Thread: Somewhat impractical graphical ideas

Somewhat impractical graphical ideas

I've had these thoughts sitting in my head for a while; while I know the work to do them would far outweigh the benefits to the single player campaign, I just have to share them anyway.

1. Showing damage. Imagine laying a 2 digit puncture shot on your enemy's Warhawk, bringing him to nigh useless STR levels. Now imagine a good half of that warhawks sword shatters leaving a jagged hilt in his hand to reflect his gimped status. In general the idea is when Armor or Strength is reduced to 40% of normal, their weapon or armor shows it. Now I know that basically doubles the art budget, but I had to throw that out there.

2. Professional Poker style UIs. This isn't for the game as much as a Hypothetical spectator mode. Basically, it'd display various statistics at the start of the match. then different ones on each turn to facilitate commentary.

At the beginning, there might be a listing of Total Str and armor for each team, total break stat, and total willpower. Then as the game progresses it can show highest damage potential move, tally up will "wasted" from letting your units die or having them cause overkill, and well as update how STR, Arm, and Break potential compare. Maybe also show number of traps/coals stepped on or Return the favor damage under "Self inflicted pain". Once again, I know completely worthless to single player, but a very e-sportsy feature if it could ever be done.

Those are indeed awesome ideas.

Your first idea is interesting, but seems rather difficult to implement with the "double art budget", as you say

The second would be really cool too; streams with a neutral commentator: "On the red corner we have..." But I guess it will take a lot of in-depth analyzing and statistic-alizing because of the multitude of moves and possibilities. Nevertheless, you idea about keeping track of current & starting team STR/ARM/WP is easy, and a good measure of "who's winning", even for the game just as it is now.

Actually, I was just thinking they could measure the raw power of moves (not necessary the best move positioning or strategic wise) just like it does damage estimates when you move your walk cursor near units. Nothing that couldn't be captured with the engine as it is or a third party UI mod should the game ever support those.