Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideas that might help bringing people into Factions.

Dismissing should only be allowed if Your barracks are full - there, all problems solved ≧(▽`)≦

Not solved if you dismiss your archers while the rest of the slots are raiders and Varls.

I agree with rodereve that keeping players will be important once the next influx starts (after the Saga Ch 1 is released and everyone who plays it wants MOAR TBS). I think the best way to keep players in Factions is to add on social layers, like...

• Allowing challenges via chat or other places, as I saw proposed in a recent thread. In online chess programs there's usually just a command like "\challenge username".
    • Fixing chat, so it's more useful. I don't know exactly how it should change, but it's less useful than it could be. Maybe for starters, set up "tables"/rooms that one can "\join 201" or "\join username" (if each player is allowed to make one room) or "\join help" (to crowdsource answers to the "newbie mistakes" Kletian mentioned). These would have corresponding "\talk channel" commands, or whatever is normally used for this sort of thing.
    • Make it easy to find the community and stuff outside the game (namely, the forums and wiki). Now that you have a News thing in-game, that helps a lot.
    • Allow user-generated maps in Friend matches. Also, sandbox (e.g., for "let's set up in these positions and see if I can force a win").

I imagine the chat improvements would take a lot of work -- since, e.g., in-game usernames from Steam are not unique or permanent -- but Stoic is not going to rely on Steam Friends in the long run, anyways, ... and the changes (especially the challenge-via-chat and a help chat channel) could really pay off if/when the next horde of vikings arrives. I guess the current plan is to extend Factions beyond Steam after the full Saga, unless they sell so many copies that they can hire new people to work on it full-time...

Allowing chat channels shouldn't require a big overhaul, though, right? And, maybe challenges could be made by right-clicking a name in chat or something?

wow, i saw a common factor in this discussion...MAKE THE TUTORIAL BETTER!!! not the videos ( which are not working for me btw...i click on them but nothing happens). During the 1st tutorial game let them take a percentage shot, let them miss, let their unit die and then show them the magic of breaking armor and turn advantage...also, I think the tutorial vids need an update as units get altered(nerfed/ability change) too often. People say tbsf is a beta, I cant counter that argument as the game feels experimental to me as-well..ps, still w8in for my story slimsy! XD

@Axiom: Of course, you already know how to play, but if you come across someone else who wants to see the tutorials but cannot, they're copied over here.

I think designing a foolproof interactive tutorial is a lot more work than one might expect, and that's why they tried to lean on videos for all but the most basic stuff. It's been a while since I saw them, but I do recall that they're missing some important stuff, yeah. I hope Stoic has a chance to improve them.

Another solid way of attracting ppl: more skins and more units....I want them, ALL OF THEM!!!!! XD

Let leveled units be run at lower levels, right now you need to keep a full stable of level 1, 2, and 3 if you want variations on your team. This makes leveling bad in a way that is highly counterintuitive.

Downgrading units is a complex feature that won't be used for the Single player game, so the Devs have said it rather unlikely for it to be done.

Unlikely for it to be done "at this time"

I've started playing Banner Saga Factions for a month and I love the game! (I've always liked games like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics). I think I've already bored some friends talking about Banner Saga and asking them to join us, but for the last few days I'm kinda stopping to play and I think that it may be for the lack of stuff to do with my setup and units. (I know that there is pressure on you guys to create new units, but I think that is VERY important!)

So, as a big fan of Tactics Ogre, I think that the most important factor to make me love the game and play it for years (I think I know it for 10 years or more and I still like to play it) is the level of customization of my troops. Just to have an idea, this game have: 12 male unit classes, 8 female unit classes, 9 creature classes, 9 dragon classes (you could fit 2 dragons on your team, like varls) and 5 beasts. Each character had 4 equipment slots and lots of attributes including element and alignment.

Each class have a very singular way to be played, singular special habilities and very different attributes from each other.

I'm explaining all that just to say that what makes me want to play the game till today is this customization, I can change my strategy and try it for a hundred battles but there are so many strategies and setups that I've never tried and I want to try, that makes it almost endless for me (and enjoyable).

So, it's a long reply but I think it's worth to show you guys about this game in particular (you should play it, there is a new version for PSP) and show that, customization, for us who like strategy games, is very very very... (∞) important to make people like it more and play it for longer.
    Last edited by Space_Ghost; 05-28-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Hi Spaceghost. I think the gameplan for The Banner Saga and Factions in the end (Chapter 3) was/is to have a total of 64 unique advance classes from 16 basic classes (4 per chapter: Factions initial, 1, 2 , 3, total of 84 classes).

Some of the upcoming (though not immediately) revealed basic units are mender male, mender female, spearman, and berserker. We also are still awaiting the 4th class for our existing 4 basic units.

Nice, wow that will be amazing! You guys have all my support, your game is awesome, I've lost the kickstart timing but I've already got some renown from the market to support this game as I can (and to have some nice units).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2