Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: quickmatch should consider Elo

I think implementing an entirely new match type over the separation we've just received is premature. In the long term it may make sense to change how the system decide when players cross over from training to full participation in the Elo system, but I'll leave that up the folk who can see the player data.

A little extra on the tooltip to give a sense to new players that "Quick Match = Here There Be Dragons" will go a long way. Once steered into Ranked matches for their first experiences and a taste of victory, the new player/customer/fan's relationship with Factions will be much more stable.

@Ninjineer: Hiya (we played a couple of days ago) and welcome to the forums.
    Hi franknarf, yes I remember. This community is very friendly and I wish I'd become a part of it sooner; Factions and its players remind me of the old days of Myth TFL/SB in all the right ways. May Stoic's banner grow ever longer!

New player here..... just quit and uninstalled after a night of frustrating automatches. looks like i should have been playing ranked. eh. bummer

Quote Originally Posted by dmastri View Post
    New player here..... just quit and uninstalled after a night of frustrating automatches. looks like i should have been playing ranked. eh. bummer
    Fortunately it is quick to reinstall

Honestly, I'm not sure why people have such strange expectations about the game. AFAIK Factions is not ment to be finished in a very long time. At the moment, it is an opportunity to get to know the system and a vent for people that love the game/team. In the finished state, it needs more and better tutorial systems - which is given naturally for people that play saga first. Maybe for now, we only need better explanations for starting players. Like pop-ups if you first visit a screen telling you in more a few sentences what to expect from different types of matchmaking (unranked, ranked, tournament, friends).
    I don't think we should push the devs too much towards polishing factions now. Mostly because there are still massive changes incoming and it takes away a lot of development time for saga (which ultimately brings new factions features anyway).

Also, someone wanted to decrease renown/kills in unranked. I disagree with that idea. Imo it is the wrong way of pushing players to ranked. Players should play ranked since it gives good matches, not because unranked is worthless.

Finally, there was some debate on power restricting mechanics for ranked. Maybe, for the love of saga, we should simply try to enforce a soft "everyone only queues at powerlevel a, b, c" in the community? The playerbase is not too huge to do this yet imo.

vThey need to do a better job of explaining that. i spent 2 hours trying to figure out why I couldnt advance my guy to rank2....because it dont exiar. i thought this was a beta but really seems alpha. thats okay but they need to manage player expectations and be crystal clear about what this is and isn't...particularly when they are running the ftp store. to be honest im not comfortable with them launching the store and taking money this early. they did have a successfull kickstarter, afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by dmastri View Post
    thats okay but they need to manage player expectations and be crystal clear about what this is and isn't...particularly when they are running the ftp store. to be honest im not comfortable with them launching the store and taking money this early. they did have a successfull kickstarter, afterall.
    I can understand you well. BUT e.g. I was not part of kickstarter. I'm happy I can support them now via ingame store. It is not like you need to buy anything. You can play top tier without buying in - compared to all other games I know of. So store is ok with me (as it is not important) and they should explain stuff better.

It confuses me how people have a range of understandings on the state of the game all the way from prototype, to alpha, to beta, to final, to better than final, etc.

I suppose that has to do with varied experiences with games as well. TBSF isn't in an alpha or beta stage, but it is still developing and will receive much polishing as time goes by.

Personally, I find this dynamic atmosphere and potential more attractive and engaging than a game that has all it's bells and whistles, because while it is a surprise (and not always pleasant), it is a fair amount better to know something exciting could be waiting right around the corner .

With Chapter one under development, and 2 more chapters for the single player following a time after, you can be sure Factions will continue to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    We asked for these things and got them , let's express a bit of appreciation/gratitude first at least.
    I am very thankful and grateful; quickmatches are much less stressful when I'm too tired to think straight, or experimenting.

That said, I still do think the name could be changed. Don't see any drawbacks, in fact!

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    It confuses me how people have a range of understandings on the state of the game all the way from prototype, to alpha, to beta, to final, to better than final, etc.

I suppose that has to do with varied experiences with games as well. TBSF isn't in an alpha or beta stage, but it is still developing and will receive much polishing as time goes by.
    In truth it confuses me that this is not a problem. I understand that it is considered to have gone past beta testing, but for any new players this will feel like an unfinished product. There are elements (less now than on release) that the game talks of as part of the mechanics core to its play, yet it isnt implemented yet. The confusion is made even more strange by tutorials talking of things like ranking up beyond 1, but that wasnt even there on launch.....or even explained that it wasnt there. People are not known for scouring the interwebs or forums to find answers or even just to be up to date on a game they just started playing. They need information and some for of intuitive way of knowing what is happening.

I love the game, and play it daily to much enjoyment, but for me i dont see this game being out of "beta" until it at least has all the core elements of their units put in. Adding units, maps, game plays and shop options are things that I would easily consider worthy add-ons as the gaem progresses in development, but i was highly put off by the games lack of explanation to its highly "slimmed" out launch.

@Lupin: Besides ranking up beyond 1, what else is missing? As far as I'm concerned, the core mechanics are what you can do in battle (damage, movement and the user interface), and those are rock solid. Rank-ups, in contrast, are part of the meta-game, and I don't understand why you draw a distinction between them ("beta" stuff) and adding new units and maps (part of "progressing in development").

I agree that they could do a better job of communicating stuff (I think they could really use an in-game news board...and heard that one is on the way), but what other reasons do you have for insisting on calling it a beta? Maybe you're thinking of banner customization, the Trophy Tower and AI? Again, I'd hardly call the first two core mechanics, and AI is not necessary for a multiplayer game to be complete.

So back on the topic of quickmatch... I don't think I have seen it mentioned in this thread that you can't use ranked match below power 6, so you HAVE to use quickmatch - which might throw a wrench in the idea that "Quick Match = Here There Be Dragons" as Ninjineer put it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2