Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fire pit map -- does anybody like it?

Hate it. If you start opposite ends, it's a camp fest because you cant properly move your units because of that god dam pillar and pack of swords at the end...ridiculous. At least make a gap in the firepit or remove those good for nothing pillars.
    Last edited by WeihGuy; 03-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.

At first, I really hated the fire-map, but now, I'm starting to like&enjoy it quite a lot! This one and the beach-one (with the four poles) are my favorites.

Deploying my units only on one side is something I've abandoned in this process, i.e., nowadays, I spread them almost evenly on both sides to be safe. When the opponent is on the one side only, I attack through the open-flank (and let my WH do a little fire-jumping) and defend on the cranked-flank. When the opponent is on both sides, then things usually evolve as two separate battles...

One suggestion I'd have for this map is the following: When any unit dies on the coals, it extinguishes them, making those particular grid-tiles safe for other units to cross (say for 1-2 rounds/turns). Bridging!

In overall, I'd like to see more maps like this one!

I like the map. It's a bit awkward, but I love setting the opponent up to take lava damage and die at the start of their turn.

Put me down in favor of the firepit. It adds a little unpredictability to the match. I've had a couple of matches where I've basically blitzed across the pit taking my opponent completely off guard - but you never know what will happen, because reactions and strategies on that board are by far the most varied. The game is far better for having different boards to play on. My favorite is the four posts board though. I find I tend to fare poorly on open maps, and rather well on maps that allow me to use obstacles against my opponent. Whether that's because I'm good at those maps or terrible at the game in general, I can't say.

I like the fire pits in the middle, I dislike the pillars that block the center of your deployment. The map also HEAVILY favors skystriker teams, but since you can't choose the map you play on that's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
    The map also HEAVILY favors skystriker teams
    Too true. And more so if the teams are unbalanced (few-vs-many archers) and are found setup in opposite sides of the firepit.

I just suffered a massive defeat there, from a 3-archer (mix-grill) build; and he didn't even play it out well. My Warhawk was actually running for cover (!) by the end of his second turn and Pillage found my Warmaster (4/17) auditioning for shooting-target at the three lasses' leisure. He managed to axe one down, though.

I like this map because this is the one that makes you consider heavily the environment before taking any action. And in my conception this is what makes a map unique.
    I like to start using a raidmaster and siege archer in the middle, the rest is deployed in one side of the pit. If the enemy starts on the opposite side I leave the raidmaster to block the path and try to nuke with archer.
    If the enemy is on the same side I bring the raidmaster and use the archer to advance slowly on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by sayonaraPal View Post
    ...If the enemy starts on the opposite side...
    In my opinion, the million-dollar question is "who jumps the firepit?". Sometimes it's worth sending a high-Strength Varl (e.g. Warhawk) for a fire-walk in order to kill annoying archers and/or damaged raiders. Sometimes it's worth waiting for the enemy to attempt the jump, and punish him/her for it. But everyone agrees that archers can make a big-difference in this map!

Siege Archer: "Ahahahah! Feel the fire of my coals! Taste the flames of vengeance as I wrought fiery death upon you!"

Warmaster: (Scratches his butt with his axe, looks at the archer with a nonchalant face.) "Whatever, dewd." (Walks over and pulps her in a single hit.)

Siege Archer: "Alas! An axe to the skull! My only weakness!"

-True story.

Seriously. I think people forget that taking down a foe's Strength is both the best defensive and offensive option all wrapped in one. If taking a point or two of damage lets me kill an Archer or maim a guy's axe arm, I gladly will.

The fire pit divides not just armies. It divides those who differ between trying to win cleanly, and those who aren't afraid to get a little ash on their boots to get bloody... in the favorable way.
    Last edited by Greix; 04-04-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Adding my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Greix View Post
    -True story.
    Hahahaha, I think you nailed it, Greix! That's the #1 response to people whining about this map.

Maps are a great way to add some extra diversity to the game. There are already a lot of possible builds and setups, but any more is always welcome - even at the cost of a minor advantage for a certain class (even better, different maps make it harder for a cookie cutter build to emerge).

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    (even better, different maps make it harder for a cookie cutter build to emerge).
    Towards preventing the emergence of "unbeatable" builds (and/or decreasing the need to constantly patch-out such builds), I agree that map-diversity is one of the simplest and prettiest solutions.

Alas, as with all diversity-based solutions (more maps, more units, more skills, more rules!), its bound to stop somewhere/sometime: devs will move-on to other projects, players will identify the best solution for all scenarios etc. All of which means that TBSF could end-out like chess... And here is where the ELO thing becomes important, i.e. players to be able to battle against their equals. Yesterday, I QuickMatched against an ELO>1500 player, high-up in the leaderboards (I am ~1050, residing in the 1000+ area! ), and I can tell you it was instructional but not entertaining at all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2