Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Applet for displaying Topview of a match snapshot -- A plea

Question Applet for displaying Topview of a match snapshot -- A plea

Hello guys & gals,

There have been many instances throughout the forum when somebody wanted to make a point about some battle movement, a strategy, unit-placement etc. That was typically resolved with some "code-box" like the following:

.=empty tile, -=obstacle, c=coals, x=enemy-human, X=enemy-varl, y=ally-human, Y=ally-varl,
    Code:
    .cc..
    xccy.
    .XX..
    .XXYY
    .--YY
    Well, the above is abstract-enough to make simple points, but is barely usable when trying to describe complicated situations or subtle points. Inspired by dmosher's "tbs-factions-battle-planner" (for building/displaying team-lineups), I was wondering if someone could (cuz I can't ) build a similarly "light" applet-thingy that allows fast&easy sketching-out of a combat snapshot, e.g. like in the following picture:

Being somehow "scriptable", this kind of applet could also help replay (or just play!) matches, when the game's log-files are eventually fully decoded & functional.

*** I hope that Stoic have their IPR clear, and will not worry about people starting to playing TBSF offline, e.g. like chess in parks!

+1. Yeah, if only we could drag and drop characters from DaveMo's editor onto a grid...

+1

This would be awesome. It'd also help in explaining things to new players.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

+1 I could try but only in about 2 months time (heavy deadlines at work)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Laughter View Post
    +1 I could try but only in about 2 months time (heavy deadlines at work)
    I guess any progress whatsoever is welcome. Myself, I am too unacquainted with web-app-dev, so it would take me 2 months to figure things out! I stress that the key point is developing something practical (like davemo's thingy) that can be very easily used/embedded anywhere on the web-community.

If you have any ideas or suggestions or guidelines for newbies, please share. It could inspire the courage needed to undertake the task!

I made dis!
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/frbzzb

Quick and dirty version, done in flash, loads of flaws.

For now You can add units on a 11x8 grid (limit of 11, NOT foolproof - Your computer might explode upon exceeding it), changing their class (click on the archer to prepare an archer, click once more for bowmaster etc.) and side (click blue/red side to change the prepared units border), cannot add fire/obstacles (yet, working on it), change the background (first thing I got working ^_^) and finally save the result as a .jpg file (the image is bigger than the grid - probably because of the additional workspace I am using - working on it).

Nice, Rensei! You've probably already considered this, but it would be nice to show the unit's stats somewhere, too (including rank).

Wow, this is awesome work Rensei! Keep it up. Two things:

(1) If you want any help with the bitmaps (grid-tiles, unit icons, red/blue icon-backgrounds, backgrounds, coals etc). I can give a hand. Just tell me the specs you're working with (file format, pixel-size etc).

(2) After you're done more-or-less with the UI-type-generation, you could consider implementing some sort of "scripting" to it. You know, feeding a simple text-file (?) with all the specs (units,types+specs,obstacles,positions) and having it generate the JPEG directly from it.

Version 0.2 is here!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d16ozf

Changes:
    - You can no longer move the grid (and it has been made nicer, just in case You've found a way);
    - AddFire/AddBlocker now here and working (there is also no limit to how much fire You can add, You can fill the whole map with fire!);
    - added a nicer background (Vikings would not approve this Ikea shit, but helps with visibility);
    - AddUnit screen made nicer, still working on displaying stats (tho it looks they might be very hard to read on human units, might need a bigger boat);
    - the resulting .jpg file is finally trimmed to 550x400 (might trimm it a bit more, so my ugly buttons won't be there);

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    you could consider implementing some sort of "scripting" to it. You know, feeding a simple text-file (?) with all the specs (units,types+specs,obstacles,positions) and having it generate the JPEG directly from it.
    Oh man, I knew it - You got me a fulltime job with this.
    Last edited by Rensei; 04-14-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    Vikings would not approve this Ikea shit, but helps with visibility.
    Swedish are Scandinavians, and so were vikings... Is there something of a history lesson there?

You got me a fulltime job with this.
    Hehehe, consider it offering to the community! You seem to be cruising at a very good pace; should be completed soon. One thing is functionality and another is aesthetics etc. Pick one and focus on target!

Gogogo!

Aaaaand version 0.3 is finished.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/m74okw

Changes:
    - stats are finally here, You can read them even on human units;
    - adjusted positioning and sizes;
    - third faction joined the fray - the dark side! (house Stark coming next);

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    One thing is functionality and another is aesthetics etc. Pick one and focus on target!
    I am, my Flash trial is done in few days so I'm focusing on it. Next stop - Photoshop trial and propper scaling.
    Last edited by Rensei; 04-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.

This is interesting...I'll keep an eye on it. Btw, why is there no way to remove a unit on the grid?

Also, wouldn't it make the most sense to pattern this against a game map? (to that end, would it work better if this was made bigger, i.e. more squares) All you'd have to do is count the squares.

You know, if this gets really polished, this would mean you could play the game via mail/correspndence just via the jpegs (forgot what this game type was called).

Man...the possibilities...

Yeah, if you zoom out to a full map as raven proposes, then the stats will be even harder to see (and they already make it hard to tell between raider/raidmaster). Maybe array red team on the left and blue team on the right (or above and below) with their stats? Then we could drag them into an initiative order, too. You'd still need a way of distinguishing between units of the same class on the same team (a crude solution would be a letter or number in the upper left of the unit icon...). Besides, you still need somewhere to show rank, which will make the stats even more crowded!

Nice third faction!

Yeah, fitting all the stats (apart from the Rank, don't forget the starting ARM and the max WP as well! that totals ~8 numbers plus a two-three acronym for the class-name) and still maintaining the portraits "nice" will be exceedingly difficult; at least from an aesthetic POV.

Ah well, I guess the programming-rules apply here too: (1) make it work, (2) make it work fast, (3) make it pretty. The first is almost done, the second needs some way, the third is quite far away (and too subjective to judge).

Ver 0.7

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rrue1o

Adds:
    - The Skull Of Removal - drag units/obstacles onto it to remove, units removed don't reduce the unit limit (me and Flash understand Arrays differently), said limit increased to 20, reaching it disables add unit option;
    - unit level indicator

Nice, the purple rank-circle fitted perfectly. I'm thinking that there is space to divide the ARM/STR/WP boxes with a diagonal slash, and place the current/starting values on top-left/bottom-right corners, respectively. Just a suggestion.

You're working on the "battle-loader" too, eh? Good, good! The whole thing ended out as "just" a weekend's project for you, and its done

PS - If you are interested in adding the actual in-game maps, here's a tip: Due to the isometric scaling of the game, if you pick any of maps (from snapshot etc) and stretch its height to 200% and then rotate it by 45deg coutner-clockwise, you get the exact top-view square-grid. Here's an example:

(minus the blue&gold squares, the units&banners etc) If you like I can work them out.

Quick update - while sipping some coffee this morning, I finally managed to make v.0.8 read and interpret simple txt files (tough bastard this one, still not as tough as v.0.5).
    Will do some polishing and present it after I'm back from work.

Next step: saving and/or reading/generating a short code for easy trading.

Getting the map any bigger would probably require starting the whole thing from a scratch (the current code is quite messy ).
    I think it would also require some permission from Stoic since what You are proposing is more or less rewriting their game in much (much) simpler form. You could ask them for some clean maps while You're at it :P

I think it would also require some permission from Stoic since what You are proposing is more or less rewriting their game in much (much) simpler form. You could ask them for some clean maps while You're at it :P
    I'm fairly sure Stoic wont hand out any official in-game material. Well, concerning these legal aspects, we could wait and hear something from the moderators or other "officials". In my opinion, if this thingy does not make any money and it does not *proven* reduce Stoic's income, then there's no need to worry over IPR. But, best keep it low anyways, cuz the guys are doing a terrific job, both in artistics and in game-design.

19.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #19
    Oh my...this could be really cool.
    Sending this thread the John to see if he can help out in any way.

Great news Arnie

https://www.sendspace.com/file/m371y1

As promised: v.0.7, able to read *.txt and *.btl battle files. It expects a series of 10 numbers separated with white signs (space, enter etc.):
    - side (0 for blue / 1 for red)
    - unit type (1-4 bangers, 5-8 warriors, 9-12 archers, 13-16 raiders)
    - stats (armor, hp, will, exertion, break, level)
    - X square number (1-10), Y square number (1-8)

Next version will either be able to create such files or go straight for reading/creating battles from strings of data. I'm looking into browser communication to allow something similar to the great battle planner.

Sample (creates column of all raider types at 1,1 and a column of all archer types at 2,1):
    Code:
    1 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 1 0 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 1 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 3
    0 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 4
    1 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 1
    0 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 2
    1 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 3
    0 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 4
    Last edited by Rensei; 04-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast