Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Rensei's new project

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
    Holy moly this is awesome. You know, we had an idea for a Banner Saga match 3 game a while ago, oddly enough. I'd love to give more feedback but we are friggin swamped right now. I will keep an eye on this!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Awesome

Could use a new game/town button on the win screen. Wanted to Screen shot my 7/8 armor, 7 strength to 2/-4 victory over medium guy but it disappeared too fast. Wish I had that kind of luck on Derp Vader.

The game is swimming in exertion tiles (part of my super victory was getting less of them than usual so my purples weren't wasted). Will you be adjusting the spawn rates at all?
    Last edited by Kletian999; 06-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.

After losing a hard battle: the town view was "shifted" showing the Deep Forrest to the left (1380 total exp) while Buttersville was cut off: a bug?

Nevermind, apparently there is screen panning and I just discovered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Holy moly this is awesome. You know, we had an idea for a Banner Saga match 3 game a while ago, oddly enough. I'd love to give more feedback but we are friggin swamped right now. I will keep an eye on this!
    Those icons looked like they were meant for a match-3 the moment I saw them all in one line ^_^

Also - hope I didn't mess up Your plans. I am already feeling bad about using Your gorgeous artwork (especially after the assets were removed from steam folder ). Should You feel I crossed the line just tell me.

@Kletian999: Roger roger! Thanks for the input. I was having trouble communicating between two swf files so I was happy with whatever I got, also I haven't yet found a suitable button background (current buttons are just temporary).

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    After losing a hard battle: the town view was "shifted" showing the Deep Forrest to the left (1380 total exp) while Buttersville was cut off: a bug?

Nevermind, apparently there is screen panning and I just discovered it.
    Wait till You discover the sun! :]
    And yeah - moving mouse around the edges while in battle moves the screen - will have to get that fixed, not only can You end up in different place after a battle, but it's also eating resources.

Thanks for testing <3

Going back to an older comment, the
    XXX
    ZOOO

single matching. Yes Puzzle quest might do it that way, but I'm pretty sure Bejeweled doesn't. Ultimately it's your decision as the developer, you can make it work either way, just know that this particular tester and his wife were annoyed when it happened .

I also think there should be a cap on miss chance, seeing -30% chance to hit is just demoralizing. So far, it's been extremely rare outside of easy mode to actually make a Str-Arm>1 attack.
    Last edited by Kletian999; 06-03-2013 at 01:15 PM.

When Strongderp breaks my armor with Exertion, it says I did it.

Wow! I'm in the game too! That's a great honor! However, I need to get some more XP and loot to train with myself...

PS - Loved the "Fus Ro Dah"!

Not even you're up to your own standards, Aleo
    By the way what are the xp and coins for?

Late night update:
    - following K_B's advise the enemy is now getting his points only AFTER You are given Yours, instead right after the move - if You are one move from death You can win with last epic move.
    - leveling system (well the very basics of it)
    - new buttons (some are missing text, how do You like them?)
    - You now CAN train with Aleo... or can You?
    - pretty sure I managed to fix two more things following peoples advises but I am too tired to thin O_o
    Last edited by Rensei; 06-04-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Are you sure that's what Puzzle Quest did? Maybe we played different versions. (I haven't played non-Puzzle Quest Bejeweled games either)

In the version of Puzzle Quest I played, both the Xs and the Os (more generally, all the matches on the board) would clear at the same time. The gems fall only after everything possible is cleared (possibly creating more matches and causing this process to repeat).

Yeah, I never played puzzle quest, so I was giving Rensei the benefit of the doubt.

Last version is pretty awesome - and not just because there's my name in it ^^
    Couple of quick bugs : buttons to confirm/close after going to Stoicmom or Aleo show no text (for me at least). After going to Aleo and going back to the mansion, the Background of the Aleo button dissapears which looks a bit weird.

Regarding the simultaneousness of combos debate, I haven't been playing PQ in ages so I can't talk about that, but my general sense of match3s in general is that combos are usually simultaneous (as Nutshell describes it). That would feel more natural to me. I'm fine with the current system though, now that we have Ls and Ts.

Also, taking hints for PQ, how about having the different "attacks" selectable instead of being activated automatically when the counter reaches 10 ? Timing attacks is a big part of the strategy in PQ, AFAIR. That would also solve the frustration most have encountered of a random combo making you do a break attack with all your EX and WP while you were going for a STR attack. Each button could glow when the counter reaches 10, and the player can click it to launch the attack. Come to think of it, it would actually be relevant only for STR and ARM attacks and the Snipe ; the rest can safely stay as it is.

I just watched a video of Puzzle Quest gameplay - I was so sure I remembered it correctly, but it really IS taking them all down at once My apologies.

This is bad for me. On one hand I want it to be as enjoyable as possible, make Mr & Mrs Kletian (and InfiNut and Butters) happy and with the new system I could do it, on the other I was sure the board of Puzzle Quest was bigger, while it is also 8x8, with my 6 kinds of "gems" compared to their 7 we are looking at some possibly unending combos - You guys think it's worth giving it a shot? Come to think of it that WOULD promote smart play.

About launching attacks - it would certainly be less random, but I didn't want to copy the whole PQ system. Also - wouldn't that make everybody just amass huge amounts of AB then finish the enemy in one blow?

EDIT: I was actually considering it because that's the way PQ does it and sometimes, when a combo is long enough You get more than 19 points of one color resulting with 11/10 or something. Right now it just stays there until You get even the smallest amount of the color again (and its fine with me - makes this certain color temporarily more valuable, but with the activation it would be more natural - thoughts?).

The buttons for message confirmation haven o text on them yet, Aleo is <SPOILER!> running away with Your gold </SPOILER!> so I needed to disable the option to visit him again. It's a quick and dirty solution - I agree :]

Again - thanks a lot for input and wonderful ideas.
    Last edited by Rensei; 06-04-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    ...wouldn't that make everybody just amass huge amounts of AB then finish the enemy in one blow?
    Hmmm, its true that the ARM/STR/WP/EX/AB (henceforth dubbed "ASWEA", or RASWEA if we add the Rank up front) system is a little "too simple" when in duel mode (1-vs-1). Dunno how this can be compensated.

Aleo is <SPOILER!> $&%*&^*&$^&%#&*^$^ </SPOILER!> so I needed to disable the option to visit him again.
    Whaaaaa?!? Come on Rens, having all those visits was such an... enriching experience for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    (henceforth dubbed "ASWEA", or RASWEA if we add the Rank up front)
    How about we add the R last? I-SWEAR the biggest threat to SPECIAL.

How about we add the R last? I-SWEAR the biggest threat to SPECIAL.
    Cooler, and honorable sounding Not like the show-off name "special" (its the fallout system, eh?)

EDIT: On second thought, swear=curse too (apart from taking a vow). So, it's a double-edged name
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 06-04-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Re: launching attacks, I was thinking to make it "cap" at 1 ready attack - any points collected with an attack ready is wasted, so you can't just stack attacks and then unleash them all at once.
    Another game you can look at for inspiration besides PQ is Tiny Token Empires, which was also pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Butters; 06-04-2013 at 05:15 AM.

The rebalance of appearances is greatly appreciated. It feels "right" that Exertion is now limiting whether I make a multipoint hit instead of willpower. Armor still seems low enough that you never get more than 2 points in a game, I don't know exactly what your goal is there.

Wasted snipes are way down, but now it seems snipes are underpowered. Spending 1 will for 1 damage is usually looked down upon, and even if not, that's a Bowmaster's job, not a Skystriker! I think it'd be cool if the Skystriker snipe made the enemy not gain points that turn, than you could make a Siege archer character that takes 1 str and 1 break with her special. Maybe the bowmaster could stay 1 point normally, but get a reduced form of puncture effect on it (4 break= extra 1 damage). Even Strongarm could do something cool with his snipe, taking away armor and partial point from whatever bank is highest to simulate having to regain your position.

I don't think the higher level enemies should start with (that much) exertion. Previously, Derp vader killed you when he got 3 Reds unless you could miraculously land 2 4 point breaks and a series of red hits, or miraculously get lots of snipes without wasting will on exerted misses will he raised anything but Red. Now KB can either kill you with 2 Reds, or he gets 2 Greys and you have zero armor ensuring you'll never get his str low enough to avoid a oneshot.

As to whether "attacks" should be activated- I definitely would prefer the ability to not make wasted Strs or get a but more exert before making a break in some form. This game doesn't let you wait too long between making Break and Str attacks if you want to live and sometimes you use all the break icons you have available until you make other matches. I certainly would hate to lose out on a massive windfall combo- maybe storing more than 1 attack worth could cost more (10,15,20) or the storage cap was 30 instead of 19..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast