Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Combat (1)

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Combat (1)

Click to Zoom In

As excited as I am for this, I do have a few misgivings about the battle view. The battle space seems a bit...small. How long are individual battles meant to last anyway?

It also seems a bit undetailed, with only a few rocks and bushes (trees?) that appear to block movement. Not a major issue, but it would be nice if there was a variety of terrain types with different effects.

Those two complaints are relatively minor and subjective though, since it would depend on how the combat will end up working. I think my biggest concern is that the foreground art is too big.

The dev team will have a better response for you on this but one thing I would like to point out is the game is still in development. Traditionally, you save the fine-tuning and icing for the end because you want to ensure the overall features and mechanics are working as intended before getting to the polish.

So, what you see above is the beginning - not the final result of what the end-game will look like.
    Sean "Ashen Temper" Dahlberg
    http://www.seandahlberg.com/

I understand. I assume this is just a prototype.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I understand. I assume this is just a prototype.
    Right, Aaron. This was a proof of concept shot that we were, at the time, playing on a real world 16x16 board to test and design the combat. We wanted to show the basic look and feel of combat and how the characters would animate, but this board seen in the video is smaller than the average board you'll be playing on when the game goes live. To be fair, some of the boards will be smaller than that if the story calls for it, but most will be bigger, some far bigger.
    Thanks for the noticing!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    ... some far bigger.
    This sounds really interesting
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Is there any chance you guys will give us a rundown of the underlying mechanics of the combat before multiplayer is released, or do i just have to wait and see?

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfly View Post
    Is there any chance you guys will give us a rundown of the underlying mechanics of the combat before multiplayer is released, or do i just have to wait and see?
    We totally plan on giving full rundowns on all the combat mechanics (and other mechanics as well). Currently we are absolutely slammed and having trouble taking time to eat lunch.
    People like Sean help us a bunch, he's managing these forums pro-bono and saving us a ton of time.
    We're within a day or two of being able to play multiplayer combat over the net, which is a milestone. We're still working on balancing the game and stats so we don't want to talk in depth about them until we're positive they're nailed down. What we say on these forums we want to be final.
    Next week, maybe Monday, we'll be doing the first post about a character class showing how we take a rough visual idea and carry it through to the game. We could also give a brief rundown on how the character will operate in battle. I'm really excited to start sharing our combat system mechanics with you all.
    Thanks for the questions!

Next week, maybe Monday, we'll be doing the first post about a character class showing how we take a rough visual idea and carry it through to the game. We could also give a brief rundown on how the character will operate in battle. I'm really excited to start sharing our combat system mechanics with you all.
    Awesome. Mechanics, especially relating to combat, are what I salivate over. Seeing your process of character creation should be an adventure as well.

We're within a day or two of being able to play multiplayer combat over the net, which is a milestone.
    Um. Where do I sign up?

Thanks for the answer!
    And I’m very much looking forward for the following weeks!