Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Applet for displaying Topview of a match snapshot -- A plea

You've done some wicked stuff Rensei!

-- One minor thingy (you're probably aware of it) : The blocker- & fire-tiles stay "on top" of the units, when they should be not-allowed & under-them, respectively.

-- One major thingy : If you manage to decode the tbs-battle-planner (or contact DaveMo about it!), ppl could prepare their builds there, and then copy-paste the URL containing all the info into you battle-reader that would then place the units on some default locations.

v.0.8 manages to translate the unit positions into the number-space-number-space string
    v.0.9 does the same for byte into char (for the pro looking random letters and signs string) but starts losing units if I go above 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    v.0.8 manages to translate the unit positions into the number-space-number-space string
    v.0.9 does the same for byte into char (for the pro looking random letters and signs string) but starts losing units if I go above 2
    I'm not sure what you're muttering there, but I guess is important! Methinks your "giant steps" of v0.1-->v0.5 will now slow-down a bit, now that debugging comes around. Keep up posted

v.0.8

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t4n0uk

Changes:
    - fire/blockers now land at the bottom of the stack, they should no longer cover units;
    - minor button/graphic changes;
    - loading/saving battles almost complete - only missing the saving to a file option;
    - experimented with some backgrounds (sadly Ikea still beats all);

The "code" remains the same - 10 numbers separated by white signs per unit. Press the "Code battle to the text field below" button to generate code representing current battlefield. Pass it to someone, and he can paste it to the upper text field, then press "Load battle from the below text field" button to see what You prepared. Fire/blockers won't be saved/loaded.

Still working on compressing it/trying to figure out how to connect it with Battle Planner code.

EDIT: Save to file now also works. alas it is very crude and leaves the puzzled user on the save/load screen. Will polish soon. Uploaded save to file version.

Another stepping stone
    https://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.swf?code=(enter my battle code here, the browser will automatically convert spaces to %20)
    the version on this site is bugged and requires some work but manages to successfully load the given code onto the board :]

example https://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.sw...05%206%207%207
    Last edited by Rensei; 04-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.

impressive work Rensei

This keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the "blockers" and coals will make it to import/export soon enough, a minor issue. Another new idea/feature (i keep buzzing you, eh? ); what about loading custom backgrounds? (jpeg or png, properly trimmed to dimensions etc)

That is wonderful work

Great work Rensei! Just of few minor features you may or may not want to add bases on how much more time you want to put into this thing:

-Some way to display the turn order would be really nice as that information can really change the dynamic of certain scenarios

-By that same token information on the status of the horn for each team would be good too.

-Some way to load custom portraits for the different units so that when a new class comes out or folks want to show scenarios for levels in the single player without need an update,

Again these things are pretty minor and you could almost release this now and walk away while still having done the game and the community a great service, but if you still have the energy the would probably have the most effort to improvement ratio

I am entering what 5 days ago would be S-F for me (5 days ago I didn't really believe I'd manage to make just the first step working). Just tested first mobile version for android O_o

Well, if Stoic need an extra hand in programming, they now know where to look for!

Some (more) suggestions/remarks:
    -- An "edit-unit" button/feature? For changing units' data after you've placed them.
    -- An easier way to +/- the stats (@create/edit unit), e.g. respective push-buttons? It'll be cool to have it "all mouse", i.e. no keyboard needed.
    -- About the fire/coal tiles: Some of way telling if a unit stands on fire?
    ** Blocks don't actually prohibit units from being place on them. A minor thing really...
    ** The Skull (upper-right) is for removing units, right? Put some tooltip describing it, as for the rest of the buttons.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 AM.

I'm trying to create a guide on the tactics board talking about positioning. My options for diagramming different examples of positioning are my own home brewed excel file grid, or images from this tool.

The one thing this tool is missing is a listing of the initiative order of the units (which I guess I can add in manually). Very nicely done!

Keep the ideas coming guys. I may not implement them all but it's a great motivation to keep me going.

Originally it was just supposed to be a simple unit positioning tool for people to arrange them the way they want, to explain map situation easier, and then prntscrn it into an image, so it has some limitations and adding things isn't always easy. Still - doing my best, while learning Flash :]

I attempted to start from scratch on java for this applet, but I admit I was soon proven too coward to make any real progress... Scientific programming is were my competence stops. If you considered starting a blog about your "ordeal" with this little devil, you're surely to have one eager reader

-- I think the main feature currently missing for true no-nonsense functionality is, as Bertez & Yth pointed out, some initiative order. Auto, manual whatever, just display-able. All other stuff are minor.

v.0.8a

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t27jrr
    https://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.swf?code= + (code here)

- Added MIN/MAX values for all units. New unit has its stats reduced to MIN value.
    - Stats of the new unit can be changed by clicking on the button below textfield (each click increases until MAX, then resets back to MIN), or mousing over the button and scrolling (up - increase, down - decrease, cannot go over MAX or below MIN).
    - Fires and blockers are being worked on in order to enable loading/saving their positions, as a result they are currently not drag-able.
    - Toyed around with buttons

Working on units list to act better, enable real deleting (current version only hides them ^_^) and include blockers. Once that is done creating initiative bar should be fairly easy, so I'll go there.

Great, the stat customization is vastly improved (mouse scroll-wheel), and the "glossy" iPhone-style attribute-icons look soooo sleek! Actually, almost too sleek for a viking themed applet

-- You could eventually place a check on the attribute-points allocated on the units stats. When all are at minimum the points available are 10+Rank, i.e. [10,11,12,13] for Ranks-[0,1,2,3]).

PS What happened to that dark-siders? Vadered?

Rensei, i'm computer illiterate and cannot figure out how to get this onto my mac and use it

Quote Originally Posted by stoicmom View Post
    Rensei, i'm computer illiterate and cannot figure out how to get this onto my mac and use it
    I'm not at all Mac-literate, but on windows/PCs this kind of applets are opened with the web-browser (I'm on Firefox). If you have installed/activated the flash-player (plugin etc) on the browser, it should work straight up.

@stoicmom
    https://get.adobe.com/pl/flashplayer/ -> get the latest Flash Player for Your browser/computer setup (care not to "accidentally" install Chrome).
    https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html -> get the latest standalone (does not require browser) player (scroll down to Standalone Player for Mac).

v.0.10
    To download click:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/5sxlfz
    To view online click:
    https://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap10.swf (?code= + paste code)

Changes:
    - Points spent and available now displayed in create unit panel, they will not block You spending more points than You have, but will notify by changing the font color to red.
    - Units and Blockers are now unlimited, strictly counted (I was losing one unit per cycle) and on separate groups.
    - Button gloss toned down :P
    - Dark side is no more (though Vader still lurks in the code, ready to strike back).

Hmmm, there seems to be some (minor) issues with the points allocation. Just pointing them out for you to quickly sweep:
    • Rank0 units are OK, cuz you actually cant change their stats!
    • Rank1,2,3 unit-stats all start at minimums, but the counter reads 10/1x (when it should read 0/1x)
    • Also, when changing a unit from R0->R1, the max-points allocated is not updated to 11. You have to raise the Rank manually, and decrease it, to get the max right.
    • That is also the case when changing back to R1->R0, i.e. the max-val should also be updated to 10.

So, what's for supper? The initiative thingy?
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast