Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Initial Deployment (+ firepit-map, Texas hold'em, Stalemate and double-or-nothing!)

Quote Originally Posted by franknarf View Post
    [totally off-topic:] Speaking of taking enemy units, let's have a Crazyhouse mode!
    I'm (personally) all-in for such wild-scenarios, but I think the community greatly prefers investing on tactics and consistency, and not on diversity and pluralism (a lot of adjectives there! ).

Imagine what will happen when the single-player game is launched, where there will be much more material to draw/inspire from!

If anybody's still reading, I'm reviving this post with a more reasonable (and minor-scale) suggestion regarding initial deployment:

I've noticed that in the five maps currently available in Factions, the minimal allowable distance between the lines of the two combatants varies between 4-7 tiles. However, as the tiles are not marked on the map during initial deployment (and neither is the zone where your opponent is setting-up), the dangers or opportunities arising from this 3-tile "uncertainty" is not known to inexperienced players. Yesterday, I was playing with a power-4 team in order to promote a couple of cheaply-bought r0 units, and I ended up destroying my opponents' game with my warhawks from turn #2. Of course they surrendered () and I didn't get the kills I required...

TL;DR = Is it possible to clearly-mark all the tiles, as well as the zone where the opponent sets up, during initial deployment?

You mean show the other side tiles? That's actually a cool idea. Not sure if it can be squeezed in, but I'll ask about it. How do we avoid confusion from knowing which side we're supposed to set up in though?

Make the squares you're not setting up in red-bordered?

Red tiles? It would tie into what happens during the battle, and consistency is good.

Edit: beat me to it

But movements tiles are always blue. for whichever team you see moving. Its the team colors that are different only. I worry about how this could bug stuff up.

Rather than thinking where they can move to, think of the tiles in his deployment zone as pieces existing there in potentia and then it makes sense.

It does make sense. It's the implementation I'm concerned about. Sometimes what looks simple isn't as simple as that

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Great idea Aleonymous. I was thinking about same, but you were faster and created very nice picture .

you were faster and created a very nice picture
    My PhD supervisor is gonna block TBSF forum (like they block facebook on companies) if he finds out how much time I "waste" on doing stuff like this pic!

Anyway, the most "dangerous" map due to this uncertainty is The Wall, the very first Factions map... I'm sure every nub has "felt" it; I did!

This is good for new players. Once you're past the first few games, you pretty much know to set up 2nd or 3rd row - whichever map it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words:
    +1 to this. I never remember how many tiles there are between deployment zones and end up approximating by stretching fingers using my zone as a reference It looks really silly.

To Aleonymous: Then pretend you study Factions from educational point of view: possible combinations, strategy and decision making etc... .

I have little suggestion about deployment too. When deploying units, I can see portraits of my team in lower left corner. It would be nice to see portraits of opponent's team in lower right corner. I can see opponent's team only for few seconds and then usually forget his composition during deployment. If portraits were available, it would possible to look at it and then adjust position of my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    When deploying units, I can see portraits of my team in lower left corner. It would be nice to see portraits of opponent's team in lower right corner. I can see opponent's team only for few seconds and then usually forget his composition during deployment.
    +1. Yup, this is another issue I often have too: "is his backbiter acting before or after the siege-archer, and that last guy, was that a warrior or a warmaster?"

@Kuba: I'm afraid my thesis is quite far from those areas of research!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    I have little suggestion about deployment too. When deploying units, I can see portraits of my team in lower left corner. It would be nice to see portraits of opponent's team in lower right corner. I can see opponent's team only for few seconds and then usually forget his composition during deployment. If portraits were available, it would possible to look at it and then adjust position of my team.
    Very good suggestion. While waiting for a game I usually browse the net and when I hear the horn I'm often too late to see how my opponents team looks like. (Does he have a back biter, does he have siege archers, does he use warhawk battering ram...)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3