemy), but inverse. The buff gain would have to be something quite significant though, because you'd normally expect this ability to trigger only once or twice per battle (if you're playing well)!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4