Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Applet for displaying Topview of a match snapshot -- A plea

One quick issue report - when opening on 1280x1024 display, right buttons are not seen thus not accessible, so everything I see is this:

Also those buttons don't work, and I have no idea how to delete or restat existing units, would guess that is not implemented in this build right now
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

The above area is going to be all that You'll see in the final version.
    The "skull", "angry guy" and "banners" buttons are not linked yet so I took em off the drawing board. You can only see them when viewing in a wide browser window.
    Same goes for the initiative bar - it will be 12 spaces long but I will probably cut parts of it as the number of units drops (for now even the cutting function is not in, so the leftover part "sticks out" on wider resolutions).

I can hide them better if they bother You. Or publish the next version as an .exe (swf+built in swf player - didn't want to do that earlier as browsers do the job just fine and downloading .exe files from unknown sources is never a good practice ^_^).

I just wanted to check in with You guys to see if it's going in the right direction and avoid "design flaws" (I'm quite happy with it, but as its mommy shouldn't be allowed to judge ^_^).

Rensei...this is wonderful <3. It's looking real sharp. Incredibly cool stuff here.

https://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%202.swf
    Small update - mousing over unit will increase its stat_shield size making it easier to read the current stats of human units. It will also reveal two small buttons - green angry guy for editing and red skull for removing the moused over unit.
    Testing the edit functionality will be appreciated.

Now onto print screen, map selection and save/load. Nazgul has some wicked music choice on his stream

EDIT: Last picked up unit lands on top of the stack stopping all others from hiding parts of it.
    Increased size to 1000x800px, all maps resized, adjusted and in app, but not yet available. The app has grown twice in size as a result :/ Some slower computers might have problems with it.

Zoom in - since it is a swf You can access the right-click functionality, zoom in/out amongst it. Hopefully the stat_shield growing in size will also help.
    Last edited by Rensei; 04-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Latest version uploaded - options screen is in, adding horn status edit and map choice. All maps are in and the grid is drawn for each one excluding the blockers (You can still drag units onto the blank spots, or outside the map, if it is smaller than 16 tiles - I think I'll leave this one up to the user).

My brain almost fired and I lost few matches because I was counting the tiles instead of paying attention :]

Wow, it's looking really good!

I guess there's just the initiative bar and adding coals left now? Maybe you could also have one of the maps be a sandbox (like your old ones) with a plainer looking background and the ability to place blockers/posts (as before)? You might also want to set the default value for the horns to zero (not 6). It's already very useful as-is, though!

Do you know, when you zoom in, is there a way in Flash to pan around or do you just have to zoom out again?

I encountered an amusing bug. When modifying the stats of some units (sometimes it takes several modifications), the base side of the unit changes. I have archers who take up 2x2 tiles, or Varl who shrink down to human size.

All in all though, this is an excellent tool and I am very excited to see the progress being made!

Thanks Yth! Looking into it.

https://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf

The unit issue seems to be no more, managed to make the edit unit function work better while I was at it, please do test it (the edit screen should now properly inherit the stats and limitations of the selected unit). The shield should no longer stretch weird when the unit has taken some "damage".

Also... ZOOOOM! The 3 new buttons are: zoom in x 2, save the map area as image, zoom out. While zoomed You can use the standard gamers WASD to navigate around. You should not be able to drag the map outside its starting limiters. Please notify me if You managed to do that

The map and units are still active while zoomed - do You guys think I should leave it like that or disable them?

Hello again Rensei. No need to keep repeating how awesome this looks!

Love the in-game maps. You found the files inside the game-directory, right? There were some huge 10MB png ones, if I recall correctly. The IKEA wood survived as the panel background, eh?

The zoom works fine, for my taste. Leaving map&units active is, I guess, the preferred behavior.

Just some random stuff:
    1. Edit-unit: The max-point distribution is still unbound, with the red-font-color indicating you've surpassed the limit. It doesn't hurt (nor add), just mentioning it.
    2. Edit-unit: Perhaps some "live" adjusting of current STR/ARM/WP with mouse-over & mouse-wheel while on the map? I was thinking of something like what you've already done inside the edit-unit-UI, on the right panel. You know, e.g. when Stats-Banner is maximized, or by first clicking a unit and then doing the changes through the unit-details-panel on the bottom-right of the map-UI. This would make faster when reviewing possible battle moves/combinations.
    3. Units can still be placed on "blockers", even tho the yellow-rectangle does not highlight them on mouse-over.
    4. Overlay (Horn & Initiative). I guess this is not still implemented, just a placeholder, right?
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-29-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Indeed this is amazing. Gonna review this in depth. I think we can get this featured on-site somehow, soon.

Edit: I LOVE IT <3.
    Last edited by raven2134; 04-30-2013 at 07:09 AM.

https://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf

Options screen now has two new buttons - starting player selection and toggle display of starting locations on all maps. Note that due button class limitations the checkboxes themselves are not clickable (same with text on the horn buttons on the same screen). Will probably have to create my own button class later on.
    Also the player selection change only takes effect after the map has been changed or display locations turned off/on again. Before that, the display will assume the blue one is on top. This will be changed once I know where I want to use the starting player information (or never - this way it requires less operations).

Ikea sandbox map added

Well, that was fast. Looks great; nice lettering for Ikea!

For doodads I'm thinking I'll just throw the icons of buffs/debuffs, burned ground, fire and blocker together for the user to place at his will (the burned, fire and blocker will snap to grid, the icons will be up to the user). This should allow displaying more complex situations.

Holy...even more sweet stuff?! WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Temporary save/load from file now in.

Current format looks like this:
    "{type:U,u_type:14,u_owner:2,u_x:250,u_y:450,u_a:7 ,u_s:7,u_w:8,u_e:2,u_z:1,u_l:0,u_current_a:4,u_cur rent_s:5,u_current_w:3}"
    and should be quite self explanatory (Unit, Strongarm, Red side, position, stats, current stats). Better not to mess with the files though - let the app do the work.
    Will do more once I got that doodads (type) in.

Next version should be able to save the units and doodads.

Step after that should be base64 coding/decoding so I can finally work with DaveMo's format.

Another update.
    Go to DaveMo's battle planner (https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/) and create Your team. Copy the whole link after. Open my app (https://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf for online viewing or https://www.sendspace.com/file/zrssfx for direct download), go to the options page and paste the code into textbox named DaveMo import, click on one of the buttons below (the whole team will go either to the blue or red player, and be positioned in a line in his starting zone, clicking both buttons will create a mirror match versus the two players) and close the options. Et voilą !

The interface sucks balls, but the huge step has been made. I will probably put the whole thing under load battle button later on. This might be the last thing I do since I got only 9 days left on my flash trial.
    Last edited by Rensei; 05-05-2013 at 04:35 PM.

This totally awesome feature eventually made it, eh? Great! Now battles are ready to be fought and emulated.

I'd suggest you focus your efforts on something more critical like the initiative-bar ("overlay"). Btw, a bug-report: I keep seeing these portraits (a raider and/or an archer) when I'm in the "Options" menu, or when "Overlay" is enabled. I'm sure this is some sort of left-over/to-do/bug thing related to initiative, right?

Be sure to save your source-code/project or whatever. I'm sure there's a way to keep working with Flash, assuming you're willing to and not too bored of this app!

As most of this thread has been about Rensei's excellent work, please continue posting in her dedicated thread (unless you have some competing/independent project going on ).

. . . 17 months later . . .

I came back to reply to a demand I myself made more than a year ago So, here's a pre-alpha version of a project I recently undertook, trying to re-make TBS/F in a small lightweight Java program:

Aleo's TBSF JavaReMake (Dijkstra pathfinding algorithm, for 1x1 and 2x2 sized units, in a board with random blockers)

Instructions: Download this Java executable (.JAR) to your computer, and double-click to open it as a regular program. I believe you must have Java v8 (check your Java JRE version here: "Do I have Java?") for that one to function, but I might compile it with b/w compatibility to v7 too. The rest is pretty self-explanatory: First you select if you wanna "be" a 1x1 (human) or 2x2 (Varl) sized unit, presented by a red (set of) tiles; black tiles are blockers, and click on blue/yellow tiles to move around until you reach the green tiles. Re-start the program to reseed the random blocker and victory-tile locations

EDIT #1: The filename "Dijkstra" comes from the pathfinding algorithm I used.
    EDIT #2: This project is closely related to the one I started a while ago (check this thread) which was written in MATLAB, a not so end-user-friendly language
    EDIT #3: Updated to latest version (which is not so recent, but still )
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 01-04-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast