Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Rensei's new project

Lightbulb Rensei's new project

https://rensei.webs.com/bannerquest.swf - current version

https://rensei.webs.com/better_manager.swf

https://rensei.webs.com/manager.swf

UPDATE 7:
    - following Mr & Mrs Kletian advise all matched groups are now being destroyed together, creating potential for some wicked combos, and following the Bejeweled rules more tightly.

UPDATE 6:
    - following K_B's advise the enemy is now getting his points only AFTER You are given Yours, instead right after the move - if You are one move from death You can win with last epic move.
    - leveling system (well the very basics of it)
    - new buttons (some are missing text, how do You like them?)
    - You now CAN train with Aleo... or can You?
    - testing confirmed that H formation is also properly recognized and destroyed
    - pretty sure I managed to fix two more things following people's advises but I am too tired to thin O_o
    - Hodor!

UPDATE 5:
    - container file added, You can battle opponents on 3 difficulties (click on Khaleesi, then on one of 3 buttons) and visit Butters villa for a chance to get some items (click on Butters villa).

UPDATE 4:
    Better manager. (DO TEST IT! ^_^)
    - totally rewritten sweeping/destroying code now finally detects L, T and cross (and any others, should also work for, for example H, though I have yet to achieve it) shaped X/Y axis combinations instead picking just one.
    - old point counting formula didn't work well with current system, so now it's ((number of gems destroyed/2) - 3 + combo counter) making it more lucrative to try and get more gems blown at once.
    - exertion score moved near the shield, I think it will stay there after some tuning.
    - death animation reworked.
    - a little moving around on the bottom part resulted with bigger and more visible info box.
    - found the mighty horn from Factions in a png format - am tempted to use it ^_^ (wish I've found it while working on the banner map) - maybe 5 resurrection options to give it another try after defeat?

UPDATE 1:
    => Ikea wood somehow made it into yet another production;
    => stats adjusted, loot/experience rewards and turn counter added (it is now harder to win, You can now compete who won faster and with more loot);
    => combo system added (for every drop resulting from Your move the combo counter grows by 1, adding 2xcombo_counter points to next color);
    => colors now follow the basic TBS:F rules:
    - 10 armor gives +1 current armor (if it is already at max, the max armor number is increased instead)
    - 10 str does a standard str attack (compares str and armor, rolls dice if needed and deals damage)
    - 10 willpower gives 1 willpower
    - 10 break reduces the enemy armor by 1
    - 10 special does 1 str dmg ignoring armor BUT only if the attacker has willpower to spend

OLD POST:

Well, here it is. Basically I'm planning to turn it into some kind of Puzzle Quest game, where You pick one class and battle enemies by playing bejeweled with them

For now, every 10 "gems" of one kind will only do damage to the enemy, but later on I am planning to give each different function (10 armor will increase Your armor, 10 break will break the enemy, 10 willpower will add willpower, 10 str will do a str attack, following the saga rules etc. etc.).

It's my solution to the long queue times
    Last edited by Rensei; 06-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.

You, again, have outdone yourself. THANKS

This is really cool! Now I can use two of your tools while streaming (this one is perfect for waiting in queue!)

Oh Em Gee. Neat. Way to be, Rensei, way. to. be.

Awesome, again, Rensei. Thanks for complementing the game with aaaall those mini-applets.

You next project should be something like playing tetris with the bodies of fallen vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    It's my solution to the long queue times
    Huzzah! Especially after yesterday evening's "stormy-seas" or whatever that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    You next project should be something like playing tetris with the bodies of fallen vikings!
    (●ω`●)ゞ This is getting creepy.

The name "manager" comes from the original idea: "Vigrid Manager" (You create and manage a team of vikings taking part in the Vigrid Tournament, trying to get to the top) which I dropped (think I'll try it in Java later on) in favor of... "Valhalla Manager" (the bodies of fallen vikings arrive to Valhalla in different shapes and, well, You basically have to play tetris with them - once I did the drop down loop, I realized it can be used it's a solid base to give "Puzzle Quest" a go. I wanted to try it ever since I saw all the break/str/etc. icons in one line).

Khaleesi gains 22 yellow points (3 base + 0 length + 19 combo).

After an epic battle o... 94 turns!

Suggestions:
    (1) After sniping (purple icons), the WP should decrease
    (2) Exertion: This could fill another buffer, that adds +N (N=[EX/10] tiles you've captured) to whatever you're attempting (when you fullfill 10 tiles), provided that you have the WP to use it. For example, +N to STR damage, +N to your ARM increase, +N to AB, +N to snipe-damage. Of, course, after such an act, the WP is depleted, but not the EX-buffer.

(1) It does, it even says so in the combat log. I am pretty sure I tested this one quite a few times and it acted as intended.

I'll look into this. Should the willpower be not subtracted again, please give me a shout.

(2) This is the plan more or less (I was thinking about taking both exertion and willpower away for such a boost) :]

As You can see the core mechanic makes it all super random. I am trying to make it at least a bit more tactical - all ideas are welcome.

(1) OK, you're right. It works as it should. It was just that I had so many WP and nothing to do with them!
    (2) Cool, it will make it better!

Another suggestion for making the battle less random (a KLUDGE solution):
    When its the "derp's" turn to play, he doesn't get a pack of three pieces of random color. Instead, we takes three random tiles of the same color from the board, while he also profits from the combos generated when they disappear. No need to be adjacent tiles, cuz I guess that this needs an AI to be developed (heavy!). So, you're askingm which color-tile does he take? Well, make it a less random choice, for example the most (or least) abundant color on the board, at the time of his turn.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 06-02-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Rensei.jpg
    I've got him too!

https://rensei.webs.com/manager.swf

New update:
    - the game now checks for matching gems along bottom-right (was right-bottom) this is the way it should be in the first place but might result with some long combos O_o
    - exertion is now used to boost armor and str attacks, the game checks for exertion and willpower and burns highest equal number of them to bolster the amount of damage done. Derp can use it too but only for armor attacks.
    - Khaleesi now starts with 3 exertion and 3 willpower.

Testing and opinions plz. Also - any idea where to put the exertion number? Current position (next to green points) is temporary.

This one is from after up-date.
    Makes me a champion righ^^?

Feedback, I really wish my exertion wasn't used when I make a low probability Strength (<60%) attack.

It's completely possible for the opening "chain effects" to make a strength attack (at 30%) before you even make a move; then all your will is gone- if this happens you'll probably lose. Maybe exertion can only be applied to the color tile that you moved to start a combo?

It seems like Exertion is the most common color while will is the rarest, I'm constantly out of will and getting wasted purple combos unless I make forced moves to get yellows together.
    Last edited by Kletian999; 06-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Works great, and is a little bit easier than the previous. Nevertheless, when the derp gets the two or three +3STR packs early on, Khaleesi is doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    any idea where to put the exertion number? Current position (next to green points) is temporary.
    Since the mechanic of WP/EX is similar, perhaps you could split the "star" atop the banner in two?

I actually like the Exertion where it is, putting it in the star will make it harder to see which is will and which is exert unless you recolor half the star.

I've lost every time! It'd be cool if when they linked up like

xxx
    x
    x

It cleared both up and sideways.

https://rensei.webs.com/better_manager.swf

Better manager. (DO TEST IT! ^_^)
    - totally rewritten sweeping/destroying code now finally detects L, T and cross (and any others, should also work for, for example H, though I have yet to achieve it) shaped X/Y axis combinations instead picking just one.
    - old point counting formula didn't work well with current system, so now it's ((number of gems destroyed/2) - 3 + combo counter) making it more lucrative to try and get more gems blown at once.
    - exertion score moved near the shield, I think it will stay there after some tuning.
    - death animation reworked.
    - a little moving around on the bottom part resulted with bigger and more visible info box.
    - found the mighty horn from Factions in a png format - am tempted to use it ^_^ (wish I've found it while working on the banner map) - maybe 5 resurrection options to give it another try after defeat?

The combination
    XXX
    ZOOO

Will sometimes clear the bottom row first, invalidating the top row of 3.

They should. A t least thats how Puzzle Quest handled it. Go from bottom and destroy them one by one.

Also - https://rensei.webs.com/bannerquest.swf - new version ready for testing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast