Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Vigrid Tournament, 1st Edition - p6 and p12 ONGOING!

Vigrid | Power-6 | Match "J" | Aleonymous 1 - 2 rodereve | rodereve progresses!

I won the 1st match marginally, rodereve easily took the 2nd one; I put up some resistance on the 3rd match, but to no avail! All matches were fought at the Wall, with a 60sec timer.

You can check out the recorded streams here: Match #1 | Match #2 | Match #3 . Unfortunately, the stream quality is quite poor because I was at x3 downscaling due to my 0.5Mbps upload.

EDIT: Can an "expert" look into Match#3 @19m20s, and tell me if I had any chances of turning it? I'm so hopeless at calculating endgames...
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-08-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Can an "expert" look into Match#3 @19m20s, and tell me if I had any chances of turning it? I'm so hopeless at calculating endgames...
    damn that was close, I just rewatched #1 and #3. I think you could've won #3 if you used that last WP to puncture my raider for 100%, then you'd have pillage and you can just armorbreak from distance while blocking pathing with your raider.

Quote Originally Posted by rodereve View Post
    damn that was close, I just rewatched #1 and #3. I think you could've won #3 if you used that last WP to puncture my raider for 100%, then you'd have pillage and you can just armorbreak from distance while blocking pathing with your raider.
    I don't think he could have. With the BM getting as far as possible to shoot the raider, the SRM would still be able to get to her with 1 wp from the horn.
    Maybe the BM could use the horn wp to move further instead of BoP, but then it's a 40%? shot to kill the raider. Even if that connects, it's still a toss-up..

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Match #1 | Match #2 | Match #3

Can an "expert" look into Match#3 @19m20s, and tell me if I had any chances of turning it? I'm so hopeless at calculating endgames...
    Not so sure about the endgame (I'm no 'expert' lol), but from about 13 minutes you definitely could have won it :P

Also, I think you devoted too many resources to taking out the raider in #1 and #2 while he was stonewalled! Almost all your opening moves were about getting through his ability... so much WP!

[edit: ahh rodereve! I knew I recognised your name - great match earlier ]
    Last edited by loveboof; 05-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Butters beat me, 2-1. My stream cut out midway through the second game (my win), and started again near its end. So there's two vids; the first is game 1 and the first half of game 2, the second is the last few moves of game 2 and all of game 3. As such, I would strongly recommend watching Butters' streams if/when he puts them up.

Very good games; I'm content to have gone the distance, to be honest. I'm certainly open to feedback; I feel as though I may have been able to pull a win out of the last game, not so sure about the first.
    Last edited by mindflare77; 05-08-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Adding details.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Just played the finals of the p6 winners' bracket against Mindflare77 !
    The replay is here from me (no commentary) and here and there from Mindflare.

These were actually quite close, contrarily to Mindflare's expectations apparently.
    I think I played quite poorly today and barely deserved to win... I did however, 2-1. Onwards to the Grand Final ! My asian bookie money is on Carrots for the losers bracket win and Grand Final opponent. Maybe he can get revenge for our previous matches I'd be interested to play any of the others too though, don't think I had the pleasure except maybe for rodereve.

I just finished my p6 match with rodereve. Unfortunately, neither of us streamed it, so I'll do my best to recount the highlights.

I was playing my usual RM/SM/BB/SA/BM/WH build against rodereve's RM/SM/BM/TH/BM/SRM. Game 1 was on the Wall by his request. I threw off my own game right from move 1 by accidentally sending my Raidmaster forward all the way to the enemy line, instead of 3 squares forward which is my usual opening. This wasn't the end of the world but it did leave him a bit stranded, since the enemy Raidmaster also moved forward, preventing my Shieldmaster from catching up and establishing a defensive line.

The most fun part of game 1 was when rodereve used his Strongarm to punt his Raidmaster to the back of my formation, threatening my archers. In response, my Backbiter charged after him, knocking over my Bowmaster and damaging her armor in the process. They are still pretty upset at each other but I made it clear that arguments during battle would not be tolerated.

I didn't direct enough attention to the Strongarm in the early game, so it was still in pretty good shape going into the endgame. In the endgame I wound up with my half-strength, half-armor Backbiter being Pillaged by a bunch of enemies who would go down in one hit -- except the Strongarm. Not seeing any way to attack him without being killed, I settled for taking out all the other enemies and accepting my fate.

Having agreed that loser picks the next map, I chose to visit the Beach for game 2, and I was now looking out quite attentively for that Strongarm. I never seemed to get a chance to do a good Strength hit on him though. Going into the endgame I had knocked out most of his armor, and killed or crippled most of rodereve's other units, but the Strongarm was still at his full 15 strength.

Fortunately, my Warhawk had been skirting around the edges of the battle and was also at full strength, with a decent amount of armor remaining to boot. We ended up in something of a standoff for a while where we each had our one tough Varl and two other crippled units. I was able to use my crippled units to block, making sure my Warhawk was always just in range to hit the Strongarm with him unable to reach me, thanks to his slightly shorter movement range and the lack of any inspiring music (i.e. rodereve had fewer Horn uses available than I did). If he killed one of my other units to open a path, it wouldn't matter because then my Warhawk would have his turn before the Strongarm. He eventually ran out of room to retreat, and I claimed victory.

For game 3, we went back to the Wall, for a game that opened similarly but without me messing up my front line. Rodereve's Raidmaster was again sent behind enemy lines, but this time my backbiter left it to the archers to deal with him themselves, staying in the front to help deal with the pressing threats there.

As it turned out, the archers did a fine job dealing with the Raidmaster, with some help from my Warhawk. The endgame came down to a shootout between all four archers, but since mine had heavier armor, I was able to secure the game and my right to progress in the tournament.

TL;DR: Had a great match against rodereve and won 2-1.
    Last edited by InfiniteNutshell; 05-08-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Haha couldn't have said it better ggs the better viking won

Erf, I just watched the streams of those games against Mindflare again, and I played even worse than I felt at the time... So many stupid moves. Color me ashamed ! I expect the experienced players to cringe a lot watching these ; I know I did.
    Mindflare, there are a couple of relatively easy to spot late game moves which would have won you the third game ; killing my SA on your second turn in the first game would have helped you a lot too (I understand that was a misclick ?).

EDIT : also, top post updated.
    Last edited by Butters; 05-09-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loveboof View Post
    Not so sure about the endgame (I'm no 'expert' lol), but from about 13 minutes you definitely could have won it :P
    Yeah, especially that RoA-than-never-came-to-be was the turning point. I really didn't see it, and rodereve was apparently expecting it (he said it on the chat). Twas just my poor sleepy eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by loveboof View Post
    Also, I think you devoted too many resources to taking out the raider in #1 and #2 while he was stonewalled! Almost all your opening moves were about getting through his ability... so much WP!
    That's true, but as it turns out (Ref: InfiniteNutshell-vs-rodereve post), rodereve heavily employs this Ramming-the-StoneWalled-RM combo. So, perhaps it was worth it spending some (!) WP to disrupt his plan-A. In Match#1, he didn't get to use it cuz the RM was maimed by round-1. In Match#2 he didn't have to use it cuz I stupidly took my SA out-of-formation. He eventually used it in Match#3 to good result: I didn't see it coming, I subsequently chose to push the attack with my van instead of retreating to deal with the threat, and, when I finally chose to take him out (@14m45s w my SS) I failed miserably and blew the match. In retrospect, I think that preventing/mitigating such threats (i.e. to keep one's archers safe) is a top priority for most situations...

It's definitely a priority to mitigate threats, but I think there are better ways to do that without having to burn through so much willpower. Even if you kill the raider, he has served a very useful purpose for the enemy by eating 12 WP or more and 3 different unit turns!

Instead you could block him, or lure him onto a RoA, etc...
    Last edited by loveboof; 05-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.

reporting a 2:0 loss to strange_carrots
    streamed: https://www.twitch.tv/dabhand1/videos...ast_broadcasts

gg dabhand. Thanks for streaming too. Will set the next fight with Nut when I see him.

Alright, me vs. raven! I have excitement

Alright, p6 tournament is nearing completion !
    Losers' bracket Finals between InfiniteNutshell and Mindflare77 is up ; I will be playing the winner in the Grand Final !

In p12, Tirean vs me should happen some time tomorrow Sunday (hopefully).

So raven and I had an...odd session today. We were planning to meet at 11 (AM his time, PM my time) for our match, but right before that the matchmaker happened to set us against each other (he was in p6 QM (I think), I was in p6 RM). He beat me in that match but it didn't count for anything.

Then we did our actual best-of-3 tourney match, which raven recorded so you can watch it if you want. Game 1 went to him, and game 2 looked to be in my favor until the game bugged out on me on a critical turn, preventing me from moving through a square I needed to pass through to attack with my Shieldmaster (I guess this is a known issue? but I had not encountered it before today). After finishing that game we worked through how it would have gone if I hadn't gotten messed up by the bug, and raven graciously conceded the win to me. I think the main reason he did was because it meant we got to play one more game, but anyway, game 3 went normally. It was really really close. But I managed to win it!

So: it looks like I'm moving on to a rematch with Mindflare, and raven is moving on to only being in one tournament at a time.

Hehe fun stuff but it is hard to do both

ohjustme has a 2:1 victory against me
    stream online

2:1 vs dabhand - i go further. It's all recorded on his stream, so enjoy! That were good games though i made a way too bold advance with my WL in the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNutshell View Post
    game 2 looked to be in my favor until the game bugged out on me on a critical turn... [so] raven graciously conceded the win to me. I think the main reason he did was because it meant we got to play one more game, but anyway, game 3 went normally. It was really really close. But I managed to win it!
    I'm assuming that Raven actually won match #2 but let you claim it?

Not really my business at all, but I think the fairest thing to do would be to just rematch that game! He won the first game legitimately to your legit win in game 3 - the decider shouldn't be as vague as a gentlemanly concession imo...

But it's not up to me
    Last edited by loveboof; 05-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast