Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: An appeal (of one who missed the KS backing)

Question An appeal (of one who missed the KS backing)

Dear Stoic,

In the past three months, after the public release of TBSF, I have become a fan of the game and count myself among the fascinated members of its community.

Unfortunately (or unforgivably), I failed to participate in the Kickstarter backing of the game, and now I find myself miserably regretting it. I am sure there are many other players who share my sentiments.

What I would like to probe into, is your thoughts on opening a "Donations" section in your store, similar to what is being done for other KS-backed games. There, those who didn't make it to KS, but still want to actively support the game, can "donate" small amounts (e.g. up to $50) that would give them access to the corresponding KS-pledges rewards.

Let me make it clear that I am referring only to the easy-to-deliver digital "gifts": game-copy, digital-artbook, soundtrack, wallpapers and... the custom crests. The material "gifts" are much harder to order/manage/deliver, so no question about them here.

Reasons NOT to do such a thing:
    (1) It's bothersome: more work, more financial complications etc.
    (2) It's unethical: the point was backing the game up front
    (3) It's stressing: more "commitment" means setting (even) higher standards to the game
    (4) It's needless: what I'm asking will eventually become openly available
    (5) It's greedy: requesting more more and more, as if the 700% wasn't enough

Reasons to DO such a thing:
    (1) You'll make me happier
    (2) You'll figure out the actual picture of how many new fans you've earned with your hard work!
    (3) You'll get even more "momentum" to keep you going for more epicness (Saga #2, #3,... #4???)
    (4) ... come on non-KS-community, chime in!

Note-to-self: Hey, wait, why did I make the "not-to" list longer ?

I understand that your workload is big (huge?), and that what I'm requesting will surely become available at your store (e.g. with KS-backers priority -- referring to the crests here). In this case, I'll just have to wait.

I apologize in advance if this proposal of mine (and a potentially negative response from your part) puts you in an awkward place. Anyway, that's how I feel like, and I thought I ought to ask, for myself as well as for others like me.

Thank you for listening. Keep up the hard work and be sure it's keeping us dazzled!

Kind regards,

Aleonymous

While the thought of making own crest is cool; point "not 2" is probably the strongest. People who paid for the privilege might take offense- but I'd suppose you'd need to ask a green-name about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    People who paid for the privilege might take offense- but I'd suppose you'd need to ask a green-name about that.
    Can't say for sure, but I surely wouldn't mind (had I been a "green-name"). It's for the single-player game after all, so it's not like they'll get to show-off on us "grey-names" about it. Why would I care what does anybody do with their things at their home/computer?

Also, I've talked to backers who didn't pay for the crest-option, but now they would surely "upgrade" if given an option.

EDIT: In my opinion, if was a green-backer, I'd say that the combination of not#1 and not#3 would be my reason of being bugged: "I paid for this game to be delivered at time T, and now you're consuming the devs time making it delivered at time T+dt."
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-31-2013 at 06:21 AM.

The moment Factions went live on Steam, it spawned a number of "let's play..." videos and streams, and a very common reaction was "wow! this is a cool game, I wish I knew about it earlier, wish I supported it". It was exactly the same with me.

I don't really follow the gaming industry news so I sort of missed the whole kickstarter business, along with few very cool projects. Now I am gray and missing out on the goodies.

I DO want the goodies Y_Y

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Wow, thanks a lot for the sentiments of wanting to support the project and getting goodies. While the Chapter 1 reward gates are now closed we'll be *thinking about opening them again for Chapter 2. We've had a really great time communicating with the backers for such things as the godstones and it's helped fuel the fiction quite a bit, so we'd love to do it again for the next part of the Saga. Also the next Chapter would have more options for more goodies now that we simply have more content. I'd love to have a tier for a cloth map.

Now, that being said, we will be opening up pre-orders before we ship so that's probably the next opportunity to support the project.

Once again, thanks a lot for the sentiments, we really do appreciate all of you. We read some other Kickstarter updates and the comments are often times pretty negative. Stoic has had a far different experience with our supporters.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    We also have an online store where we sell the remaining art prints and posters from Kickstarter. We will be adding more things to the store when we get closer to launch:

https://store.stoicstudio.com/

Thanks for your prompt response Stoic!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    While the Chapter 1 reward gates are now closed we'll be *thinking about opening them again for Chapter 2.

... we will be opening up pre-orders before we ship so that's probably the next opportunity to support the project.
    **sullen face** OK then... I guess I'll have to wait for Chapter 2 then...

Now seriously, it's totally understandable, and diplomatically answered at that . I'll just pretend I didn't see that "*" before the "thinking", so that I'm not too surprised to wake up one day and see the goody news out!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    We also have an online store where we sell the remaining art prints and posters from Kickstarter. We will be adding more things to the store when we get closer to launch:https://store.stoicstudio.com/
    Roger that I'll keep a close eye out. Will the "digital" stuff also appear there?

I'm also one of the ones that missed out on the original kickstarter, but would have loved to back it. I know the in-game stuff is out of the question at this point (understandably), but I'm really hoping that when the game goes on sale there is a package that comes with the soundtrack and digital art book like on kickstarter. I'd jump at the opportunity to get that. I honestly wouldn't mind paying slightly more than the kickstarter people so they didn't feel slighted either.