Thread: UI suggestion for Tempest

Lightbulb UI suggestion for Tempest

I think the UI for Tempest targeting could be a bit more clear.
    There are still quite a few people confused by it and asking about it in chat.
    The targeted units have the filled purple squares, but the other targets still have the same glowing/pulsating purple outline as before choosing targets. These tiles actually stand out a bit more, visually.
    My suggestion is, after targets are selected, remove the outlines from the units that are not targeted. And maybe make the selected targets stand out a bit more (purple squares filled AND pulsating ?). That may avoid some confusions.

I agree; this would help new players identify its mechanics faster! Actually, a consistency-sweep across some other active abilities for this sort of minor issues, for example:

BoP --- It's a little weird that it shows damage (+puncture) after you click on a target. Simple archer-shots show damage dealt on moused-over units directly; why not BoP?
    SnB --- It could highlight the 5-tile "cross" to be damaged (as well as "candidate coal-tiles"?) after selecting a target-tile.

I thought Bird of Prey already did what you suggest Aleonymous? Not going to load up the game to check right now, but I think if you have the ability selected it will give you mouseover damage. Or am I imagining stuff that isn't there due to not having played in a week or two...

Do any of the active abilities give you mouseover damage? They probably all should.

Anyway the problem I see with removing the unfilled purple squares for Tempest is that there is then no indicator of how you could change your selection. But I agree that it would be nice for the filled purple squares to stand out a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNutshell View Post
    I think if you have the ability selected it will give you mouseover damage.
    I'm pretty sure that, when you activate BoP, it just shows you tile-range covered in purple. Mouse over does nothing, and then you have to actually click on a target-unit to see the damage (and one last click to confirm the shot), For example check ojustme's stream (at 12m55s).

This idea is terribly bad. If tempest UI will change ill have one less reason to laugh about