Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Judge-My-Build Thread!

No worries, give it a whirl if you like, and tell me what you think

This is what I've been running recently. On a 13 game win streak with it (though now that I've mentioned as much, I'm sure that'll end). I welcome all thoughts. https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....wxLDEsMl1dXV0=
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

@mindflare: There must be some secret to using that team. I mean, where's the armor break to give those BMs good puncture shots? It looks a little dangerous, but I'm not about to steal it! (I'd assumed that's what you meant when you wrote about the streak, but maybe you were just talking about jinxing it ) The turn order is interesting.

I have no idea how that build could possibly work. Would love to hear more about it.

https://tinyurl.com/cpz4zke Power 12 team i'll be messing around and experimenting with. Not sure what I want at what level yet but that is the basic level of the build i'll be using for now.

It certainly got jinxed. It relies heavily on opening with a Tempest. I can usually kill one unit and cripple another with it, because I've only been in a handful of matches where the enemy isn't huddled together straight across from the WH. Opening with the WH also helps greatly in getting that first hit. I'm toying with putting more break on the BB and/or the Thrasher, just not sure what I should take those points from.

My wins have been anywhere from 5 units still alive to a 1v1... But my losses have always just been massacres.
    Last edited by mindflare77; 04-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Quote Originally Posted by mindflare77 View Post
    It relies heavily on opening with a Tempest.
    You may get away with that now, but no good player would ever fall for that. First thing one would do when seeing your line-up is deploy 2 rows behind the front line.

@Tirean : Interesting build, as expected. I'm a bit puzzled by the stats on the RMs and the SRM though. I feel the RMs are a bit middle-of-the-road with only 1ex for breaks. Then again you can't really stat then for hitting at r1 and 12 arm should make them very good at blocking, so I guess it makes sense actually. For the SRM, I'd expect you'd need a lot more wp ? With the buff that'd be 15/15/3/1/1, but still. I think I'd rather go 14/14/4/1/1 at r2 and put a rank somewhere else.

All stats are subject to be changed in that build above, even 1 archer might be replaced. I feeling with the SRM stats is that I can going to work from full base stats and then work my way downwards to find what feels right. It took me easily 20+ games to find the 14/14 stats which is so popular now on the SRMs and a lot of messing about was done with having them like 14/12 12/14 15/10 etc etc, so for this experiment I decided to work the opposite on how I did before.

My current build

I'm playing with this right now at Power 6, but I'm not sure, how to improve the effectiveness.

@Tirean: Nice starting formation with the 2 RMs and SS - probably also a very effective defensive opening move.

It's relatively defense-oriented by threatening a lot. RM and SM form the frontline, the RM usually stays stonewalled for the first 2-3 cycles, blocking enemy Varl or possibly threatening archers. The SM usually dies relatively soon, but I try to let him break some armor and take archers' attention.
    The SRM stands a bit to the side, hopefully threatening WHs or WMs to rush forward. I use him rather situational, sometimes as a sweeper, sometimes he gets killed or maimed early on.
    Usually I can protect the SS behind the front, so she can throw some armor-break or protect the Varls with RoA. Later, she can do some puncture-damage, but once the SM goes down, she often takes a hit.
    The BBs are on the flanks and usually wait for an opportunity to get to the archers. If the SRM dies early on, they can also sweep up at the end.

When I lost, it was often because the SRM and/or backbiters got maimed or my units got stretched too much.
    Last edited by GreenDread; 04-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Awesome thread! This is the build I've been running recently.

I use the Warmaster as an early-game aggression-discourager, but I never put him in harms way until I can get a clean shot at maiming or killing a valuable unit. He's often the last to fall before the archers.

The Raidmaster comes next, and almost always uses Stonewall on his first turn, sometimes on the second turn; either for blocking a key move or getting closer to the squishy units. His relatively high strength and willpower makes him a surprisingly good archer hunter.

I usually use the Skystriker the way she's meant to be used, for mind-games and board control early, then for raw strength damage late. Often my last unit standing.

The Provoker is my main armor breaker, but can also be used as a decoy or distraction. Malice is rarely used, but can be invaluable for board control in some situations.

The Bowmaster doesn't have a definitive purpose, but is quite versatile for whatever situation she is thrown into.

I usually don't put the Thrasher into harm's way until mid-game. Then I use him largely the same as my Raidmaster until he's maimed, at which point I resort to desperate Bloody Flailing!

This build feels quite balanced, but it has trouble against gimmicky builds, and ones with multiple of the same unit. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 04-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

I'm a relatively new player to TBS: Factions, and after toying around with the unit promotions I think I've finally come up with a rank 6 team I like:
    https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....IsMSwwLDRdXV1d

I'd like a few opinions on it/how to improve it/ etc.

The SM and the twin RMs are for armour break, the TS is my archer hunter, the BM is my late game sweeper, and the WL is a late game sweeper, the archer's protector, and a nice combo with the BM in the late game.

As a long time lurker to the forums, I'm pretty glad to see a build dedicated solely to build discussion. Hopefully it'll be a great place for newer players.

EDIT: Fixed the link to the build calculator
    Last edited by QuatrolL; 04-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuatrolL View Post
    a rank 6 team I like:
    Welcome to the forums
    I'm afraid there's something wrong with your link, it appears as a blank team to me...

https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....IsMSwyXV1dXQ==

My thought behind this build is two-fold. 1. Area control/denial with the RM's and SS with STRs to punt danger away. 2. Turtle cracker... punting two RM's into their back ranks to throw them into chaos while my archers and STRs move in to soften up the shell. If done correctly, one RM could protect the other while he lays waste to the archers.

The order I have it is to get them positioned as quickly as possible and set up a defense for the archers early. My concern is the low firepower. While essentially it would be a break team, I might need to sacrifice some armor for power. Suggestions for better stat placement? Horrible idea altogether?
    Last edited by Kriegsturmer; 04-14-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    I agree if you don't have a plan for the strongarm, using it just as a heavy hitter, some form of warrior would be better- speed is important in a hitter unless you enemy is foolish enough to walk to you. Maybe even a Warleader to provide Forge ahead when he's standing back protecting the archers.

I'll post a build now. This emerged from attempts to feed kills to my backbiter and provoker.
    https://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....wxLDEsMl1dXV0=

Raidmaster starts the charge towards a warvarl or an archer, guarding until he can open a break, archers either lay additional break or early strength damage if the first break target is a war varl. The backbiter sweeps in to maim or kill what was targeted with run through. Provoker and warhawk stick together with the warhawk ready to smack anything that rushes my archers. The provoker grabs any threat the warhawk can't oneshot-maim to keep him safe or gets out of the way after things attacks him deliberately for the tempest.
    Any comments on my posted build?

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsturmer View Post
    With those stats, you sure lack firepower.
    RMs : why would you need 6 wp if you only have 1 ex ? Either go 12/9/4/1/3 (tanky block, usually 3 4-breaks) or 11/8/5/2/3 (less tanky, but more mobile and can do a couple of 5-breaks if not moving too far).
    SRMs : at 12/11 they're going to be useless... The consensus is it 14/14/2/1/1 ; you could try variations, but I would advise against going lower then 13 on either arm or str.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    With those stats, you sure lack firepower.
    RMs : why would you need 6 wp if you only have 1 ex ? Either go 12/9/4/1/3 (tanky block, usually 3 4-breaks) or 11/8/5/2/3 (less tanky, but more mobile and can do a couple of 5-breaks if not moving too far).
    SRMs : at 12/11 they're going to be useless... The consensus is it 14/14/2/1/1 ; you could try variations, but I would advise against going lower then 13 on either arm or str.
    My thought behind the 6 wp was for mobility if needed, which is stupid if they don't have the ex (will fix). I was even contemplating using different stat setups between them. SRMs, no excuse. I just haven't used them a lot. Though only having two uses of his punt is troubling. I think I would feel more comfortable with your suggestions. The firepower would be better but I'd just have to prepare myself for a slower game.

(edit) Just went to adjust my SRM and he actually has a minimum of 3. I can live with that.
    Last edited by Kriegsturmer; 04-14-2013 at 10:05 PM.

oh yeah, forgot to factor in the recent +1. I think 14/14/3/1/1 should work just fine at r1.

Edit : I'm tempted to try out a p12 version of this build...
    Last edited by Butters; 04-14-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    oh yeah, forgot to factor in the recent +1. I think 14/14/3/1/1 should work just fine at r1.

Edit : I'm tempted to try out a p12 version of this build...
    I just had my first go with a watered down version (as I get the correct units) and it worked beautifully. Punted my stonewalled RM through their SA and they were so obsessed with killing him, the rest of my units just walked up on him and destroyed him. Granted, a more experienced player wouldn't have wasted a round using every unit to flail at a virtually impervious RM. :P It got me enough reknown to upgrade my raider to a second RM though. Now to work on leveling my SB. Plus, it was really really fun. Btw, got the underdog bonus X 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsturmer View Post
    Though only having two uses of his punt is troubling.
    When I was building my first SRM, I went crazy with 15/14/2/0/X. Over few battles I got to use the punt only three times (where it mattered, I used it more just for fun) so don't worry about it. Make sure to take advantage of his stats - he is both a serious threat (oneshotting archers, hurting warriors beyond recovery) and a serious obstacle. Also - make sure to give him at least one exertion, else he will simply be ignored and kited to death later.

I've been playing for a few weeks now and I have been trying to make strategies with one ideal: having no double caracters, as I feel it breaks the possibilities and diversity of the game.
    Here's My team

I used to have a heavy hitter Varl replacing the strong arm to make a combo with the Warleader, but it was a bit cheesy, limited and also the warleader could hit, rather than giving one more turn.

I find this team quite strategic, as I can move enemies, lay traps and reorganise my team with the warleader. The bad part is that I don't get much advantage of starting first.

Here are a few elements:
    -Strongarm: Armor breaker. In front and pushing back enemies rushing, can always push the Warleader for a super hit.
    -Warleader: Heavy hitter. Staying back and treatening, rearanging the turn order usually.
    -Backbiter: Usually doesn't even kill anybody. Here to threaten archers, but not so efficient at damaging / breaking.
    -Raidmaster: Does what the raidmaster does, blocking ways, in hard hitter mode.
    -Archers: laying traps and hitting from affar.

I do not have a defined Armor breakers/Damagers role for the non-Varl units, maybe it's a flaw.

Any hints?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast