Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compilation of suggestions & remarks (just small- & medium-scaled ones, this time!)

Seems like the "dead-bodies" thing did not land very well on most guys . It is currently getting a -4 rating... Well, I'll have to admit that it was a <10% chance, with it being a somewhat large-scale change, not a mere perturbation!

Aleonymous,

Funny thing actually, can you imagine archers were even stronger before during the beta, and even stronger prior to that?

Stoic mentioned before that during the early days of the game, before the beta, archers could shoot even farther and melee units had more move range. How these two synced together during that time I do not know.

During beta premiere, without Pillage or the horn, archers were THE strongest unit. They closed majority of games, I'm not at all afraid to throw out an estimate like 90% of battles - wouldn't be surprised if this was accurate. They could kite and do outlandish stuff using the turn advantage and range, making them so strong.

To address this, archer move range was reduced from 3 to 2, but given 1 more willpower. This helped a tinsy bit, but was not enough. They still dominated, and it took Pillage to balance archers and get them more in line.

After Pillage, archer move range was returned to 3, willpower was reduced by 1, but to test things (and I mean really test things), Stoic gave archers 6 base shoot range (BM's shot 7 with BoP). This was also during the time Stoic tested 3 varl limit during the beta, and lower armor break across the board (-1 max for all units, starting 0 on some - imagine BMs and SAs up until that point could have 3 base break, BBs and PKs had 4, that's 6-7 break with wp). Nerfing armor break proved to make the game play at a better pace and with a better flow. 3 Varl limit proved to create some imbalance, and worsen the game pace, game flow, and strategy on the board (cos it just turned into walking to the center and hitting each other again and again like brutes). 6 Archer range moved the game closer toward kiting archers, like Pre-Pillage (note there had been no willpower buff yet, and all units had less than they do now, archers had the most).

Eventually we got to where we are today, and the largest changes were willpower buff across the board (+1 for all), SB stat point buff (meaning they get +2 willpower as opposed to the rest), SA ability rework and nerfs, BB str nerf, and class limit change (3 max for a specific base class).

Well, suffice to say, archers were never underpowered and were always "OP"...base archers even without considering the abilities actually. We'd need input from Stoic how this came to be, but suffice to say, even if they were "OP" since you could always bring your own, and the team balance was always tenuous (2-3 archers was where it was at pre-pillage and pre-armor break nerf), cos you needed stuff to defend them), you couldn't really "abuse" mass archers - and people still played largely even games.

RE: your comment about other reward modes/challenge modes...playing expert I think is not really viewed as a "sacrifice" by foregoing the 15 seconds of thinking time for that +2 renown. It can be thought of it that way, but I think it's more an incentive for being able to play proficiently at that level. Doing challenges, like feats, is I feel similar since you need thought and strategy to accomplish what it might entail.
    Last edited by raven2134; 04-24-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks Raven. Very interesting recursion, particularly on the point about the "declining" trend for archers' OP-ness! I'll think it out and comment later (now at work).

About the Challenge-mode: what I was saying is that if there's no price to pay (even like the 30-vs-45 secs), then there's no reason for there being a special button to "tick". This mode could be "always on", so you'd just expect it to grant you some more renown (e.g. like the underdog) if you do well. I'm afraid that in such a manner it would make renown-farmers more cruel on newer-players etc. Perhaps if was only available in Ranked matches?

Hello everybody! Hello Stoic!
    I have one suggestion about Proving Grounds UI: Drop button.
    It would be nice to clear roster in one click.
    Something like that:
    https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/25691000.png/
    https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/72167589.png/

That sounds cool yea, Aleonymous, Ranked only, would be cool if it was "always on" but random like you'd get 2 optional challenged but would never know which ones until the match started.

Hello SiberianOrc. I also like your suggestion. This seems an easy-to-do feature, and it's much faster than six click-n-drags. Good for ppl that are experimenting a lot with their builds, and like to start from tabula rasa

@Raven: Yup, that balances it even more. Like a surprise "gift"! Ahhh, how I liked my first days in TBSF when the Achievements where unlocked every 2-3 matches Now, just looking at this Ranking-2400 gives me vertigo (inverted, actually)!

Finally, another "bug-like" thing in PGs I forgot to mention: When browsing the unit-details, the Left/Right buttons on top of the unit-portrait, always & only follow the 6 characters in the current-build. For example, even if you're currently looking at a unit stationed in the barracks, clicking L/R will get you to one of the 6 units selected.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-24-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Finally, another "bug-like" thing in PGs I forgot to mention: When browsing the unit-details, the Left/Right buttons on top of the unit-portrait, always & only follow the 6 characters in the current-build. For example, even if you're currently looking at a unit stationed in the barracks, clicking L/R will get you to one of the 6 units selected.
    My guess is that is acutally expected behavior, but I do find that annoying too...

Random thought, ability to save teams would be nice, say your p6 and p12 teams

Separate issue from the others being discussed, but I'd like to see how much of the Daily Log In bonus I have left at a given time.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Quote Originally Posted by mindflare77 View Post
    Separate issue from the others being discussed, but I'd like to see how much of the Daily Log In bonus I have left at a given time.
    Not that is super convenient, but you can just restart the game for that banner to show up again
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    Not that is super convenient, but you can just restart the game for that banner to show up again
    Fair point. Usually I'm wondering late at night when I'm tired enough that, once I turn it off, I'm going to want to just go to bed instead... But you make a valid point.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

I am reviving this "finished" thread to say that I've compiled some more suggestions & remarks, raised during the discussion. I've appended them at the end of the original post. Hopefully the devs will look into some of those...

Njael
    I would like a "banner"-button in my barracks. It should show:
    * Total Ranks (or Power) of all chars
    * Ranks of different classes with subtypes
    * Total kills of all chars
    * Kills of different classes with subtypes
    * Spend reknown in total

An example for the ranks/kills:
    * Archers - Total Ranks 20
    ** Archers - Ranks 0 (but can have kills if not promoted)
    ** Bowmasters - Ranks 4
    ** Siege Archers - Ranks 6
    ** Sky Strikers - Ranks 10

Another suggestion for the thread- If your turn times out, but you have an action just waiting for the confirmation click, it should execute that action. Everyone has had a turn lost to them at least once from being just a tad too slow with the click buttons, especially when Rain of Arrows or willpower spending toggles were involved. It's the worse feeling ever and can easily cost you the game. There's a near zero chance that someone would have an attack or move waiting confirmation (ok, maybe a move) and want the timeout to cancel it.

If some people would rather not have this feature, it could be a toggle like the 30 second timer.

Njael, how does that information help you? It doesn't seem to present anything useful or informative when you already can see things visually.

Njael
    @raven: It helps to get a review of all your units. It would also add the number of battles, which is at the moment a bit hidden. When there are more base- and advanced-classes it would really nice to know, how many kills have my units? whom can I promote by now for a higher ranked team? And also just to compare to other players

[EDIT] It also would be nice to put units from this table into your roster by clicking a green up-arrow to put them in and a red down-arrow to pull them back to barracks.

-----

And I have another idea ^^ What about an auto-pause after positioning and clicking ready at the start of the game, maybe 30s. Often I use half of my first turn just to check what ranks and stats the units of my opponent have, making a quick plan for movement and how his positioning influence my standard tactic.
    Last edited by Njael; 05-30-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    If your turn times out, but you have an action just waiting for the confirmation click, it should execute that action. If some people would rather not have this feature, it could be a toggle like the 30 second timer.
    I'd like to have that too. It's not a priority or anything, but most times its better to do "whatever", rather than waste a turn trying to decide...

Quote Originally Posted by Njael View Post
    What about an auto-pause after positioning and clicking ready at the start of the game, maybe 30s.
    You mean, after the enemy's deployment and units are revealed, right? I find that also very useful. Laying out a strategy, however crude or fast, is better that dashing headlong into danger and wasting time examining enemy units. It's not crucial (most of us spend our first turns -and the enemy's ones- examining the units, the initiatives, thinking of combos and mitigations etc), but it's surely helpful.

Ahh I thought you meant like a summary stat like 10000 total kills, not per character. I see how that would be useful, yea. The total stuff seems like it would be better placed in a personal stat page somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2