Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Rensei's new project

Ok, so I did it. They are being destroyed all at once.

Initial run marks matching groups as targets, then calls itself, marking targets if there are some, and launching the destruction procedure if all are marked. Then comes the filling in and the whole thing goes back until there is no more filling to be made. Then it lets You play.

From the testing I did, combos don't seem to go crazy (I mean the initial once went up to 14 but it can also be just 0).

Now I need You guys to test it. And test it hard (especially on slower and ultra fast machines). Go launch it vs insane losing quickly and observe the initial drop behavior:
    - are all groups destroyed correctly?
    - do the new ones fall only on top of the column, not between old ones?
    - is a column with more than one part of it destroyed (like, looking from the bottom: gem, blank, gem, blank, blank, blank, gem, gem) collapsing properly (and completely) and then filled on top?
    - are the new gems (and the gems the were between two or more gaps) recognized correctly (can You move them around? can use them to create new matching groups?)?

I did some heavy testing and it all looks ok, but I really want to make sure the "manager" part is polished before moving on to the "quest".

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    The rebalance of appearances is greatly appreciated. It feels "right" that Exertion is now limiting whether I make a multipoint hit instead of willpower. Armor still seems low enough that you never get more than 2 points in a game, I don't know exactly what your goal is there.
    10 blue either refills broken armor (if missing), or increases the max (if at max), so You need 20 blue to actually gain something (+1 max, refill). This might feel too slow, but seeing how You can only break armor in small chunks I don't want to give anyone the ability to get it too high.

Wasted snipes are way down, but now it seems snipes are underpowered. Spending 1 will for 1 damage is usually looked down upon, and even if not, that's a Bowmaster's job, not a Skystriker! I think it'd be cool if the Skystriker snipe made the enemy not gain points that turn, than you could make a Siege archer character that takes 1 str and 1 break with her special. Maybe the bowmaster could stay 1 point normally, but get a reduced form of puncture effect on it (4 break= extra 1 damage). Even Strongarm could do something cool with his snipe, taking away armor and partial point from whatever bank is highest to simulate having to regain your position.
    The snipe is just temporary. I was planning to give more abilities to choose from as You gain levels. And I will definitely let You choose Your class (one of the basic 4 and then specialize at level 10 for example).

Also, Khaleesi is NOT a skystriker! She is the mother of dragons :]

I don't think the higher level enemies should start with (that much) exertion. Previously, Derp vader killed you when he got 3 Reds unless you could miraculously land 2 4 point breaks and a series of red hits, or miraculously get lots of snipes without wasting will on exerted misses will he raised anything but Red. Now KB can either kill you with 2 Reds, or he gets 2 Greys and you have zero armor ensuring you'll never get his str low enough to avoid a oneshot.
    The harder enemies are supposed to be a "gear check bosses" - with every level You will get +1 to stats (probably depending on class) and quests/shops will give You items that make fights easier (ring that gives the initial drop to You, amulet that reduces the required points to 9, instead of 10, armor that gives You bonus red point every time You gain more than 3 red points etc. etc.).

They are not meant to be killed by level 0 heroes (though I am SURE one of You will eventually make it and become a scary monster).

As to whether "attacks" should be activated- I definitely would prefer the ability to not make wasted Strs or get a but more exert before making a break in some form. This game doesn't let you wait too long between making Break and Str attacks if you want to live and sometimes you use all the break icons you have available until you make other matches. I certainly would hate to lose out on a massive windfall combo- maybe storing more than 1 attack worth could cost more (10,15,20) or the storage cap was 30 instead of 19..
    You don't lose out on any combos - the storage has no limit, so if You are at 9/10 red and then do a crazy combo that results with 35 red, You will have 44, make an attack, and have 34/10 left. From there, even the smallest gain of red points will trigger an attack (making red points even more valuable). Getting just 3 red afterwards will increase the pool to 37, trigger an attack and leave You at 27/10 from where You have at least 3 more sure strikes.

Of course I am willing to change it to make more attacks in a row straight away, or let the player trigger them.

As always - thanks a lot for sharing Your thoughts <3
    Last edited by Rensei; 06-04-2013 at 08:36 AM.

This is great Rensei! Your game is getting better and better : )

My only complaint at the moment is that the win/lose sound effects are too over-the-top.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #44
    Very cool. John and Alex were playing it up at work yesterday. If Chapter 1 ships late it's YOUR FAULT!

I know the current system has no max for storing windfall points; I was saying though if it changes to a manual attack system and it's proving too imbalanced, you could implement one of those methods to bring it down.

In 10 games vs KB, 2 of them opened with a 10 and 13 chain respectively. The rest tended to be 4, but I had one game with no opening and 3 with less than 2.

Complex shape matching seems to work as I'd expect. Seems like armor is actually present enough to make a difference, which I like. Break and Str tiles seem to be a bit rarer in response but that's not bad. Exertion tiles seem a bit more plentiful than last version and my will and snipability suffered.

Rensei- if you get the chance could you add a volume control or on/off option?

Exertion tiles seem a bit more plentiful than last version and my will and snipability suffered.
    You know? I had the same feeling during the test trials, though I swear I didn't mess with the pre-dropping mechanism O_o

Volume control? Hmm no idea how it works... but then again same goes for the rest of the app :] Will dig into into it tomorrow.

Are the sounds generally too loud and bosses shout at You for not working or is it just win/lose ones (like InfiniteNutshell noted)?

Quote Originally Posted by Yth View Post
    Rensei- if you get the chance could you add a volume control or on/off option?
    I second this option. I find all the sounds generally on the louder side of things.

Quick fix before I go to work - the slider below XP bar (bottom middle) should now allow You to control the volume of all sounds. It should also be able to remember where You left it between sessions.

Now that I think of it - it would probably be better to put it into "manager" part :/

Quick question - could this work on mobile (Android?). There are apps that run most of the swf out there. I tried with manager but get stuck at 0% loading. Maybe there's a process there not adapted to a mobile environment ? I have no idea how difficult it would be to make that work, but I know it would be mighty cool to play this on the go !

Double post, sorry.

@Butters, I've got a Galaxy S3,and the first link (banner quest, I think?) works fine for me without downloading anything extra that I know of. Haven't tried the managers yet.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Same here. The mobile opera can't open it, even after installing adobe flash player, but the built in browser works... well decently (can rotate it and zoom in, but hitting the gems still can be troublesome if You want to see at least the whole board, also things like swipe could be implemented in).

I could add some swipe and phone shaking actions in and export the manager alone as an apk file, but have currently no idea how to utilize smartphone pluses best (time is kinda short too :/).

To my delight, even on my lousy phone, where things are noticeably slower the cleaning and dropping functions do their jobs.
    Last edited by Rensei; 06-05-2013 at 09:16 AM.

I forgot to simply try in a browser, silly me :/ I guess I'm too used to mobile Chrome which does not support Flash. I bet it would play just fine on my big-ass phone then !

One constructive criticism I would offer is that there should either be a tutorial or a basic page of directions. I am a veteran of Puzzle Quest and other match 3 games, but when I first started it wasn't really clear what was going on...like I was questioning for a minute if I was Strongderp or Khaleesi. And then it took me a good while to figure out how the matches I was making affected the "battle." (I'm still figuring it out. I get that as you fill up to 10 in the categories you trigger an attack or boost.) So some kind of guide would make the game a little more accessible, I think.

Nice work; this is an impressive project!
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Looking forward to future content now that the matching is simultaneous.

This is really cool. Though once we have future content, it might be useful to be able to save games.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3