Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New unit ideas...

esth, it seems like your ability should be called bleed, since the unit is running around dropping blood everywhere.

Naming aside, I find that idea for crippling more interesting that straight up limiting movement range. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Esth View Post
    Cripple - Deals attack damage and target unit takes one strength damage for each tile it moves this turn.
    Very interesting. And, yes, as Butters says, it seems more balanced than movement-range reduction.

Actually, this kinda resembles RoA, where you can move but you risk getting damage! Imagine the combo with Malice, where a crippled/maimed unit dies trying to attack the PK!

I think 1 damage per tile might be too much.. IMO 1 time damage would be a bit fair. I'm thinking something like if the "ensnared" unit moves he initially is dealt armor or health damage or needs to spend WP.

Considering an upcoming berserker class, I think it will be cool and very "berserkery" :-) if his passive would be postponing all str damage done to him until after his turn, too OP though I guess ;-). A "master" class in this case could have an ability to unleash taken damage like maybe +1 to attack for each 2 damage taken.

Reviving this wonderful thread with a brilliant idea from raven :
    "The Unit Wot Goes Invisible"
    Two ways to go about this for me (there are probably half a million more) :

1. Male mender : the Shadow Walker
    Wears a hooded cape and wields a spiked staff (or a dagger). Is capable of warping the space around him to conceal his presence and strike a deadly blow from the shadows.
    His active must be activated before moving. After activating, he goes invisible to the enemy. He can then move and finish his turn (but not attack). He stays invisible until his next turn unless taking indirect damage (coals, impact, etc). At the beginning of his next turn, he becomes visible again. He cannot move on that turn, but can deliver a devastating blow (that scales with rank) provided the enemy did not move away from him between turns. Maybe he can move away but then lose his special attack.

2. Hunter : the Silent Hunter, or Shadow Stalker, or Ninja Viking or whatever
    A fearsome hunter capable of hiding his presence from his prey. A shady character wearing black face paint.
    His active is similar to the above in the sense that it activates before moving and makes him invisible to the enemy until his next turn. He is however detectable if an enemy walks into a certain range of this position : 2 tiles away for rank 1, melee range for rank 2, and he never gets discovered at rank 3 (expect for the indirect damage cases described above). This makes him a more extreme raidmaster (invisibility = impossible to target = pretty much invincible) but with more risk (being discovered = no more protection, and possibly getting your face chopped off). He has no specific bonus on the turn after using his ability. Maybe the invisibility could vanish only if he chooses to move again without using his active ; that would allow him to spend 2 or more turns completely out of sight of the enemy, probably making some archers very nervous ^^
    Post-note : rank 3 doesn't work actually. If you are in the way of a unit, effectively blocking their movement (where they thought they could go ; he is a human RoA of sorts) should absolutely reveal your position.

There was also talk of a "pinner" unit which would pin down an enemy unit, preventing them from moving (at all1) in their next turn. attacks and abilities are useable freely though. This is quite close to previous "ensnare" ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    "The Unit Wot Goes Invisible"
    Very interesting idea, that adds a wide spectrum of new tactics involved.

I have some concerns about implementing this kind special ability, especially since all abilities (up to now) are meant to end the active turn and/or have their effect wear-off at the start of the next turn (or death). That is, activate ability then wait & see. The usefulness of this new ability is you activate first and move later...

Perhaps if the ability, similarly to RoA, was something like: You choose an empty tile within a given range (depending if you've already moved or not), you become invisible to the opponent, and then you move there. You are revealed: if you're hit, if someone passes by, or at your next turn.

Revealing an enemy shadow could potentially mess up the enemy-movement, which is another sort of trouble. Well, perhaps it could be seen, just like RoA, as another side of the ability: it stops a unit and spooks it, making it lose its turn!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Perhaps if the ability, similarly to RoA, was something like: You choose an empty tile within a given range (depending if you've already moved or not), you become invisible to the opponent, and then you move there.
    I fail to see the difference between this (maybe-move)/activate/move-some-more system and the IMHO more straightforward activate/move.
    I do agree it is a departure from the current system though, but I'm not sure it's upsetting any general balance or mechanic.

I like the idea of abilities you can do before movement, i wish all units had that haha but i guess that would mess with some of their balances.

Invisibility is definitely a cool idea. If they can't implement ability before movement, then I have a solution for that. Put the invisibility on a timer (imagine stonewall but it stays on).

r1 - invisibility lasts for 2 following turns, revealed 3 tiles away
    r2 - invisibility lasts for 2 following turns, revealed 2 tiles away
    r3 - invisibility lasts for 2 following turns, revealed 1 tile away

the major bug i can foresee happening though is if someone clicks on a tile to move to it, with shadowwalker being on that tile. you can't allow 2 units to be on the same tile. Nor can you allow that user to know he can't put his unit on that tile because then people would try search for shadowwalker trial-and-error with that
    Last edited by roder; 06-14-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodereve View Post
    the major bug i can foresee happening though is if someone clicks on a tile to move to it, with shadowwalker being on that tile. you can't allow 2 units to be on the same tile. Nor can you allow that user to know he can't put his unit on that tile because then people would try search for shadowwalker trial-and-error with that
    As I said, I'd prefer this ability to function like RoA: Enemy picks a path and starts moving towards the end-destination. When he gets in range to see the shadowwalker he stops. Perhaps his turn would not end, i.e. he can still attack or move-again (if/when that is implemented).

As I said, I'd prefer this ability to function like RoA: Enemy picks a path and starts moving towards the end-destination. When he gets in range to see the shadowwalker he stops. Perhaps his turn would not end, i.e. he can still attack or move-again (if/when that is implemented).
    I was thinking indeed like RoA, but a tad different : the "ghost" tile is clickable for movement, and the moving unit stops movement when/if it bumps into the cloaked unit. I'm still trying to decide which is the more interesting mechanic :either stopping movement upon detection and allowing rerouting, or ignore except if you bump into, in which case remaining movement is lost.
    There are quite a few ways to go around this, and it's difficult to imagine what would work without some testing. We need Stoic's board game model !

Ok but then you'd have to think about not only movement, but movement-abilities. Like what if BB's runthrough landed on shadowwalker, or if PK/SRM moved you onto shadowwalker. If Shadowwalker just blocks those moves after they are activated he's sort of like a moving RoA, in a sense (which is cool too). Lots of a cool techniques I can see

Another unit idea...

DISCLAIMER: I hope this wasn't somehow mentioned before; sorry if it was!

Earthweaver -- This unit, probably a male mender, has the ability to raise a megalith from the bowels of the earth. He targets a tile within a given range (e.g. 5 tiles), occupied or not, and calls forth the finger of Enceladus. This effectively creates a blocker that lasts until his next turn (or his death).

His ability can be made as offensive or defensive, but not both (i.e. selectable), of course!
    • Offensive -- If the target-tile was occupied, the unit is randomly moved to an empty adjacent tile. If there is no valid movement (e.g. a locked varl), more units are randomly pushed in order to create room. The target unit and all units adjacent to the megalith receive some damage.
    • Defensive -- Only a unoccupied tile can be targeted. The raised megalith does not cause damage, but gives a shieldwall-like bonus to all adjacent allies.

At higher ranks, the Earthweaver can either raise multiple blockers (potentially non-adjacent), or inflict/grant increased damage/bonus to the units adjacent to the blocker.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 06-15-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Quoting some old posts from this thread, that pinpoint to the Spearmaster's "Impale" ability and the bleed effect! It seems that Stoic took the suggested ideas (even the name) to heart, or that the players accurately guessed Stoic's mind

Quote Originally Posted by Esth View Post
    ok, this is an ability I really want on some unit:
    Cripple - Deals attack damage and [/b]target unit takes one strength damage for each tile it moves[/B] this turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaiser View Post
    Esth, it seems like your ability should be called bleed, since the unit is running around dropping blood everywhere.
    Imagine the combo with Malice, where a crippled/maimed unit dies trying to attack the PK!
    (I didn't think of the much more effective Impale+BatteringRam combo at that time, dealing up to 8 damage!)

So, lets restart brainstorming on ability ideas, and maybe more of those will come to be!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

- Varl with two shields or huge one, with RM ability (resist and shieldwall)
    ~ Perfect blocking and covering unit.
    - Varl with a hook on a chain, like a MK Scorpion "getoverhere!" - Drag enemy unit through certain number of cells (mb with armor damage)
    ~Ideally for geting out archers from fortified formation., pull units to traps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by visorium View Post
    - Varl with two shields or huge one, with RM ability (resist and shieldwall)
    ~ Perfect blocking and covering unit.
    This sounds a little too powerful! The only way to "balance" that unit, is if this guy had very low STR (e.g. 10) and low break (e.g. max 2). But, that starts to sound like the Provoker, but with better active & passive!

- Varl with a hook on a chain, like a MK Scorpion "getoverhere!" - Drag enemy unit through certain number of cells (mb with armor damage)
    ~Ideally for geting out archers from fortified formation., pull units to traps, etc.
    That's quite cool. Actually, Arnie had mentioned a while ago that they were thinking about a spearman-class unit with something like this "Scorpion" active ability. He specifically said that the spearman would pull a unit closer, and also tweak enemy unit-order (e.g. send target one turn back).

1. max arm\str: 17\10-9, max ab - 2, max ext - 2... or so. with activated ability unit stands as though rooted, it can not be moved nohow
    2. why varl and not man? I try to imagine a man who trying drag to himself elephant ... sorry, varl
    and may call him "Whaler".
    Last edited by visorium; 06-11-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Idea for raider Berserkr:
    Armed with two axes\sword or any two-handed weapon.
    Ability similar to BB - jump through the back allies\enemies (without armor damage) and inflict damage to all around him (as Ekkil), his damage increases for every cell he runs through someone (empty cell is not considered).
    His stats: 7-8\12 ex3, ab2
    ~Inspired by Korean chess 장기, where there is the figure "cannon" that can only "shoot" through the "l'affut" (moves by jumping another piece)

Idea for raider Berserkr:
    Armed with two axes\sword or any two-handed weapon.
    Ability similar to BB - jump through the back allies\enemies (without armor damage) and inflict damage to all around him (as Ekkil), his damage increases for every cell he runs through someone (empty cell is not considered).
    Bolverk, definitely a Beserker Varl-class unit, is one of the earliest conceived characters in the story. His portrait reveals that he has two axes and both his horns are broken (Arnie mentioned this particular piece of lore in the past, i.e. that all Beserkers have broken their own horns). So, it's very likely that the Beserker deals some sort of frenzied double-weapon attacks (maybe like Bloody Flail?) probably hurting both allies and enemies.

I wonder what their passive ability will be, and if this "hurt-allies-too" will be part of that... Judging from the unit name, it might be something related to their Exertion, for example each WP spent on movement and/or damage-boosting will count as double (e.g. a 2EX/2WP Berserker can move +4 tiles or do +4 damage). That would mean that Beserker can do terribly reckless & destructive actions but he will soon be drained of WP.

My first thoughts on the Beserker-Varl active ability would be that he can turn some of his ARM into STR, much like the "Umbrage" ability of the Dredge Stonestinger, e.g. -2ARM/+3STR at rank-1. I am not sure if that bonus should wear off after one turn or remain until the end of the fight.

Of course, Varl Berserkr is more correctly!
    The main idea of this raider "berserk" - mobility, he has no shield (shieldwall also absent for this raider, he can't cover anyone). Small, nimble attacker - that's what I mean

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast