Thread: [Q] Does Renown scale at all with party's level?

[Q] Does Renown scale at all with party's level?

I've been playing level 5 matches and I am getting around 6-8 renown per match, win or lose. I make the same amount if I am playing with a party of level 1. Does renown scale at all or is it always this low? This would seem unfortunate especially when people are above level 10 and are barely getting any renown to progress. Or is there something else I am missing here? Thanks for your time.

Renown is not scaled, you gain the same amount whether playing power0 or power18. It's distributed the following way:
    • 1 renown for each kill (up to 6)
    • 1 renown for a win
    • 1 renown for a win streak (each consecutive win after the 2nd)
    • 2 renown for expert mode (button on the "Versus" banner; 30 sec timer)
    • 1 renown for daily streak (each consecutive day of battling your count increases and you can get +1 renown for every battle up to that count the day you are playing)
    • +1 underdog bonus per team power difference (changed with the latest update)
    Last edited by netnazgul; 03-20-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: underdog bonus change
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Ah, so the most amount of renown you could get in a battle then is 13? I guess the tournaments are probably the best option to get a good lump sum then. Thank you for your answer, nice to know the details of how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by cownaetion View Post
    Ah, so the most amount of renown you could get in a battle then is 13? I guess the tournaments are probably the best option to get a good lump sum then. Thank you for your answer, nice to know the details of how this works.
    You also get +5 renown for each of a ton of achievements. They are still to be enabled in Steam (devs had some problems with that; all achievements will be retroactively enabled on steam upon activation) but are shown ingame on the battle result screen.
    Among these achievements are those for 1,5,10,20... games, wins, certain elo achievements, unit killcount achievements.

And you get +5 renown for each new friend you play in friend mode.

From the changelog:
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Underdog bonus increased to 1 renown per power difference, up to a maximum of 4 renown

Fixed in post
    Also, needs a fix in a wiki, will see there

This may not be the proper place for it, but has it been considered (or even tried in an earlier build) to give one renown per rank of the unit killed? That is, a rank 1 unit killed gives one renown, rank 2 gives 2 renown, rank 3 gives 3 renown. Makes sense in game as any higher ranked soldier would be a better/more difficult opponent and give me fame for defeating, and it also slightly mitigates the grind at higher power levels. Just a random thought from this morning.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Quote Originally Posted by mindflare77 View Post
    has it been considered (or even tried in an earlier build) to give one renown per rank of the unit killed? That is, a rank 1 unit killed gives one renown, rank 2 gives 2 renown, rank 3 gives 3 renown.
    I think I've read something about this in the forum, but I don't recall where ...

It does seem reasonable to me too, and I've got an "extended" version : The renown earned for a kill is equal to R=1+(rank_victim-rank_killer), meaning that when a rank0 unit kills a rank3 unit, 4 Renown will be earned! This is actually somewhere between what is currently happening (R=1, flat) and what mindflare is proposing (R=victim's rank).

That was actually the idea before ranks were introduced. Stoic did not go through with it . Probably too much renown inflation and not enough renown sinks if that became the case.

Update today is that you now get 5 renown for a win and 5 for a rally bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I've got an "extended" version: The renown earned for a kill is equal to R=1+(rank_victim-rank_killer), meaning that when a rank0 unit kills a rank3 unit, 4 Renown will be earned!
    Looking back at this formula of mine, I realized the possibility of negative-renown, as a penalty for "un-sportsmanship". For instance, having a Rank3 Warmaster butcher a poor Rank0 archer-lass would grant you -2 renown... That's what you get from hitting women for 17STR damage, you brute!