Results 1 to 14 of 14

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Stoic Logo

  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Stoic Team Stoic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    57

    Stoic Logo

    Click to Zoom In



  2. #2
    Senior Member Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    265
    Hi there, i was wondering how u guys came out with the name Stoic? does it means something in particular? Btw the Logo looks quite Nice, love the black-red contrast.!

    PS: just a curious fanboy here wanting to know a bitt more heheh ^^)

  3. #3
    Superbacker piotras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    188
    not sure if it has anything to do with it, but check out this video (10 sec)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by piotras View Post
    not sure if it has anything to do with it, but check out this video (10 sec)
    yea i know, noticed it the first time when i saw the video aswell, it was actually that exactly, what led me to ask the question....

    For me at least, that, in stead of answering the mistery, expands it even more :P

  5. #5
    as a professional designer I feel compelled to chime in here regarding the logo. sorry for being so critical, its just my nature. I'll try to keep this constructive.

    the viking ship on the wave is a good logo concept, but the art execution could use some more refinement. logos need to be simple visually, and by that i mean removing any fine details that don't scale very well from large to small sizes. it's true that at large scale we can clearly see the nice line work on the ship's planks and and other features, and the wave lines too. but most of that fine line drawing won't work when the logo is small scale. simplifying the art would be a good step, but its not a huge deal.

    I like the logo and the type design, just some minor issues could be tweaked to clean it up a little bit.

  6. #6
    Superbacker StandSure's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    as a professional designer I feel compelled to chime in here regarding the logo. sorry for being so critical, its just my nature. I'll try to keep this constructive.
    masterblaster, as a designer myself, I was interested to see your comments. I totally agree with your thoughts regarding good logo design, and try to work that way myself, especially for largely print-based logos. However, in the case of Stoic's logo, don't you think that the fine lines are really only imbellishments, and that nothing crucial is lost if they disappear when the image is scaled down? Because of the logo's frequent use in video form, usually at full frame, and often animated (love that effect), I like that the graphic adds some finer details. It's important to think about how this image is going to be used, and most often I have seen it in large format. I would agree that ideally there should be a more simplified version for use in print and smaller scale.

    I've helped a number of kickstarter backers on the forums with personal "crests" for later-use in game as part of a reward level, and there is an area where scaling has to be heavily accounted for. I have struggled (enjoyably!) with balancing the need for simplicity, the elements the owner is trying to portray, as well as a desire to create a unique icon that will be displayed proudly. Some are more successful that others in these aims, but I think I've been mostly successful!

    Interesting to have a little design discussion!

  7. #7
    if it was my design, i would take the logo in one of two directions. either continue to simplify the design by removing some of the fine line work, or go the opposite direction and exaggerate the fine line work so it is more obvious. at the moment it looks more like an illustration (granted a very good illustration) and less like a true logo.

    as for the issue of the fine lines disappearing anyway at small scale, thats exactly my point. that issue makes the application of the logo visually inconsistent. most of my comments are based on comparing the very large graphic of the logo in the OP with the much smaller red and white graphic right next to it that serves as the Stoic Team 'photo'.

    that brings up a couple of other comparisons...

    the mast of the ship kind of clutters the ship and sail portion of the logo when its scaled down, and I wonder if it's even a necessary design feature in the large scale version. i think it's a safe bet that people will mentally 'see' the mast regardless if its actually part of the design or not.

    the curled tips of the front and rear of the ship become solid knobs when scaled down in size. i would either simplify this feature, or make the line work of the curls slightly more exaggerated or obvious.

    anyway, like i said these are minor issues overall. but for logo design the devil really is in the details, or lack of details to be more precise, lol. if you look at the most iconic and memorable logos of the past 100 years, you'll notice that the vast majority of them have one thing in common....extreme visual simplicity.

  8. #8
    Superbacker StandSure's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    the mast of the ship kind of clutters the ship and sail portion of the logo when its scaled down, and I wonder if it's even a necessary design feature in the large scale version. i think it's a safe bet that people will mentally 'see' the mast regardless if its actually part of the design or not.
    I like this thought, and agree that showing the mast itself is superfluous from a logo standpoint.

    What I keep thinking of is the elaborate and detailed animations that you see on films today for the production companies. Many of these are based on or partnered with a corresponding simple logo. Because of the medium being used, a strict logo would seem to miss an opportunity, but admittedly the elements of the animation are too ornate for an effective logo. Similarly, here, I would agree that the illustration is descriptive and good (and might look odd if elements like a mast were omitted), but if critiqued simply as a logo, there is room for simplification and improvement.

    I think we can agree that ideally there would be 2 branding elements: a detailed illustration for use in video, and a simplified logo for general use.

  9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Art Director Arnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    319
    Great discussion. I shall simply lurk rather than address the glaring problems with our logo.

    I will, however, answer the question about the name Stoic. We wanted a simple single word name and one day in the car Alex said "Hey, how about Stoic?" I said "...yeah, yeah man. Simple. Sounds cool." Then I went off and designed a fail logo.
    It did not have anything to do with the beer. We found that beer after the fact and thought it fit the situation rather well.

  10. #10
    I must agree with masterblaster. While I'm sure the logo's details would look perfectly fine when printed as a vector at any size, we have only to look at Arnie's rasterized avatar to see that the reduced pixel count squishes most of the details into not having any white pixels at all.

    The moral of the story is, of course, that everyone should start using SVGs for everything.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Then I went off and designed a fail logo.
    not really. its a good concept and good form. the art is well executed. just some very minor issues. and like StandSure is saying, it's actually very common for most businesses to have variations of logos for use in different contexts. there's nothing wrong with keeping an embellished and more elaborate design for large scale applications, a more simplified 'logo' for small scale stuff, and even an animated loop for interactive media.

    i can easily imagine an animated version with audio. the sound of water and creaking wood planks, then a gust of wind and the snap of the sail as the boat glides up the crest of a wave, then the letters for STOIC 'fade in' one by one underneath the boat.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Great discussion. I shall simply lurk rather than address the glaring problems with our logo.

    I will, however, answer the question about the name Stoic. We wanted a simple single word name and one day in the car Alex said "Hey, how about Stoic?" I said "...yeah, yeah man. Simple. Sounds cool." Then I went off and designed a fail logo.
    It did not have anything to do with the beer. We found that beer after the fact and thought it fit the situation rather well.
    Ty for the answer about the name Arnie, i in particular like both the logo and the name quite a lot, all that critisism about the logo beeing wrong with this and that, that people have been commenting here, is just deft in my ears :P

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Ty for the answer about the name Arnie, i in particular like both the logo and the name quite a lot, all that critisism about the logo beeing wrong with this and that, that people have been commenting here, is just deft in my ears :P
    nobody said the logo is wrong. just offering some constructive criticism. I'm a professional designer and a college instructor. I've been teaching design for more than a few years. I feel quite confident regarding all the comments I've made in this thread.

    It's fine that you like the logo as is, but choosing to disregard constructive criticism as though it's a personal issue is a rather misguided understanding of professional design practice.

    I've stated more than once that I also like the Stoic illustration, but it does not meet the parameters of a logo, and that's the reason I've commented in this thread.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    nobody said the logo is wrong. just offering some constructive criticism. I'm a professional designer and a college instructor. I've been teaching design for more than a few years. I feel quite confident regarding all the comments I've made in this thread.

    It's fine that you like the logo as is, but choosing to disregard constructive criticism as though it's a personal issue is a rather misguided understanding of professional design practice.

    I've stated more than once that I also like the Stoic illustration, but it does not meet the parameters of a logo, and that's the reason I've commented in this thread.
    i have not said that u were wrong or that ur critisism was negative? have i?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •