Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ask Away!

Ask Away!

So I thought I would post this up with a lot of folks currently new to the game and asking the same questions over and over.

Rather than do a huge FAQ ( I don't have that much time) I thought I would put this thread up and if you happen to have a question I will happily answer it for you. Now please note I am not a Dev nor a mod just a player. But thought I would offer this out there for anyone needing help with the game. I will check this thread a few times a day and will answer as and when I check any outstanding.
    For some good tips though I would suggest this thread here What-have-you-Learned-to-becoming-a-Better-Player might also be useful

So using this as an example of a thread from before Warhawk-friendly-fire

The WarHawk (WH) special ability... When activated the floor shows purple tiles and the two/three/four you will hit show filled, they are clockwise from the unit selected. Higher ranks of the ability don't have to be selected when the WH is higher rank you still get to choose and pay the relevant will power cost for the right rank so 1,2,3 will hit 2,3 or 4 targets clockwise respectively.

Please note this will also hit your own units it is not enemies only. Sometimes this can be a benefit for turn advantage, killing of a crippled useless unit etc.

So any questions fire away, and if I don't know the answer I will bug Arnie,Raven or if needed Tirean,Netnazgul or someone until I find out

Thanks so far for contributions by:
    Leartes
    Netnazgul
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-05-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Q1 How to use the Skystriker and her ability - Submitted by mindflare77 Skystriker
    Q2 How to use the Siege Archer - Submitted by mindflare77 Siege Archer
    Q3 Do you need exertion to be able to use a special ability? - Submitted by Rensei
    Exertion and ability use
    Q4 The Provoker 0 exertion and rank 2 ability - Submitted by Rensai Provoker
    Q5 Skystriker rank 2 and 3 ability - Submitted by Rensai Skystriker
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.

and being ever the optimist reserve number 2

What would be some effective ways to use a Rank 1 Skystriker? I've been discussing with a friend of mine, and he posits that Skystrikers are basically useless. I struggle to defend them because I'm very hit-or-miss with how useful they are in a given match for me. Either I do great (catch a Thrasher moving towards me on his turn for 8 STR [Thank you, Puncture!] to kill him, which is awesome) or I do terrible (Goodbye, four wasted turns and willpower!).

Also, are Siege Archers as... squishy as they seem? I feel like they are relatively soft, for needing to be closer to the front lines to be used efficiently. I don't have any, as I'm hesitant to upgrade a unit to something I won't like when renown is more difficult to come by for me.

Thanks!

Skystrikers:
    To me they have 3 uses. In the beginning they can deal armor break or they can deny space. Breaking is pretty straight forward and not super willpower-efficient so I won't say much about that, but controling space is their special use. There are several ways to do that. Very early many opposing units can only reach your units over a specific way. (e.g. max move range) If you fear a unit you can block its path by an arrow. This is pretty hard for raiders but very easy for large varl. You can freely move into a warhawks range if you can block the warhawks attack path.
    Another option is to keep an eye open for choke-points (e.g. between a terrain feature and a raidmaster in stonewall, or between two opposing units) and place an arrow next to that point. Yet, another option are corners. If you know someone has to move around a corner (e.g. some varl) and you place an arrow diagonally to that corner even small units have to take a very long way to circumvent the arrow.

Now, all these tactical option are only useful if you can hit/block a target that would otherwise deal significant damage (and/or leave it in a vulnerable spot). The ability is certainly not easy to use well, but it is pretty strong.

Later in the game, the skystriker turns into a great damage dealer using his passive ability. You are correct though, it is not easy to protect him savely until that point. But that holds true for all archers.

Siege Archer:
    They are not squishy at all. Their armor got nerfed recently because they were just too tanky. When fighting with/against them, you have to keep in mind that they are pretty strong even with 1 strength left. The passive guarantees at least 2 break and 1 strength damage in all stages of the game. To take out a 9/7 siege archer you often have to break armor and hit her twice as she will deal guaranteed strength damage to you (and maybe you have to cross coals). So currently they are considered borderline overpowered in the current competitive scene. As far as I know, it is likely that we will see changes to her again in the future, so what I wrote above might not be true anymore after the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by mindflare77 View Post
    What would be some effective ways to use a Rank 1 Skystriker? … Either I do great (catch a Thrasher moving towards me on his turn for 8 STR [Thank you, Puncture!] to kill him, which is awesome) or I do terrible (Goodbye, four wasted turns and willpower!).
    The very first trick to using a SS is using it offensively rather than defensively. What do I mean by this, well have you ever thought about a position where you wanted a unit to go and hit a particular unit of yours? How about putting the trap to stop him going the wrong way? Or putting the trap to pin a particular unit in place due to surround and fear/trap stopping them moving. These are the ideal uses, not the typical reaction of I will fish to try and trap someone on the way to hitting X. Some great explanation by Leartes I will add on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leartes View Post
    Controling space is their special use. There are several ways to do that. Very early many opposing units can only reach your units over a specific way. (e.g. max move range) If you fear a unit you can block its path by an arrow. This is pretty hard for raiders but very easy for large varl. You can freely move into a warhawks range if you can block the warhawks attack path.
    Another option is to keep an eye open for choke-points (e.g. between a terrain feature and a raidmaster in stonewall, or between two opposing units) and place an arrow next to that point. Yet, another option are corners. If you know someone has to move around a corner (e.g. some varl) and you place an arrow diagonally to that corner even small units have to take a very long way to circumvent the arrow.
    Don’t forget though ultimately the SS is an archer and does puncture in the say way a BM or SA does too. So if you have statted them right (you have got them 7/8/7/3/1 right?) then you can use them as a decent damage dealer with that 3 exertion too. Check out some of Tireans early vids here Tirean's videos in particular this one 4x Team Here he uses a 4x tactic which along with the 10/7 build he has you cannot do anymore due to things like this However this shows that they are power houses and still are so, they are very much a part of most top player builds at the moment although usually in one of these types of builds https://tinyurl.com/cwcmqd2 and https://tinyurl.com/d28675e.
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Hey. Couldn't find the answer anywhere:

Some troops have the option to have their exertion stat reduced to zero after promotion. My question is - if I leave a guy on, for example, 0 exertion and 2 willpower, will he still be able to use his ability or is the willpower just lost (since he obviously wont be able to use it to improve movement or attacks)?

Ability is not influenced by exertion anyhow. Exertion is a way to use willpower for extensive movement and attacks, while active abilites are totally independent from that and can be used for any level up to your character's rank. For example, you can have your Backbiter statted as 12/10/6/0/3 (0 exertion) and he will still be able to use his Run Through at any level you choose (with respective willpower cost).
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    Hey. Couldn't find the answer anywhere:

Some troops have the option to have their exertion stat reduced to zero after promotion. My question is - if I leave a guy on, for example, 0 exertion and 2 willpower, will he still be able to use his ability or is the willpower just lost (since he obviously wont be able to use it to improve movement or attacks)?
    Hi Rensei good question and one that a lot of people ask!

Exertion is only for increasing your movement or you break/Strength hits with will power. So you do not need exertion to be able to use your ability, however your unit will have less movement options and less burst damage options.
    As Netnazgul says above
    Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    For example, you can have your Backbiter statted as 12/10/6/0/3 (0 exertion) and he will still be able to use his Run Through at any level you choose (with respective willpower cost).
    So you will still use your will power in either 1,2 or 3 amounts depending on rank of ability used, so it is not wasted!
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-05-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks for quick answers! I am toying with Provoker and want him to have as much survivability as possible, while editing the stats I noticed I could reduce the exertion to zero.

While we're at it - I have the option to take him straight to level 2 - do You think it's a good idea? I always had problems with his short taunt range.

Thanks for quick answers! I am toying with Provoker and want him to have as much survivability as possible, while editing the stats I noticed I could reduce the exertion to zero.

While we're at it - I have the option to take him straight to level 2 - do You think it's a good idea? I always had problems with his short taunt range.
    Exertion 0 is fine when you think about not using his damage etc, however he will move very slow, sometimes even 1 exertion helps with getting him into battle. Not saying 0 is bad, just worth considering depending on your battles.

Rank 2 is a whole new ball game, firstly it depends on what level your playing at. If I am honest I only play either power 6 or power 12 teams. If by ranking him to 2 you are playing power 7 then you might struggle to get matches for example. Power 6 and 12 is where the action is at right now due to tournaments and ranked matches.

However yes provokers shine better at higher ranks, the ranged taunt is great especially when paired with a SS and her trap or a SA and her coals as the taunted unit will run to the provoker to hit (assuming melee) or ensure they are at a range they can shoot (archer)
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    New player with questions not answered - Then Ask-Away!

Can anyone explain how does a level 3 SS ability work? I have seen it mentioned few times here that it does a minimum of 6 health damage (1+2+3) to fully armored enemy.
    From the ability description it looks to me that she shots 3 x 10dmg arrows (3 arrows +2str to each, assuming she is maxed on 8hp/str). Those 3 shots benefit from puncture, but since we are talking about the very beginning of the game, that is not an issue. So from my calculations she can hurt a well armored enemy for 3hp (those shots can't miss, can they?).

Can anyone explain how does a level 3 SS ability work? I have seen it mentioned few times here that it does a minimum of 6 health damage (1+2+3) to fully armored enemy.
    From the ability description it looks to me that she shots 3 x 10dmg arrows (3 arrows +2str to each, assuming she is maxed on 8hp/str). Those 3 shots benefit from puncture, but since we are talking about the very beginning of the game, that is not an issue. So from my calculations she can hurt a well armored enemy for 3hp (those shots can't miss, can they?).
    Close, the reason it works as 1+2+3 is that the arrows do the base 1 damage at rank 1. at rank 2 you fire two arrows, the normal base 1 damage plus the second which is now 1+1 so 2 and rank 3 follows on so base will be 1+2+3. Yes they all work with puncture and they add effective STR to the archer if at full str and the opponent has low shield it will do the damage applicable for the Str of the archer(+puncture) then the same again +1 str and again +2 str for rank 3 arrows.
    Ahh ok, thanks a lot. Just saw it confirmed on Slimsy's vid. Must have misunderstood the description.

So to make it clear - the first arrow is normal, second comes with +1dmg added after armor calculations and third with +2dmg?
    Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    It does (str) + (str+1) + (str+2) damage with a minimum 100% hit of 1+2+3. So if you have strength overhit, you get a lot of bonus damage to deal from RoA.
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-10-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    New player with questions not answered - Then Ask-Away!

Ahh ok, thanks a lot. Just saw it confirmed on Slimsy's vid. Must have misunderstood the description.

So to make it clear - the first arrow is normal, second comes with +1dmg added after armor calculations and third with +2dmg?

I believe that is correct, Rensei.

It does (str) + (str+1) + (str+2) damage with a minimum 100% hit of 1+2+3. So if you have strength overhit, you get a lot of bonus damage to deal from RoA.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

I wanted to ask if a enemy unit commit suicide who gets the kill (is the same with WH frendly fire)?

During my playtime I got few questions:
    1) Is it possible to dismiss units to less than 6 and at same time have not enough renown to hire new ones?
    2) What is highest possible damage and armor-break done by single unit?

1. There should be something in the game to prevent this. However, there is no safeguard to prevent you from having less than 6 units you can field but having exactly 6 units (i.e. having a roster of 4 raiders 1 archer, 1 varl for example) when a 3 raider limit is in place. This means you have a total of 6 units, but only 5 which can be fielded.

2. Hmm...highest possible damage (str) would have to be Sky striker Rank 3 RoA

3 Arrows that also use puncture. If you struck the highest armor unit in the game while it was at 0 (PK) who has an armor max of 18, thats +9 effective strength. The arrows also do +1,+2,+3 str at Rank 3

So.

8+1+9 = 18
    8+2+9 = 19
    8+3+9 = 20

18+19+20= 57 str damage

Highest break in a single strike goes to WL who can have 4 natural +3 willpower boost for a single strike break of 7.

SM takes second place with 6 break in a single strike. Note his BtP can go as high as 4 break in retaliation vs a melee strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    During my playtime I got few questions:
    1) Is it possible to dismiss units to less than 6 and at same time have not enough renown to hire new ones?
    2) What is highest possible damage and armor-break done by single unit?
    1. Someone in Strand chat a few days ago did claim he was stuck having dismissed his 6th unit without renown to hire. That's probably a bug though and I reported it as such.

2. A Warleader can do 4 Break +3 Exertion for 7 in one hit, a Shieldmaster can do 4 break +2 bonus from level 3 power (so 6), +4 if the enemy he hit hits him back. The Warmaster can cause 3 break to be added to his adjacent to target impact wave at level three. A Strongarm level 3 can hit for 5break+ number of units the target passes through (a varl could pass through 4 units)

For damage, the most that can be done to a single target is a Level 3 Skystriker using Rain of arrows with puncture bonus on a unit with high armor that's been broken to zero armor. This isn't really practical. A 16 Strength level 3 Warhawk can do 16 damage to 4 armor broken to 0 targets at once, plus his adjacent target shockwaves. More practically, he can hit two targets with 8 armor for 8 damage each, then have them shockwave each other for 1 more damage each. A Warmaster can do 18 damage to a single target with Sundering impact 3, +3 damage to anything adjacent to target.
    Last edited by Kletian999; 04-12-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast