Thread: Know your units: Episode 8, Warhawk

Know your units: Episode 8, Warhawk

The second of the Warrior family is the deadly Warhawk. As with all Warriors, his strength attacks with create 1 damage ripples to enemies adjacent to your main target. His power is called Tempest, and what it does is allow you to make basic strength attacks at 100% accuracy to 2/3/4 adjacent (non-diagonal) targets with level. The targets are chosen via you picking the "first" target while the rest are automatically selected in a clockwise rotation. Notice how I'm using the word "target" instead of enemy. This is because Tempest is one of the few attacks that can target your allies. Usually, friendly fire can be avoided with care, just pay attention to which purple squares are filled in, that's what you'll hit. If however, the Warhawk is surrounded by enemy and ally in alternation, then using the power will be costly. Since the targets of Tempest count as being "Strength attacked" the ripple effect will occur originating on every enemy you hit. Causing lots of numbers to fly.

*EDIT* Answered Question: if you tempest an ally, the Heavy Impact ripple does not happen from them.

Like the Backbiter and Bowmaster, the power is based on the Warhawks Strength, and boosted when the target has low armor. At full 16 Strength the power is a game changer, killing or maiming multiple targets at once. When warhawks are injured, they become significantly less threatening, however, the 1 damage at 100% plus ripple damage can still be useful.

"Good place to put screenshots"
    Take special note of two units adjacent to each other on one side flat with the Warhawk- since the shockwaves will cross between the targets, this means you can do a minimum of 2 STR damage to both of them. Another good target is 3 enemies in a L shape with your warhawk tucked into the corner. The corner unit, while avoiding the direct damage, will get 2 STR damage, one from each rippling target. Take note that ripple damage will trigger Return the Favor from Shield Varls if they are adjacent to you, even if you didn't hit them directly, but if they aren't adjacent the ripple damage goes unpunished.

Any combo with a Warmaster applies to a Warhawk as well.

Stats and Roles:

Minimum: 7/10/2/0/1, 12/16/11/2/2. While their only role is doing lots of Strength damage, here are some notes on Stat use:

Armor: Since Warhawks are weaker than Warmasters when maimed, having some armor can buy another hit out of them before they become useless, especially if you team them with Raiders granting shieldwall.

Strength: Like bowmasters and backbiters, should probably be maxed at 16 (which one shot kills a unit with 8/8 stats)

Exertion: Just like Warmasters, Warhawks need exertion to keep from being outranged. Sometimes they need it more to move into a prime tempest spot rather than Masters that just need to reach one unit. Exertion also lets them oneshot up a 9/9 unit. If a Warhawk is maimed, you can use the Exertion to power Break attacks.

Break: On one hand, having 2 break can be a lot better than having 1. On the other, with careful play you'll never need to break and you might get better use of that point in armor or exertion. Choice is yours.

Will: You probably want 1 more Will than Exertion to ensure you can still tempest after a long move. If he's still functioning mid game he's a great candidate for horn will.

Weaknesses: Similiar to Warmasters, difference include: Warhawks generally fare worse when used as early aggression, as they are less dangerous when left maimed and with slightly higher base armor can end up living longer. The Tempest power can be twarted by the "Varl Screen" formation, where two units fomr a line with an empty space between them (and sometimes an archer making it a Triangle one step back when the flanks are unreachable). Because Tempest can create 2+ hits on a Shieldvarl in a single attack, watch out for your armor.

The weaknesses above make him more risky than the Warmaster, but their potential when un-maimed, especially with turn advantage, is a much greater reward than the Warmaster boosted ripple.
    Last edited by Kletian999; 05-14-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: answered ally impact question

Fielding a WH also has a psychological impact, far more so than any other unit, making a mistake against one can be fatal. On the other hand, they are prime targets for RoA, as you can generally guess where they are going to go, or at least keep them from doing too much harm.

Heavy impact does not trigger on allies

Thank you Raven!

To add a few more thoughts to the thread, the Warhawk is a great "newbie killer" unit- Rookie mistakes against them by your opponents, like failing to maim ASAP and allowing Tempests will earn you easy victories. This is probably the best class to spend your first post Thrasher upgrade on. As Enemy skill improves, it becomes harder to create good opportunities but still definitely worth the effort to use.

My contribution... I nicknamed my Warhawk "pillage-proof" after this bout!

I consider it a problem that WH's Willpower minimum is 2. He is the only unit to have that and, apart from the fact that he can't use Rank-3 ability, that makes him OP at Rank-3. I'll explain:

1. At Rank-3, WH can have max ARM & STR (28 hit-points total) and maintain a max of 2EX too.
    2. Current metagame has Warriors sitting in the back until enemies are softened or killed, granting Horn Willpower.
    3. Rank-1 Tempest landed from a full STR WH on weakened enemies is often a match-deciding move.
    4. High-rank Tempest is highly unlikely, being way too situational.

The combination of the above makes the Rank-3 WH --when properly used-- an indomitable adversary. I suggest increasing his min-WP to 3. The point should be deducted from his min STR or ARM. Decreasing the min-AB to zero is the least favorable alternative.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

With 2 WP, he'll have a hard time using that 2 EX while still being able to Tempest. Relying on willpower makes it easier to approach him with two raiders shieldwalling in the early game to break the "wait and dominate" strategy. I would say cutting his arm or break stats fit the most thematically if you HAD to force another point into willpower.

I am sure there are ways to address the "late party-crusher WH" issue, but I do believe that it is difficult & costly. Even as you proposed, sacrificing two raiders to take-down (or maybe just maim) a single unit, is a bad trade-off IMO.

About which min-stat should be decreased: Possible options are STR, ARM or AB; EX-min is already at zero. Decreasing the AB to zero is also dangerous, metagame-wise: Very few people actually want AB on their WHs, i.e. 0AB would allow for the same "vital-stat" mix at rank-3: 12ARM/16STR/3EX/2WP... That's why I'd go for decreasing either min-STR or min-ARM.

While Warhawk's tempest is incredibly powerful when it goes off, it comes with some pretty hefty weaknesses. If he doesn't get up adjacent to 2 enemies, or at least 1 enemy with other enemies adjacent to it, he's basically doing strength attacks or mediocre armor breaking with little willpower behind it. The other two warrior classes are far more solid against individual targets, either with strength attacks or breaking armor, while the heavy impact still allows them to do some work against packed enemies. Another issue is that if Warhawk is brought down to no strength and no willpower he's a big paperweight who can possibly do a spattering of 1 damage hits or mediocre armor breaking, while the Krumr or Hakon clones still have some utility.

Overall with its situational strengths and easily exploitable weaknesses I'd rank Warhawk above the Krumr clone and below the Hakon clone. Definitely something the enemy has to deal with, but the Warhawk either goes out in a blaze of glory or just goes out. There's not much middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by natej11 View Post
    Overall with its situational strengths and easily exploitable weaknesses I'd rank Warhawk above the Krumr clone and below the Hakon clone. Definitely something the enemy has to deal with, but the Warhawk either goes out in a blaze of glory or just goes out. There's not much middle ground.
    I, personally, use the Warhawk much more often than the Warmaster and Warleader, especially in rank-3 statted as 12/16/2/2/1. But, yes, I agree that he's a one-hit-wonder (quoting Tirean )... So, you hope that this one hit comes in the end of the match, and it is the deciding one!

I tried some games with 2 WHs in my formation. I didn't used it this often yet, but I think even the psychological factor, which was mentioned in this thread before, seemed to work just fine. While the enemy can easily outplay one WH, it seems to me that you have to play in a calm manner, so that you can handle these 2 without exposing your troops to the remaining threats.
    I don't think it's pretty wise to play with 2 of them against a calm and thoughtfull player, since because of them you will play somewhat more aggressive than usual, but it sure is a fun way to get into a fight

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I am sure there are ways to address the "late party-crusher WH" issue, but I do believe that it is difficult & costly. Even as you proposed, sacrificing two raiders to take-down (or maybe just maim) a single unit, is a bad trade-off IMO.

About which min-stat should be decreased: Possible options are STR, ARM or AB; EX-min is already at zero. Decreasing the AB to zero is also dangerous, metagame-wise: Very few people actually want AB on their WHs, i.e. 0AB would allow for the same "vital-stat" mix at rank-3: 12ARM/16STR/3EX/2WP... That's why I'd go for decreasing either min-STR or min-ARM.
    What sacrifice? you get two raiders hitting the warrior down to 10 str or less, they aren't really in danger anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    What sacrifice? you get two raiders hitting the warrior down to 10 str or less, they aren't really in danger anymore.
    For two raiders to harm the lurking 12ARM WH in such a way, they would: (a) be cut-off from the rest of their team, thus susceptible to untimely death and (b) be statted so that at least one of them will be low-AB and/or WP-less by the time they accomplish this feat.

Note: By the end of the match, the 12ARM/10STR WH can still be "physically rude" to people with 7ARM or less

I love Warhawks, they are my favourite type of warrior varl. Something I find is that some players underestimate the amount of damage a wh can still inflict even if his strength is low. When using tempest combined with heavy impact he is still dangerous even if injured. If they have willpower left, they are indeed dangerous till the end.