Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why nerf Backbiters?

Why nerf Backbiters?

Backbiters have had their Strength max reduced to 10 in the latest update.

They just went from "unit that has a niche because you can threaten and harm people's high Strength and moderate Armor guys and maybe kill low-armor archers" to "not a threat to anyone and clearly-worst raider unit now, even behind the rather silly Raidmaster."

I guess it's all Thrashers now and for all time?

I understand the general thrust behind the strength nerf, although I think it'll seriously damage their ability to be "archer killers" as intended.

But why buff their max willpower to 13? Is anyone likely to try that build ever?

EDIT: Ok, I haven't tested yet so it's possible this will go away entirely when I get the chance to play with it, but I am more puzzled about this as I think about it. Stoic was saying in chat that backbiters should be hit and run, not tanks, and that's why they were considering lowering max armour to 11 from 12. I can understand not take that route, but now their hit and run is dramatically nerfed in effectiveness ESPECIALLY if they take stray strength damage from stuff like coals, heavy impact, bloody flail, overhits, etc., whereas their tankiness is still intact and in fact seems like a more reliable direction to take them now?
    Last edited by Shiri; 03-14-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I was expecting changes that involve his max armour or armour-break dependence of his skill, but I haven't played yet to see how it affects the game so I can't judge the decision yet.

Stoic mentioned that the intention behind BB was to be armour breakers and right now with no investment to break they can potentially run through 4 units dealing 8 armour break AND also attack - so there is a niche.

Why nerf BBs? Well, if spected the very lame way of 12/12 + shieldwall stacking they are tough as hell AND could armour break before their attack with no investment to armour break itself.

If the current raiders aren't what you're looking for (like me) than there's another one coming and spearmen will be joining our ranks so lots of room for melee tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazthefirst View Post
    rather silly Raidmaster.
    How dare you! <3 Raidmasters, best unit in the game.

It will all get more balanced once higher ranks will be added for every unit. The potential of running through several units (with wp cost 3) justifies the will power buff.

Quote Originally Posted by van View Post
    How dare you! <3 Raidmasters, best unit in the game.

It will all get more balanced once higher ranks will be added for every unit. The potential of running through several units (with wp cost 3) justifies the will power buff.
    It's a MAX willpower buff though, not a MIN willpower buff. They still start with 4 like before. Actually getting to that cap leaves you with stats of 5/8/13/2/1 (well, you don't have to put the exertion I guess, but something like that.) Bizarre.

Ah, you're right Shiri, just took a quick peek at them. I thought the nerf was affecting min not max wp. Quite bizzare indeed.

well, the game needs to be balanced somehow, if you subtract from one place you need to balance somewhere else and WP seems to be the dump-stat for balance-issues

Well, any nerf will do in a storm, I say. I still like the BBs even now that their ability is less about ganking archers on their first hit. I've got two BBs and no third raider right now.

They did need a nerf... personally I thought their imbalance was in their skill, which is far too good for 1 WP. This indirectly nerfs the skill though, since they don't maim so often when using it.

Quote Originally Posted by piotras View Post
    I was expecting changes that involve his max armour or armour-break dependence of his skill, but I haven't played yet to see how it affects the game so I can't judge the decision yet.

Stoic mentioned that the intention behind BB was to be armour breakers and right now with no investment to break they can potentially run through 4 units dealing 8 armour break AND also attack - so there is a niche.

Why nerf BBs? Well, if spected the very lame way of 12/12 + shieldwall stacking they are tough as hell AND could armour break before their attack with no investment to armour break itself.

If the current raiders aren't what you're looking for (like me) than there's another one coming and spearmen will be joining our ranks so lots of room for melee tactics.
    Running through four units is not something that will happen even if you could afford the three Willpower. With only six units, the chances of four being lined up, none of them being giants, your Will at three or higher, and your Backbiters in range is a black swan event.

Even running through two units was not something that happened every match.

I guess they'll be a placeholder unit until new units show up. I seriously don't respect the plans for upgraded Trashers enough to get the kills on them and Raidermasters are still silly (spend Willpower to not do things in the hopes of being in a good position after everyone has moved.....lame).

Running through four units is not something that will happen even if you could afford the three Willpower. With only six units, the chances of four being lined up, none of them being giants, your Will at three or higher, and your Backbiters in range is a black swan event.

I guess they'll be a placeholder unit until new units show up. I seriously don't respect the plans for upgraded Trashers enough to get the kills on them and Raidermasters are still silly (spend Willpower to not do things in the hopes of being in a good position after everyone has moved.....lame).
    There are so many things wrong with every statement you make that I don't know where to begin. Please stop and think before posting again.

In fairness, the Raidmaster's ability is often pretty good at restricting the movement of the Varls if you can use him properly.

Yeah, I don't see how the RM's ability could be useful. Then again, I said that about the latest iteration of Slag 'n' Burn, too.

I've always thought of the Raidmaster as a disruptive unit. For me his main purpose is to block enemy movement. A well played RM can be pretty annoying!
    BBs nerf was alright.. 12 power plus his run through is pretty scary on higher ranks..
    Last edited by Tatski; 03-15-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eAZy View Post
    There are so many things wrong with every statement you make that I don't know where to begin. Please stop and think before posting again.
    Claiming there is something wrong with my position without actually backing it up makes me think that you don't have valid opinions that should be respected.