Thread: Different class limit options for friendly matches ?

Different class limit options for friendly matches ?

Thinking about the options for the future of Factions we have been talking about lately...
    The current state of the meta-game feels like all the viable builds have been tried, which is sad and probably not unrelated to the fact that we see more and more of the veteran players less and less in Strand. It is probably not the case, and I'd be delighted to see what other new strategies the community can come up with ; but at this point it's not really happening.
    So, when thinking about what bone Stoic could throw our way to keep things fresh while waiting for Saga without spending much (preferably any) dev time on Factions, I came back to the idea of giving players the option to set their own class limits when in friend matches. I would very much like to see what strategies could look like with crazy teams like 3, 4 Varls (or even more !), etc. We can already set limits tighter than the existing ones (you can decide to make matches with rules like "no varl", "1 of each", "max 1 archer", etc) but there is no way to try things out on the other end of the spectrum. Of course, that would end in completely different and possibly out of whack balances for each rule set, but it's not something you'd want to balance for anyway ; it's just leaving the door open for people to fool around with weird teams and see what the game looks like there.
    The implementation could be relatively simple - add a configuration screen accessible from the friend lobby where you can change each unit limit. An even simpler fix is a toggle to remove all class limitations, and players decide on their rules through chat and self-imposed limitations (that'd be enough I think).
    I am aware this means dev time on Factions, which is not really on the table right now, but it's possibly the best ratio of amount of work vs novelty introduced that I can think of.

By the way, would you guys enjoy a tournament with a new team building ruleset ? If I'm not alone in the idea that the meta is a bit stale at the moment, it might be more interesting to switch things up a bit for the next Vigrid. Maybe add a limit of two to each advanced class, like some people where calling for a couple of months ago ?

I always thought that Friend Mode should be more of a "Sandbox"
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

That would be cool indeed. Apart from the "crazy" builds (all-Varl, six archers etc), I think the "one-of-each" is a very good proposal.

Unfortunately, the build-setup (@PGs) seems to be one-design (i.e. a single module, independent of match-type), so, yeah, it'd probably take dev-time to make it customizable, for friend mode. Lets wait and hear from Stoic; perhaps its not that hard-to-do

Indeed Aleo, I did not think of how to link the friend match with free teambuilding to the PG. There certainly needs to be something added there to make this work (and make sure that players with "illegal" teams cannot make their way into normal play !)

I am all for this. It'd be fun to run multiple Varls or.. 6 archers! It wouldn't be a bad idea for the next Vigrid to be 2/2/2. Wonder if we'll see some of this instituted after SP comes out.

That's cool! That's really awesome. For me the statement of Butters is true. Idea-wise i feel like there's not many new builds for me. There is a great challenge in honing skills with current ones or trying to make some weird ideas work but it's not very amusing when there's nothing new idea-wise to fool around with. Lately i've been playing rarely and only 3 SS build just because mind games kind of compensate for the lack of new things. But this feature is really nice. I'm totally for it!
    Last edited by ojustme; 06-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.