Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Judge-My-Build Thread!

The Judge-My-Build Thread!

Hi Everybody!

I would like to inaugurate this new forum with thread devoted to the purpose of posting and evaluating builds. Basically a depository to see what folks are playing these days and what the general consensus is.

I'll start https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....EsMSwyXV1dXQ==

The idea behind this build is to control the battle field while generally maintaining a high durability. The Raiders and PKs go in first to form a wall and taunt enemy RMs out of stone wall. The Strongarm can protect the other flank if needed but can be kept back as a late game monster. There is a ton of armor break in this build so the archers benefit from puncture. Also, besides the BM every unit has some for of CC.

This build is fun to play but I kind of feel it is too puncture reliant a good slag an my archers can really hurt my chances for an ultimate victory. Anyone have any suggestions as to where i can put more strength damage.

Indeed, your build seems low on hitters. The BM should be able to hang back far enough to stay out of trouble, but it may be tricky for the SS.
    On the other hand, SnB will not be that much of a problem anymore in a few days, seeing as str damage will cap at 1.
    I'd still trade the SRM in for a WH or WM to come and squish those softened targets.

Here's my current build (p12).
    It's the result of my quest for a viable color-coordinated build (yes, I'm shallow like that). It's also an attempt a a SA-free build. It has done fairly well up until now, but I doubt it could go very far in tourney. Also I wonder how the SB buff would impact its competitiveness, it sounds like that should shift the meta away from 2 warriors. (this build already had a surprising amount of trouble with a 3 archer 2 shieldbanger build in the current meta...)
    The strategy behind the build is fairly straightforward : advance the 3 RMs, shields up, until one of them gets an opportunity to do a 13 strike on a squishy (archer, 9 or 10 arm warrior). Do 4 breaks while the WMs hang back, splatting any adventurous raider trying to get behind the line (with a break from the BM if necessary). When targets are softened, launch the WMs, see your opponent explode to bits. BM stays at a safe distance behind for late game punctures. People tend to neglect the RMs, usually leaving at least one a full or near health - that one is usually very good for moping up when the WMs are maimed.

I agree if you don't have a plan for the strongarm, using it just as a heavy hitter, some form of warrior would be better- speed is important in a hitter unless you enemy is foolish enough to walk to you. Maybe even a Warleader to provide Forge ahead when he's standing back protecting the archers.

I'll post a build now. This emerged from attempts to feed kills to my backbiter and provoker.
    https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....wxLDEsMl1dXV0=

Raidmaster starts the charge towards a warvarl or an archer, guarding until he can open a break, archers either lay additional break or early strength damage if the first break target is a war varl. The backbiter sweeps in to maim or kill what was targeted with run through. Provoker and warhawk stick together with the warhawk ready to smack anything that rushes my archers. The provoker grabs any threat the warhawk can't oneshot-maim to keep him safe or gets out of the way after things attacks him deliberately for the tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    SnB will not be that much of a problem anymore in a few days, seeing as str damage will cap at 1.
    the SB buff would impact its competitiveness
    you allude to upcoming changes twice in this thread. where are you reading the incoming changes?

Quote Originally Posted by vrolok83 View Post
    you allude to upcoming changes twice in this thread. where are you reading the incoming changes?
    I'd like to know as well what you meant by strngth cap at 1.
    Antway, here is a lvl 6 build, I use it because I like units look/colours match, but my poor 1200 Elo rating shows I don't know how to play it properly : https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....IsMiwxLDJdXV1d
    Or that I'm a poor player, as well.
    If you have suggestions, I'll gladly take it.
    Was thinking about 3 BB as well, but I don't know.

No Leaf Clover: I think your build lacks breakers, those two BB has 2-break and Strongarms has only 1-break, this way you can not utilize Puncture of your Bowmasters. Bowmasters have 2-break + 3 WP, but they can not do damage when they break. I suggest adding more breakers by switching one BB to Raidmaster or raising break of your Backbiters to 3. I would also consider changing one Strongarm to some kind of heavy-hitter like Warmaster or Warhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    No Leaf Clover: I think your build lacks breakers, those two BB has 2-break and Strongarms has only 1-break, this way you can not utilize Puncture of your Bowmasters. Bowmasters have 2-break + 3 WP, but they can not do damage when they break. I suggest adding more breakers by switching one BB to Raidmaster or raising break of your Backbiters to 3. I would also consider changing one Strongarm to some kind of heavy-hitter like Warmaster or Warhawk.
    well, I'll try with higher beak on the BBs, then cause other units' problem is.. colours don't fit !!

Hi folks. Noob here looking for some brutal opinions. https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....wzLDEsM11dXV0=
    My early attempt at a break/bowmaster build. Only have the one BM so far so threw in a SA for her break. I've been using it very aggressively with moderate success. Anyway, I will not offend you any more with my lack of expertise. Please tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by vrolok83 View Post
    I tend to forget not everyone feverishly combs this site for any scrap of information ^^
    Both these changes have been hinted at by Stoic in the Chatbox. There's too much backlog to find the actual quote though. The build featuring them should be out this week or early the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsturmer View Post
    Hi folks. Noob here looking for some brutal opinions. https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....wzLDEsM11dXV0=
    My early attempt at a break/bowmaster build. Please tell me what you think.
    It's actually a relatively solid build. I can see a couple of issues with it though, and they lie with your archers. 4 arm on your BM is just way too low. Unless she spends the game running away from enemy raiders at the edge of the map, she will get insta-killed or badly maimed in a heartbeat. Many discerning players will identify her as the highest priority target, and there's little you can do to protect her from a BB or an aggressive RM. Your WM (who should act as a deterrent, seeing how any raider trying to attack your archers is likely to get an axe to the face) is not enough ; if going for the insta-kill, having your raider maimed in return is probably worth it. It's the same with your SA, her armor is low enough that she will get maimed very badly on the first hit, which is especially dangerous considering how high she is in the turn order, and she can't hang as far back as the BM without losing a lot of efficiency.
    Assuming you replace the SA with a second BM, I'd advise to spec them both at 6/8/7/3/2. I would put your second raider before both archers in tihe turn order, and maybe replace him by a second RM (that's more personal preference than anything; although a 2(+2 once) break raider in a BM-centric build seems less than optimal. Two RMs has the advantage to help them protect each other with shieldwall). The rest of your unit stats are spot on I think.
    So to recapitulate I would rather play it like this : modified build
    Last edited by Butters; 04-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.

It's actually a relatively solid build. I can see a couple of issues with it though, and they lie with your archers. 4 arm on your BM is just way too low. Unless she spends the game running away from enemy raiders at the edge of the map, she will get insta-killed or badly maimed in a heartbeat. Many discerning players will identify her as the highest priority target, and there's little you can do to protect her from a BB or an aggressive RM. Your WM (who should act as a deterrent, seeing how any raider trying to attack your archers is likely to get an axe to the face) is not enough ; if going for the insta-kill, having your raider maimed in return is probably worth it. It's the same with your SA, her armor is low enough that she will get maimed very badly on the first hit, which is especially dangerous considering how high she is in the turn order, and she can't hang as far back as the BM without losing a lot of efficiency.
    Assuming you replace the SA with a second BM, I'd advise to spec them both at 6/8/7/3/2. I would put your second raider before both archers in tihe turn order, and maybe replace him by a second RM (that's more personal preference than anything; although a 2(+2 once) break raider in a BM-centric build seems less than optimal. Two RMs has the advantage to help them protect each other with shieldwall). The rest of your unit stats are spot on I think.
    So to recapitulate I would rather play it like this : modified build
    Yeah. I had the mindset that the low armor would be ok since if she was close enough for anybody to hit her, I was playing her wrong anyway. In retrospect, seeings how my archers are, more often than not, the last units standing, I suppose I should make her less squishy. Thanks for taking the time to comment.Going to make the recommended adjustment and try it out.

(edit)Also, I had put her armor points into wp to make her more mobile.
    Last edited by Kriegsturmer; 04-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.

You need to find a build that you can run against anything. I do various setups of my main build. (Placing units) I often don't look at peoples line-ups when trying a new build in QM. You need to learn to run what you're trying regardless of whatever they have. Mind, I never do this in anything ranked, but it gives a good idea.

At the moment, this is my main build. I just completed my collection of all the possible units and am now playing with different strats (starting with this one) to figure out what is best for me. I generally favor an aggressive style and this seems to fit.

My current R6 build

So, as you can see I've given all of my melee enough break to do something while maimed. The WL stays back for Forge Ahead if necessary, and to protect the archers. The SM also stays back until he can get a first hit on someone before switching into armor breaking mode. The RMs and SS are there to disrupt enemy movement, in addition to break/damage/puncture. The BM stays as well protected as possible and finish people off with BoP puncture. Because of the team's low overall strength, it's more likely to maim its targets than outright kill, which has cost/won me a bunch of games.

Weaknesses are: heavy reliance on puncture, Varl don't really have enough strength to go toe-to-toe with other STR Varl. Everyone has substandard mobility.
    Last edited by Serum; 04-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsturmer View Post
    Yeah. I had the mindset that the low armor would be ok since if she was close enough for anybody to hit her, I was playing her wrong anyway. In retrospect, seeings how my archers are, more often than not, the last units standing, I suppose I should make her less squishy. Thanks for taking the time to comment.Going to make the recommended adjustment and try it out.
    With 4 armor, your BM is just going to get maimed as soon as an enemy BM (or any other archer) comes in range. Keeping away from a 2 exertion archer will require you to stay 10 squares away from her (12 if she's a BM).

A BB will outright kill her, and it's incredibly easy for him to do so given his huge mobility (8 squares with 2 exertion).
    Last edited by Serum; 04-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.

I'd like to play a maker of the game, if I haven't by now. Really curious as to the build(s) they run. Seems like it'd be a battle worth the fighting, Valhalla and such.

I don't have the time right now to use davemo's build planner,

But I run RM-SA-TH-SRM-BM-WM, p 12, all rank 2

RM is 10/11 3 AB, 2 ex, 4 wp
    SA is 9/7, 2 AB, 1 ex, 8 wp
    TH is 10/12 1 AB, 2 ex, 5 wp
    SRM is 13/13, 1 AB, 1 ex, 5 wp
    BM is 8/8, 2 ab, 2 ex, 7 wp
    WM is 9/16, 1 ab, 2 ex, 4 wp

At first glance, I only have 1 melee breaker my RM, and break support from my SA. In truth, my SRM is a breaker as well, doing 3 break from r2 BtR and also disrupting enemy advanced and formation. SA is beefy and does both break and chips at str as well as strengthens position. TH does harass. WM does clean up and threat management. BM cleans up, she can also pull a good break to set up my WM for a solid hit, before repositioning.

Next build/patch will see the ff:
    SA ability nerf
    SB willpower (+1 base stat point) buff
    SB RtF vs enemy when enemy strikes for finishing blow
    PG sorting
    D/C loss avoid exploit fix
    RoA animation fix

Those are the major ones at least.
    Last edited by raven2134; 04-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Here's Raven's build above.

I find the lack of break disturbing, even after you warned about it.
    I'm especially surprised by the low exertion on the archers ; I couldn't live without 2 on my SAs and 3 on my BMs. Maybe that's just me, did not test alternative stats sufficiently. That would certainly help you achieve better break in this build.
    As I assume the RM is mainly for breaking, I'd be tempted to replace him with a BB - he can fill the same role, while being significantly more threatening, therefore messing with the opponent's positioning.

Here's how I would have done it.

Yes, I am still contemplating the archer stats actually. I don't want my BM at 7/8 cos then an SA can run up and wp boost for 100%, the exrta point of armor has also at times made a difference. I'm not convinced myself totally of this though. 3 ex or 1 more wp may prove better - I purposely went 2 ex because I am strategizing to depend on BoP not willpower shots. The 2 ex just gives me break I'm used to using when using an SS.

The SA on the other hand. Sometimes the extra willpower has come in handy, sometimes she has died before expending it all. Not sure again if I want to be pumping more exertion.

You'll be willpower short on the SRM. People love to maim him cos he has 1 break. It's at 5 cos I factor in 1 willpower used to position in a game (even if I restrain myself from positioning like this). And then that leaves 2 rank 2 pushes. At 4 willpower, your left with 1 move and r2 break push, and 1 r1 positioning push.

Same reason for the WM being 4 willpower. Getting the 1/2 str damage on adjacent enemies is a fair difference than the 1/1, and even if I don't go down that path, I can r1 more even after maxing a move.

Went with the RM rather than a BB cos I prefer to stat a BB with low break and depend on RT. RM gives me better synergy with a SB also, because I need to keep a defensive rather than offensive unit out so my Varls take a cover position.

Have not found myself starved for break despite the raw break stats in this build. 2 warrior can still overpower me, but I've been faring reasonably well in terms of damage tempo - even after a breaker goes down.

-This was the same build I was using that Slimsy commented in his stream, being low break (while he was playing around with PK SS).

If I had a theme for this build, it would be "ability efficiency and unit utility".
    Last edited by raven2134; 04-11-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Yeah I regretted the SRM restat almost immediately after doing it, and I'm contemplating switching to the same SM stat as you in my own build.
    And I can see how a BB flying off somewhere would be problematic for the rest of your team...

All in all I guess there was little value in my comments ^^; It's difficult to comment on a build I have never played against or with, while you have put some thought into it. I shall be more cautious in my future commentary !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast