Thread: A new global chat.

A new global chat.

Personally, the current global chat is very lacking. It works and all. I find people having conversations, but only seeing some of their chat. Possibly due to server lag.

It'd be really nice if you'd change it a bit.

♫ It needs to be a bit more encompassing (more messages shown - and/or - don't make it jump to the newest message when scrolled up).

♫ Rodereve and I were talking about how it'd be nice to have the ability to participate in global chat while in battle. Some games, you can talk freely - when not playing a top tier player; when you don't have to concentrate as much. I often find myself helping new players with questions and then finding a game and am no longer able to participate. I find that Rodereve, Stoicmom, Glraven, Butters, and Ojustme (and many other player's names I can't remember off the top-of-my-head) often help new players only to get cut-off by game finding.

♫ Have all of the global chat available after a game (if the above is or is not instituted). So when cut off from a conversation due to finding a battle, you can come back to the main screen and scroll up to see what you've missed and new such topics, et cetera. A type of back-logged messages might work well here, especially if you can sort easily.

♫ A mute button would be nice after all of the above. And a report too, but I can see that being way off on the priority list, and it damned well better be. ^_- SP is the most important thing.
    Last edited by AnotherPersona; 06-01-2013 at 09:18 PM.

One of the drawbacks of having global chat available in battle is that it can turn into chat spam distraction, well if there is a lot of chat going on. This happened during the public release of factions when it launched in Feb. However, the population we have now is close to what it was like during Open beta, when it was a good idea to have global chat accessible in battle.

The best solution is to probably be able to switch global chat on/off or join/leave global chat, at the player's discretion.

I like the suggestions above. Thanks for posting! It's great we can get ideas for improvements on this .

Really nice suggestions! Also another possible way to continue a conversation even after being interrupted by match finding, is implement chat whispers receive and sent while in-game.

e.g. /w AnotherPersona whats up! lol

Aye, whispers are an excellent idea, especially when you have a newb who really enjoys the game, but feels lost. I'd always be willing to help. I have lost interest in many games due to a poor community/lack of simple assistance. Sometimes you don't want to spend 10 to 60 minutes researching things when someone can sum up your question in a few sentences. Ya knows? Good point, Rod.

I agree. Chat needs some sort of overhauling, or at least added features.

Might I also suggest the "chat rooms" feature, even though it sounds kinda old-school (compared to that "chat whispers" whom I've never heard of! It's something like private-messages, like steam-chatting, but in-game?). I'm sure people who frequent PvP games with large player-pool will have better suggestions...

Chat Rooms: There would be some standard, fixed ones, like "Global", "Matchmaker", the "Forum" one etc. Also, players can create public/private temporary chat rooms, or participate in existing ones. There's some administering to the visibility/accessibility on those rooms, but I guess it's not that difficult to do.

The ones I'd like the most is ability to resize the chat window, global chat pane in battle to switch between battle chat and global (and even if You don't view it it is updated after the battle is done) and the no auto scroll option, when You are holding the scroll button (I imagine this would be the easiest to code in, when the chat box is updated, check if the user is holding the scroll - don't scroll down if he is, else scroll to the bottom).

The chat seems empty mostly due to many people not being able to participate in it while setting up their team or battling.

add report and ignore options. add tags like "in battle" or what not. and add privacy option.

They could also add multiple tabs under the chatbox, so everything is in one chat, but you can filter out general-only, match-only, and possibly eventually faction-only or guild-only chat if you want to. I know chat might not be their priority, but it does add a more social aspect as well as making the game feel more lively.

Hmm I wonder what kind of chat enhancements they'll have to make for 2v2...then again playing 2v2 without being able to speak to your team mate might be interesting as well.

:O what?? there's going to be 2v2?

2v2 sounds... boring. Unless it's two teams... mwa a a a.. ^^

itll make games much much longer with a lot of downtime between your own moves, unless they gave each person 3 units (half a current team) so itd still be 6units vs 6 units. So 1 varl+1raider+1archer. if they didnt do that restriction then you can have a 4raider team. i would be up for 2v2

I second this chat idea.