22 40.00%
  • Shieldmaster

16 29.09%
  • Warleader

17 30.91%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class Battle #3: Provoker vs. Shieldmaster vs. Warleader

Class Battle #3: Provoker vs. Shieldmaster vs. Warleader

It's officially been one week since the second class battle kicked off, which can only mean one thing... another class battle! Which of the three remaining giant horned teddy bears (formerly known as Varl) is factions favorite? YOU MUSH CHOOSE!. Regardless of who would win in a fight club stylized brawl, which is your favorite?

VS. VS.

Previous Results (If you haven't voted in a previous class battle don't fret, you still can!)

Class Battle #1: Warhawk and Strongarm still nearly tied, Warmaster wins "most likely to lose a class battle" award
    Class Battle #2: Bowmaster has a slight lead with the Skystriker and Siege Archer not far behind!
    Last edited by Slimsy Platypus; 04-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    You mean Warleader Slimsy!
    You are absolutely correct I do - now to figure out how the heck to edit the poll

Perhaps I need mod assistance? For the time being everyone assume Warmaster = Warleader - oops!

I still voted Shield Master but your stream last night made me believe in the power of the Warleader.

Provoker, with increased range taunt and RoA can do some serious damage
    I have felt the pain first hand Taunt at range is killer!
    Last edited by HeadOpener; 04-05-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Perhaps I need mod assistance?
    Indeed you do.
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

Quote Originally Posted by Guğmundr View Post
    Indeed you do.
    Thanks! I assume you used your mender like mod power to adjust the title which is now reading appropriately!

The other two have much cooler abilities, but I've only really used the SM for the last couple months, so he gets my vote.

I voted Warleader because the swingy stuff he does can sometimes greatly swing in your favor

... but... I love playing with each of these units!

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Thanks! I assume you used your mender like mod power to adjust the title which is now reading appropriately!
    No problem. I've never thought about it that way before. Maybe the mods should be renamed "Community Menders"

I voted Provoker, mostly because of Malice, which is a good counter for a wide variety of strategies.

I've honestly never tried a SM before, but I've played against lots of them, and haven't been very impressed. Fairly easy to counter with a couple of archers.

The WL only seems to be particularly valuable at higher ranks. Although, his possibility for 7 AB makes him pretty frightening if statted that way (4 AB on a Stonewalled r1 RM!)
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

If moderators are menders, then you are a "Super Mender" or something like that.

I voted provoker as I just started using one and he is more fun than expected. Also my I lost too many games with my beloved warleader to trust him anymore. The old geezer is out for now.

Why is Warleader here instead of Strongarm (the third Shieldbearer "mutation")?

Voted on Shieldmaster, since I've found the most use for him and his magnificent basic break of 4. He is a serious threat even on low hp and the enemy needs to think twice before trying to take him down with anything else than archers (also, on my level some people still use Bloody Flail against him ^_^).

I know the others have their moments, but the taunt range on Provoker always seemed a bit too short (especially paired with his low mobility) and majority of times I was better off just smacking enemy archer in the face instead of shutting her down for one round. As for Warleader, the ability is sweet and unique but messing with turn order tends to end bad for my troops and it seems like a wasted turn (even though You can use his big, 4 square ass to block some routes, and then use it).

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    Why is Warleader here instead of Strongarm (the third Shieldbearer "mutation")?
    We did a SRM vs WH vs WM poll the other day Class Battle #1 due to the way they are played I think rather than base class perhaps?
    New player with questions not answered - Then Ask-Away!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOpener View Post
    We did a SRM vs WH vs WM poll the other day Class Battle #1 due to the way they are played I think rather than base class perhaps?
    Precisely. SRM is almost always a hitter and not a breaker ; often more offensive than defensive. In his most popular version (14/14 or 13/15) he is just a warrior with a shield (and a cool ability).

WL can be either a hitter or a breaker ; but even as a hitter there is no reason to choose him over the WH (Tempest is way too strong a hit) or WM (higher strength + usefulness when maimed). Unless of course you want him as a Utility unit, mainly for his ability, in which case he falls more in the same category as the PK.

I voted WL, although it's a close call with PK. The recent addition of pathfinding has made the malice weaker in a lot of situations (against archers or with turn advantage) ; To use the new ranged Malice it would be best to put him at rank 3. The WL on the other hand can have good results at rank 1 (I have no idea how I failed to see that before he got the upper ranks...) and can still make a pretty good warrior (9/15/5/2/0). Some say that his ability is too predictable at rank 1, but my recent experience with him tends to say the contrary... Maybe it's because he's still very under used so people are not used to him ?
    Anyway, WL is a lot of fun when the stars align !

I'm actually using SA WL WL SS BB BB rank 1 build now and it's really a lot of fun and quite effective. Two warleaders can make AWESOME things such as boosting each other with their ability thus making your WL reach the place he couldn't reach before or making the timing of your strike right. Archer harassment is the most trivial thing after all. The range of tactical possibilities they give is very great and that'why i choose WL
    upd: Oh, and i use them as hitters.

From these three giants I am using only Shieldmaster, easy choice for me.

I still like the shieldmaster, because he is the one unit closest to a 'tank'. He can do some good break and no opponent likes to attack him, because of his ability. He and the raidmaster make up a great front row, so the rest of the team can flank the enemy.
    Plus he's not getting maimed because of his good break, so I get turn-advantage.

Though I think, I should give the provoker yet another try. Just did not use him for too long.

PK.solely on art.

Simple answer to me:

Provoker has the best counter in the game: prevent a Raidmaster from getting his special off.

That alone will win games. Compare that to other classes and their specials, and there isn't as great of a counter in the game than Provoker (maybe SS!). With all the RMs out there right now, he's indispensable.

I'd argue it's situational . The game doesn't solely revolve around RM's. You can play without them and still win, so it's not necessary to have a specific counter for them.

SM is better for armor damage output. WL is good for some unexpected plays, flexibility, and mobility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast