Thread: Unit/Play Combinations and Tactics

Unit/Play Combinations and Tactics

Hi everyone! New tactics ONLY discussion section, sorted out by Sean or CM .

To that end, what are you're favorite unit and play combinations? How do you pull them off and in what situations are they effective?

One my favorites at the moment is SRM, SA, Battering Ram and Slag and Burn. It's easy to setup and works wonders when enemies don't clump together but still stay in close proximity. The combo ends up doing both break and str damage, which is really nice, plus you get a lot of zone control from the position change and trap in effect

Well, I could make a quick list of those I'm aware of.

Raidmaster + Strongarm= backbiter with armor.
    Siege Archer + Strongarm= what the OP mentioned.
    Provoker (2+) + Skystriker (2+)- Steal the enemies turn while harming them and preventing the Provoker from getting Strength damage.
    Skystriker + Strongarm= more painful than provoker+ Skystriker but doesn't steal their turn (in other words, shoot to kill, not to stun.
    Bowmaster (or any archer) + Strongarm= whether you push the archer or it's puncture victim- you get puncture damage the opponent didn't expect.
    High Str warrior + Strongarm= Flying alpha strike- be careful your targets don't have too much armor or you'll lose your Varl too quickly.
    Warleader + anyone- Double whatever your best move was or let them run back to safety (it's the warleader's job description)

The really basic, fundamental combos are always:

-Hit armor, then hit health for a high amount

Or:

-Use mobility to get near a key unit, hit health for high amount.

Most multi unit combos do 1 of those 2 things.

Additional fundamental tactics seem to be:
    -Using tempo/timing for key attacks
    -Blocking or restricting the enemy's mobility/options
    -Making the enemy waste turns or resources
    -Focus your fire (up to a given point)

One I've had success with is a rank 2+ provoker and a SS, RoA and then bring them onto it with the malice, but it is really a take advantage of the situation if it arises thing rather than something you plan on happening.

Very rare and hard to execute but at the same time wicked map and two unit combo:
    On the fire pit (Great Hall?) map position a Strongarm on one side of the pit, with a Provoker in front. Provoke a unit over the pit (minimum rank 2) to have it land in the fire, next turn push it (minimum rank 1) all along the corridor of doom. Does 7hp to a Varl + break from bring the pain + break from push + 2hp upon the Varls next turn :]

Using a Provoker and a Warleader, you are able to taunt two different enemies at once, and BOTH their turns will be skipped. Just tested this.

Quote Originally Posted by neurogasm View Post
    Using a Provoker and a Warleader, you are able to taunt two different enemies at once, and BOTH their turns will be skipped. Just tested this.
    Wow. I can see the possibility of pulling an enemy unit out of position using that combo. Or pulling into a death trap.

The cheesiest (and surprisingly effective) strategies I've come against are:

-2 raidmasters stonewalling in the middle of my army to restrict movement and prevent them from getting to my archers, while their archers chip away at range
    -leaving and resting a warrior (OR warleader) until its endgame and then coming out with it
    -multiple siege archers (pretty much everyone uses them since their buff lol now you can minmax better)

A few units are good at beating specific formations

Backbiter > Archer turtle
    Skystriker > Warrior rush
    Warhawk/warmaster > Turtle
    Shieldmaster > Thrasher (the one real unit-unit counter imo)

Quote Originally Posted by rodereve View Post
    -multiple siege archers (pretty much everyone uses them since their buff lol now you can minmax better)
    Wait, what ?
    SA have not been buffed, since release I think. They've been nerfed twice recently. If anything, they're fast disappearing from the meta.

Also, I fail to see how raidmasters doing their job (not doing any form of damage in the process) or warriors skipping their turn is "cheesy"...

I think the buff he's talking about is the inclusion of R2 & R3 SAs, where they were extremely powerful before the latest build.

RM's seem to create a passive aggressive playstyle. Move forward and save themselves from a first turn attack. Guarantee 2 cycles worth of breaking. And go for the clean up after. Would seem like a candidate for a standard strat.

Fighting this is about the same as combatting other break builds tho, and it boils down to preventing them from spreading the break across the team, or getting rid of a breaker before it maximizes that break potential, as well as going for the clean up units.

Greetings,

About that provoker + sky striker combo, is there any "effective" way to counter it? Every 2 games I meet someone using this combo, and partially I'm tired and disappointed about the creativity of this players.
    Last edited by oldFox-64; 05-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldFox-64 View Post
    About that provoker + sky striker combo, is there any "effective" way to counter it?
    I'm also interested in a "how-to" for this combo. Perhaps Slimsy who heavily runs this combo has identified the best counter to it.

I'd say the only safe way is to kill/maim the SS asap. Another approach includes engaging/blocking the PK asap, so that he can't find any valid targets in his Malice-range. A third approach is killing the PK, but that normally requires 1-2 rounds of heavy fire.

Killing the Provoker will break their Malice. Using a Provoker or a Skystriker to prevent the Malice in the first place also works as would Strongarming the Provoker away from the trap. If the provoked target is a Varl, you can move units onto both sides of the trap or in front and side of your Varl to block the varl walking onto it.

Even if you can't stop the tactic from happening, you can try to exploit that your opponent's attention is on making it work (Slimsy has lost quite a few fights where he's pulled it off repeatedly). The opponent spends 5 willpower and 2 turns to deal 6 damage- if that doesn't kill your unit and he's a breaker he's arguably wasted his time, while his' skystriker is likely close enough to maim "since you KNOW where her trap is"

In any combo, the way to defeat it is to recognize it when you see the enemy's lineup and position your units where it can't be done or having him doing it will actually speed his loss (like getting a maimed varl early)

punting any of the involved units out of range should do the trick ; there are a few cases where you can block movement efficiently (most cases, there won't).
    I think the best defense against this is to let it happen. A least control what unit it is going to happen to. This combo is very intensive for the one pulling it, and in many cases it's not worth the turns and the WP. keep your low-str shieldbangers and broken raiders away from the provoker and you should be fine. It will happen once at the some point, pretty much guaranteed ; make sure to force him to do it on a less than optimal target. That RoA landing does not necessarily mean that he is coming out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    In any combo, the way to defeat it is to recognize it when you see the enemy's lineup...
    Hey Kletian. Considering the success of your "Know your units" series, I think a next thread-series you could start-up is cataloging some of the most standard easy-to-do combos. You could outline the optimal configurations & preparations for them, along with counters. Rensei's tool would be really useful here! This kind of thread would help both new players identify them and provide deeper insights and inspiration for experienced players to come up with more elaborate ones. Just a rough list of the ones that hop in mind:

• Armor-Break + Puncture (the mother-of-combos!)
    • Battering-Ram + Stone-Wall (or other ally at ARM-cost)
    • Fire-Pit (or Slag&Burn) + Battering-Ram
    • Malice + Rain-of-Arrows
    • Heavy-Hitter (or any ally) + Forge-Ahead ("act again")
    • Forge-Ahead @ Pillage ("extra turn")
    • Rain-of-Arrows + "bait" (or vice-versa, but that would be too obvious)

An interesting thought, but I think that counter combo knowledge would be better packed in here. I tend to discuss combos in the threads of each unit anyway.

The RoA does 6 strength damage on unbroken unit. Walk Your Sheldbanger type into it, with some luck his lowered hp will bait the enemy into spending break on him/taking risky shots.

Ignore it completely and focus Your five units on other targets, while the enemy 2-3 (he needs to block other paths) units are locked for the combo.

Position Your archers in anticipation, break the Provoker and kill him with puncture (killing the SS is out of the question - weaker effect, harder to pull off and exposes the involved units).

Forge someone ahead/sacrifice a unit - the queue change can make the SS go before the target. For the same reason You can be more brave with Your breakers - the enemy will hesitate to kill them, not to mess up the combo.

And the mother of them all - provoke the enemy provoker into his RoA, break armor (requires turn advantage on his side).

Thank you guys, good advises. Will try to apply them next time.