Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Vigrid Tournament, 1st Edition - p6 and p12 ONGOING!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vigrid Tournament, 1st Edition - p6 and p12 ONGOING!

To all of the proud Vikings of Strand,

Are you brave enough to face the most honored of your fellows in battle, and prove by axe and bow who the most powerful faction of Strand is ? If so, write down your name and brace yourselves, for the fight will be fierce, and can only have two outcomes : Glory or Valhalla !

- anonymous announcement to be found pinned to the doors of the Great Hall

Time to start the first fan-held TBS : Factions tourmnament !
    This is the Vigrid Tournament, where the brave come to prove their worth. The winner will bask in glory and the satisfaction of knowing they bested their opponents without any tricks, artifices, or luck involved !

Tournament is now in progress ! See the post below for brackets, match announcements, etc.
    Initial seeding has been done live on Twitch and can be viewed here (noticed afterwards that my mic is picking up the horrible fan noise of my laptop, sorry about that...)

There will be two parallel tournaments at power levels 6 and 12.
    Players list
    Power 12 - 16 players
    Tirean, franknarf, Bloodaddict, netnazgul, Bertez, Kletian999, Evil Laughter (aka dabhand), hreinnbeno, Butters, 6u5, HappyRacoon, Echlir, ojustme, raven2134 (aka strange_carrots), Slimsy Platypus (aka Bold Brendan), Kuba
    Power 6 - 8 players
    Aleonymous, Mindflare77, Butters, Evil Laughter ( aka dabhand), Rensei, InfiniteNutshell, raven2134 (aka strange_carrots), rodereve

Tournament format :
    See brackets in the post below.

Matchmaking rules :
    When matches are announced in the tournament thread, it is up to the players to take contact with their opponent and arrange for a match. The details of the how the match is undertaken is at their discretion (as long as there is prior agreement between the players, anything goes - best of 3, sudden death, ranked or friendly, etc ; with the exception of the championship match. If an opponent is a no-show for 1 full week, they will be considered forfeited (if you really can't participate, please try and forfeit willingly before that !). Results are to be reported ASAP in the tournament thread.
    For the championship match, the winner of the loser's bracket will not have a disadvantage. It will be best of 3. It would be nice if one or both of the players would stream it. When playing best of 3, changes in build are allowed between matches.
    Recommendations :
    - detailed match reports are encouraged !
    - streaming of matches (esp. high-profile ones) is strongly encouraged ! (for those worried that your opponent will watch your stream to see your RoAs and whatnot, you can always capture a video and put it up later).

Notes :
    - Nothing is set in stone yet, if you have requests about the tournament format or rules please do speak up.
    - This post and the couple below will be updated as the inscriptions and the actual tournament progress.
    - No particular contingencies against fraud are prepared. I am counting on everyone's honorable behavior (there's no reason for it to be otherwise).

May the strongest and most cunning win ! They shall bathe in mead, and drink from the skulls of their opponents !
    Last edited by Butters; 04-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Here are the official tournament brackets, as seeded here !
    See below for match announcements !

Brackets

Note : brackets posted here may be out of date. Follow the link to the online table for the latest state. (I wish I could embed...)

p12 tournament bracket (in dynamic form here)

p6 tournament bracket (in dynamic form here)

Matches

The following matches are up to play :

P12
    Losers Finals : Butters vs strange_carrots

After that, Grand Finals : Tirean vs ?

P6
    Grand Finals : Butters vs Mindflare77

Time to contact your opponents and set up matches !
    Don't forget to stream matches whenever possible, and report results in this thread after the matches !

gl hf all !
    Last edited by Butters; 06-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.

I'll confirm for r6 as well

I don't know why steam unlinked itself from my forum account I will see about fixing that

I'm about 75Renown short of growing a newbie's p12 team. So, by the time the tourney sets up, perhaps I could compete in p12 too, if there's places still open. At my maxed-play-rate, its like ~20R/weekday and ~100/weekend.

Updated
    Still plenty of spots to fill !

Fear, for the mighty Tirean wrote his name on the wall ! Then face your fear, and prove your worth against the best ! Immense glory for those who were to beat him !

I'm up for the Challenger Cup (6). Could easily field a team for Pro Cup, but lack the experience and wouldn't feel comfortable.

Also: Europe here, free to play around 19-22 CEST.

If it helps with the player numbers, I'd be fine playing in either p6 or p12 (not both, though).

Now I'll need to try to build a team that's not terrible again! I've been playing only QM since p12 tourneys started.

If qm has taught me anything it's that i'm terrible at team building, but i'll give the p12 a go if there are spots open still.

I'd like to sign up for the p12 tourney.

I just earned the renown needed to acquire a full p12 squad. But, being really inexperienced at this level (apart from generally incompetent )... Please, step-up to fill "my" p12 place!

PS#1 - I +1 Slimsy's idea about submitting fixed builds. That way we can also "prepare" before the actual match. Perhaps only allow initiative-order changes?
    PS#2 - The draw on TV would be fun! Just like Champions League.

I'll join the power 12 cup, on a side note I googled Vigrid to see what it meant and am a little disheartened, why do nazis have to ruin everything?

New players added !
    There are still 3 to 4 spots open on the p12 ledger (depending on Aleonymous' participation), so speak up !
    Last edited by Butters; 04-23-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    There are still 3 to 4 spots open on the p12 ledger (depending on Aleonymous' participation), so speak up !
    I think I will make it to p12 by the tournament start, but I'll have barely time to practice with it. So, please keep me on "low-priority" for p12 (with an asterisk or something), meaning that I could compete only if there's an awkwardly-empty space left and you guys need one more to fill in the groups. p6 is my natural habitat

Oh damn I had no idea some norwegian neo-nazis used the name Vigrid :/ the wikipedia article you're looking for is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigrid, not that other one as I'm sure you understand.
    TL;DR : Vigrid is the name of the battlefield where the battle of Ragnarok took place. The word itself means "battle-surge".
    Last edited by Butters; 04-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.

No, I was pretty sure you weren't aware. Nazi's stole the Swastika and these a-holes are just continuing the tradition. I like to think we're taking the word back a little.

Waht's the difference between "best of three" and "double-elimination"? Anyway, i'm in for p12.

Best of three means that you will play a given opponent three games to decide who goes on. First to two wins moves on in the bracket. Double elimination means that you can lose in the bracket twice before you're out of the tournament.

At least, that's how I understand it.

EDIT: Fixing a typo from typing on my phone.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

"Best of three" is one way to determine the winner in a particular match-up. Others are "best of five", "higher sum of remaining stats after three games", "first player to get hit by coals or slag loses!"

Double-elimination means that if you lose two match-ups, after that you are done with the tourney (I think). This could be inferred by how the diagram at the top works.

EDIT: wow, I'm slow. That's what I get for opening an array of tabs at once.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast