View Poll Results: I became a Kickstarter backer because of the...

Voters
1095. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vikings!

438 40.00%
  • art style / animations

796 72.69%
  • RPG elements

611 55.80%
  • premise of the story / mature game

579 52.88%
  • music (Austin Wintory)

181 16.53%
  • trailer / narrators voice

134 12.24%
  • enthusiastic / skilled developers

364 33.24%
  • other

75 6.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I became a Kickstarter backer the moment I saw this frame...

I became a Kickstarter backer the moment...

I became a Kickstarter backer the moment I saw this frame from the original video.

Primarily as it reminds me of the truly EPIC PS1 game that is Vandal Hearts! From the character progression to the spell animations and heart pounding/heart breaking critical final strikes that win/loose you hour long battles.

Did this trigger thoughts of classic gaming for anyone else? Anyone remember Vandal Hearts here?

What was your "I'm going to back this project even if it kills me" moment?
    Last edited by Forgot69; 05-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.

I became a Kickstarter when I saw the art.

It also did help that I LOVE Vikings and tactical turnbased RPGs, Tactics Ogre and Disgaea to name a couple.

I became aware of TBS from Cracked. The writer described the game as a "...tactical strategy set in a post-apocalyptic Viking world," which piqued my interest.

That definitely primed me, but the true moment was seeing the 2D viking mending cloth, as the voice-over says the gods are dead. That Stoic isn't making a 3D interactive movie, like Call of Duty 12 or Halo 37 really appealed to me.

I think the tipping point for me was the sentence "The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy." in the pitch. Art, story, strategy? Sign me up! It sounded like exactly the kind of game I wanted. The presentation was great, really getting the idea of the game across.

I became a backer after I saw that video posted on a board somewhere, I love tactical strategy games, post(or is it pre?) apocalyptic settings, and mythology. After seeing that the combat was going to be like Final Fantasy Tactics, I knew I couldn't pass it up.

What made you decide to fund the Banner Saga?

The art design and landscapes did it for me. The idea of non-stereotypical Norse-mythology game was also really appealing. I love the time period and the history, but not more Loki-Odin-Baldur stories. That, and a lack of DRM.

What about you? As backers, was it one of the reward options, or did you fund it for other reasons?
    Last edited by Postal; 04-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes_dePayens View Post
    I became a backer after I saw that video posted on a board somewhere, I love tactical strategy games, post(or is it pre?) apocalyptic settings, and mythology. After seeing that the combat was going to be like Final Fantasy Tactics, I knew I couldn't pass it up.
    Very similar here. Although I stumbled upon Banner Saga (along with Wasteland 2 and FTL :P) on kickstarter while reading an article about Double Fine Adventure. Now I am glad that I could be a part of this project. I think it is going in a very good direction with focus on art of making a great game, art that I think has been lost in recent years.

I supported cause I liked the art and the high level description of the gameplay.

What is not to like about it?

Like @CollectsWelfare I became aware of this project through cracked.com and, honestly, that is nothing i didn't like about it. Stratergic-RPG, viking mythology and beautifully drawn 2D.
    Honestly, if it was not 2D I wouldn't be so excited about it. It's hard to make a good 3D game. I kept from backing another game that had some nice premises because they were making it 3D and it looked shitty. On the other hand, having nice graphics is not enough, so I prefer having 2D (that can look nice with less investment) and having them investing more on the gameplay and the plot than on anything else. On top of that, hand-drawn 2D make it look even more like a piece of art.

The biggest reason I became a backer was because of The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and Let's Play The Oregon Trail.
    Sometimes laughter is the only weapon we have.

Like others have said, I first caught wind of this on Cracked.com in an article about recently successful kickstarter projects. Right off the bat the animation just jumped out at me, it looked so beautiful and reminded me so much of Don Bluth's work. Then the developers did a great job explaining what exactly they wanted to do and the different elements they were trying to bring together for this game, I just had to jump on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    I think the tipping point for me was the sentence "The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy." in the pitch. Art, story, strategy? Sign me up! It sounded like exactly the kind of game I wanted.
    i agree with you completely. i was sold when i read "classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding", "mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing" and "we won't be tied to publishers telling us to change the giants to orcs or dumbing the story down for children". i really hope the developers stay true to these principles.

i've played games like ff tactics adv and they're fun. so combined with interesting characters and story-changing choices sounded even better.

to be honest i also have to say i don't particularly care about vikings, as any other european culture would have done it for me aswell though perhaps i shouldn't be saying this where the viking loving hordes might read it.

Like everyone else I was attracted by the 2D post-apocalyptic viking strategy game description at first. And Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite movies so that certainly helped. But I think what actually made me put my money down was the chance to design my own crest and have it in the actual game. There is just something so cool about that.

I'm another one that first became aware of the kickstarter fund from the cracked.com article about it. I then checked out the promo video and the profiles of the Stoic guys, and that was it.

I love the idea of a Viking inspired FF Tactics, but the real reason I became a backer was due to the classic 1940s style animation. 2D cel animation is becoming a dying art, and I wanted to support it where I could

Like others, I was attracted to the Kickstarter page by that Cracked description of the game. The whole concept appealed to me but I found myself just staring at the art work and wondering why I found it so compelling and familiar. Then someone said "Sleeping Beauty" and it all made sense. My favorite of the Disney classics, I loved that animation.

Seeing the art and the early gameplay from the vids, absolutely sold me as soon as I heard "The gods are dead, this is not the problem. The problem is that everyone knows it."

I became a backer after seeing the art design. It just looks fantastic

I'm a huge fan of games like X-Com and Final Fantasy Tactics, so as soon as I saw that it was a turn-based strategy game I was doomed

For me, it was the passion of the creators & the unique beauty o' the art that totally pushed me over the edge.

I saw the link somewhere, but the video got me. I believed them when they said they wanted to do it right. It's got to be good.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast