Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Thoughts about long-term metagame for Factions : Hero units, Items, Events ..?

A possible way to integrate "hero units" without affecting the game greatly would be just to make "Hero unit" as a title/rank or have non-gameplay effects. Instead of making renown the only thing to grind for and look forward to in this game, there should be something else you can earn, at least concurrently.

Another statistic for each unit called Heroism (or Valor). You can't buy heroism, you have to actually use that specific unit in battle to level it up its own Heroism stat (sort of like each unit has its own EXP/levels). The Heroism stat is based on Days in Service, Battles involved in, and Kills (so that you have a reason to keep using units after they've gotten 30 kills).

Heroism rank 0

- default rank for every unit
    Heroism rank 1
    - requires 30 days of service, 30 battles, 50 kills
    - Benefit: Gain +1 renown in every battle it survives to the end
    Heroism rank 2
    - requires 60 days of service, 75 battles, 100 kills
    - Benefit: Gains +2 renown in every battle it survives to the end
    - Benefit: Unlocks certain colors/costumes
    Heroism rank 3
    - requires 90 days of service, 150 battles, 300 kills
    - Benefit: Gains +3 renown in every battle it survives to the end
    - Benefit: Unlocks custom title (ie your varl is renamed ____ the Conqueror, etc.)
    Heroism rank 4
    -requires 120 days of service, 300 battles, 500 kills, 200 kills of enemy hero units
    -Benefit: Unlocks the title "_____ the Hero Slayer"
    -Benefit: Gains +1 renown for every enemy hero unit it kills in battle

It doesnt give them an actual gameplay advantage, and once you get to the really high numbers of battles/kills, you probably will have tons of renown earned already. This is just a mechanic to get people to keep playing or always have a goal even when theyve unlocked all the units and don't need renown anymore.
    Last edited by roder; 06-24-2013 at 06:11 PM.

That's a pretty cool idea, rodereve
    Titles for units is something I would definitely enjoy. Not sure I'd care about the renown bonuses but why not.
    Some strictly cosmetic items (maybe taken from what has been done for Ep 1 as this would not warrant specific dev time) that you could unlock with "heroism points" would also be really cool, adding to the "flair" aspect.
    I'm in complete agreement that such a layer of cosmetic progression which does not compromises gameplay in any way is a good solution. It's safe for the balance of Factions while adding another "compulsion loop" - something for people to come back and play more even after unlocking everything (which in itself should take a good amount of time).

Just to put my two cents' worth here - there can be a lot of additional stuff as mentioned in this topic, but for competitive play (or competitive portion of the game) as much of it as possible should be avoided cause balance is a very fragile thing. This way I agree with Butters that cosmetic bonuses are the most preferable and also quite easy to implement if compared to other ideas.

If we are thinking about the future of the game and what should it be - it really needs to be decided whether the game is an e-sport or a casual office thingy; you can't actually merge both into one successful project.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

More colours! Id like to be able to have a set uniform for the whole team Like you can do in say Warhammer 40k tabletop game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    More colours! Id like to be able to have a set uniform for the whole team Like you can do in say Warhammer 40k tabletop game.
    Yeah, same color sets for every unit would definitely get my attention.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3