Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A Treatise on the Tactics of Timing and Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by Yth View Post
    There are even some tactics which can be used to attack the enemy's turn timer. Things which bring uncertainty into the game, such as taking an extremely long time to make an obvious move, or moving extremely quickly to a confusing or sub-optimal spot can mess with your opponent's mind and make him wonder what you are up to. If you want to get into shady territory you can send your opponent chats which are designed to interrupt his flow of thought or waste his time while he replies.
    You seem to be employing "dark-side" strategies I rarely do these things intentionally, except perhaps for baiting 33%-50% RoAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yth View Post
    My understanding was that there will be little to no penalty for letting your units die during the tactical combat portion of the single player game.
    I think -- raven2134 correct me here -- that letting a character die in combat leaves him "injured" for a certain time period. You cannot use him in another combat until he recovers, or you risk fielding him with less-than-optimal stats (e.g. lower STR and/or ARM?).

Quote Originally Posted by LoliSauce View Post
    It makes me wonder just how many high level players in TBS have had prior experience in competitive gaming to give them a head start in grasping the fundamentals.
    I belong to neither of those two group (high-level TSBF players or players with prior experience in competitive gaming)

Quote Originally Posted by LoliSauce View Post
    I only wish I could stream this game without slowdown. I'm used to talking to people while I play, so I'm always full of lively in-game banter that refers to things via fighting game terminology. It's probably pretty entertaining.
    Please stream! Nobody stream nowadays Well, I do, but it's mostly for recording purposes. Besides who wants to listen to me? I rarely do voice-over, and when I do its probably dull and boring

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    You seem to be employing "dark-side" strategies
    There is a whole element to competetive gaming which is deeply psychological or very "dark sideish". My favorite example of this is the Bobby Fischer vs Boris Spassky 1972 chess world championship, where Bobby Fischer eventually dominated his opponent by using a combination of really weird antics out of game (even forfeiting one of his games by not showing up!) to completely psychologically unnerve his opponent. [For those interested: LINK].

Another entertaining and interesting read on this subject can be found in "Playing to be Evil", which focuses strongly on psychological aspects which can give you an edge while playing the game League of Legends. [LINK].

Even Sun Tzu got in on the action, with a whole chapter related to psychological warfare. [Find your own LINK].

Edit: Err, not that I actually advocate doing these things, mind you...

I guess Fischer was indeed the Grandmaster of this form of warfare!

Edit: Err, not that I actually advocate doing these things, mind you...
    On an entirely different topic -- How/where does honor and valor come in this game? I am referring to both the Saga (story-wise), as well as the Factions (community/PvP-wise) Hmmm, perhaps this deserves a dedicated thread...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2