Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The one tip you wish someone had told you when you started out

The one tip you wish someone had told you when you started out

For me: don't spend your Renown until you're sure you know what you want to spend it on.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Seems like good advice. That being said renown comes pretty quickly again I've found. I upgraded my SA two days ago then WISH I went went with upgrading a PK instead, but I'll get enough soon enough.

So what would your one tip be?

That's sort of the idea of this thread, for people to share their most valuable bits of advice.

Also, it occurs to me that it might have been better to start this in the New Player section. Hindsight, etc., etc.

My tip: Toggle your banners on (TAB during battle).

Someone did tell me that when I started out! And several other useful things besides, I'm sure (it was long ago).

I agree with your tip, though I'd only argue for caution with respect to promoting units to ranks 2 and 3. Along the lines of your tip, I'd say: Experiment with units instead of grinding the first six all the way up. Contrary to the intuition some folks arrive with, there is no "end game" where we play with maxed out teams.

The most useful tip I had come up with is "Count". You should... no, you MUST count everything during the battle, the most obvious is counting enemy move ranges while taking turns. The second most obvious thing is to count damage values when dealing armor break from one unit and thinking of dealing a strength hit the next turn. Thing I learned from Slimsy's streams is to take combined arm+str number into account every time you take a turn.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Making netnazgul's tip more abstract, I'd say "try to plan ahead". At the very least, when you've just finished your turn and the opponent is playing, you should have already started putting thought onto your next unit's move!

Another battle-tip would be: "avoid dying w plenty of willpower". Well, as netnazgul said (as Slimsy said), the sum of ARM+STR+WP is the "effective power" of your units. Strength is straight; when it goes to zero you die. Dying w a lot of ARM on is bad-luck, but can happen. But, dying w a lot WP on is a big waste...

And, finally, a general tip for new-players is "play Ranked, not Quick". That's because Ranked matches are typically against opponents close to your experience-level (i.e. Elo-ranking), not just your team-power. On the contrary, Quick matches, even at low-powers, could match you against battle-worn players that are just farming for renown or trying new crazy (and devastating!) ideas.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-21-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Not advice I received stricto sensu, but something that helped tremendously once I understood it :
    Check the effect on turn order before killing a unit
    Killing an enemy unit can put you in a terrible position. Picture what would happen in the initiative queue before going for the kill, and change target if it happens to be the case.

More generally, always pay close attention to the initiative queue !

Not really a major thing, but towards the end of the game don't forget to factor in willpower from the horn when calculating enemy movement ranges. Otherwise you may end up feeling a little silly when you offer up your unit to an opponent like some sort of sacrifice to the god of impressive beards.
    Crest by StandSure, many thanks!

I agree with Butters. I lost so many battles in the first hours of game I was litterally pillaging averything in sight and let my opponent's last 3 fresh unit against my 5/6 full-maimed guys, resulting in an obvious wrecking a few moves later. Now I always try to mitigate the damage that a unit can do to mine and focus on killing only units that have already took their turn, so it's more unlikely that they have to act multiple times before my initiative cicle starts again.

1. Don't rush into their range without being able to damage back. This goes for turtlers that expect you to run into coals, ice arrows, or into their warriors range lol Almost always better to slowly advance and take potshots with archers

2. Don't always kill units, maiming is a lot of the times more beneficial to you. Bad candidates for maiming are highwpAB,thrashers,ss.

3. Use expert mode. Farming was really a pain until I discovered there was a button in MP that gave you +2 renown each game, never even heard about it till a friend told me. Might as well get used to it early

Anyone who reads anything on these boards will quickly learn about the importance of initiative and wounding. To me the thing that I wish I'd learned faster is the level 0 passive abilities. Since you're going to be spending a lot of time at first with these units, you really need to learn to take those abilities into account when planning your moves - especially puncture.

When the MM shows you your opponent look at what he has and adjust your positioning if you see two shield bangers for instance you don't have to worry about splash.

Also, memorize the number of squares between deployment zones on each map !
    Else you're going to have unpleasant surprises against rushers on the Wall, for example...

Understand your initial team order.

It's amazing the difference it makes, say, putting your Warhawk last and Shieldbanger first rather than the other way around...

Something I didn't realize at first is the order you see the opponents in the very beginning is the order that they fight in. This is very important for my decision to stack the front or hang back a few rows.

One tip. This tip can save your renown and units. Don't DISMISS your units. Never dismiss them. NEVER. NEVAR. NEVAH!

Now, I may still be a noob since I only played 3 games so far.

But I learned this valuable lesson: "never, ever chat during your own turn"

My advice would be - don't waste willpower - ever (including moving)! If you the opponent dies in two hits whether you use WP or not, there's often little point spending the extra WP to do more damage. They'll still be alive take another turn to kill. Sometimes 1 wp to use an ability or close a gap is the difference between winning and losing.

This ties in with not dying with lots of willpower too, as mentioned above by Aleonymous.

It might seem trivial, but you won't imagine how many new players make it to power-6 without knowing this:

Promoted units can be re-statted ANYTIME, for FREE, at the Proving-Grounds.

You can re-allocate upon to 10+Rank points, within given min/max limits, specific for each class. Common misconceptions include: (1) Re-statting can only be done upon promotion or (2) You can only add the one point given per promotion to one stat.

Edit -- I remembered another small "tip":

For all five battle maps presently included in Factions, the team who deploys on top (i.e. NW or NE) gets to act first. Take than into consideration, along with the enemy's first-to-act unit...
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-22-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Adding to this slightly - promoted units should always be re-statted after promotion. Otherwise they'll have one point sitting around un-assigned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast