Thread: And now, after RTX...SAGA STUFF!

And now, after RTX...SAGA STUFF!

Well...hard for me to choose words for what to say. The trip down to Austin was simply a blast. I got to meet and greet Stoic and help out at the stall. I got to see a cool convention and get swag (both stoic and non-stoic stuff). I got treated to the best pizza and stuff I've ever put in my mouth (and belly).

...and I got to try about 1-2 hours of the Saga single player.

Now...I don't mean to over-hype the game, but let me put it this way, I have no idea if anyone could have had higher expectations than me (maybe, who knows), but for someone who has been anticipating this title since KS, who put in 700+ hours in the Factions (mp), and who's just so emotionally invested in the project to have become a mod (and even gone thousands of miles across the Pacific)...the 1-2 hours I played lived up to all that. It did NOT disappoint.

In short. The game was good. For me, at least, it was that good (and it looks like it'll be that good) with where they're taking it.

(Well, truth be told, I wouldn't naturally have gone across the pacific and take on those costs if I wasn't doing so anyway, but you get the point).

Now of course I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so down below I'm going to make some general comments about what I did like, which aren't spoilers.
    Last edited by raven2134; 07-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.

1. ART

Could the art be any MORE gorgeous? No seriously, it was breath-taking eye-melting stuff. Like that scene in Indiana Jones were they're not supposed to look at the ark or they'll die from the majesty. But the difference is you can stare at Saga as much as you like.

The travel scenes look really good in the game. They've previewed it in older posts and updates and BY THE POWER OF THOR. The scenery is just to die for. Picture the KS landscapes scrolling along. Imagine the scenery going by while zoomed out, then zooming in when you hit a place for the story to get into something. WOW. And you know what's even better? Hiding the UI turns it all into a film, a movie.

They used the proving ground character art for conversations too. So the characters switch around when they talk in a close up scene, and you really get into it. (The tiny effects like the gust on the clothes and the blinking and stuff really make the conversations alive).

2. BATTLE, AI, DIFFICULTY

Ok, so they have this new system in place to make the fighting cool. I can't remember if he's talked about it, but it's a war system. Basically you make choices when you approach battles and this affects the entirety for the caravan.

Two things. The way the fights are set even without the balancing was quite fun. Fighting against a larger number of dredge was cool (I was always outnumbered). Secondly, Stoic came through on how they did waves, but this is up to the player's choice. The net effect? Yes you can choose how hard you want to go into the fights. And yes, based on what Arnie discussed, you will get rewarded, but at a risk.

The great thing about it was, it was a good mix of the artificial difficulty, and also of the player set difficulty. It was challenging because of the things I wanted to do, and how I wanted to do it. Not because Stoic made it OP or put in some general button to fix it like that.

In general it looks to me like if they do put in buttons or options to make the game easier, it's to promote an experience that really leans to the story, rather than make the game easier in general. They look to be on a great approach with this one.

Interesting thing is, there look to be tons of ways to make the single player more enjoyable as well. Coincidentally, the horn wasn't hooked up when I was playing, and the abilities weren't working quite right, but you know what, those look to be some cool possible conditions to go into a battle and play with. They easily make what looks to be an easy fight something tough to get out off.

3. Story, CHOICES

Alex looks to have done a great job here. I missed some of the intro cos they hadn't had it up yet, but the story felt easy to get into and go along with in general, while at the same time, they hinted at deeper history and context for the narrative to really delve deeper.

Also, it was wonderful that a lot of the characters had some real flavor in terms of personality. You get this from their dialogue, which is rich and is also complemented by some written gestures or cues. The way you react to them when choices pop up also is really deep. They really cue what the other characters seem to be like (ie wow that guy is pretty haughty, or hey this guy is helpful). At the same time, it doesn't give everything away, so you're not quite sure if that's all there is to them.

And GOSH...CHOICES. I think the game will have a good balance of keeping you busy, and laying things back for you to see what happens or enjoy what's going on in front of you (travel). You're making choices left and right and they do have an impact on what happens. Yea the guys at Stoic keep saying it. When you actually start doing it, it just sucks you in. You're invested now, "I need to see what this is gonna mean for me now, cos I chose it."

You are always thinking of what consequences the choices you've made will be, and while you might have some idea of what it could lead to, you're never sure if something is obviously good, or obviously bad. This generally means you CAN play the game how you feel or how you think the character feels, and it comes off pretty natural. In addition, I can already feel it would make the game great to play through again, just because you would want to see "Oh okay, so if I chose this instead that's what would've happened."

What's more, it's really cool that you see some choices have immediate effects. While others take a while to play into, so there's always something going on. And worry not, times are stormy, there seem to be fights aplenty.

Well...fanboi rant over for now. I was simply happy with what I saw. Looking forward to when it's all there and shipped.
    Last edited by raven2134; 07-07-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks for the teaser review raven! You got us drooling...

1. ART -- Since "seeing is believing", ahem, is there any chance of us getting a glimpse of that footage showcased at RTX?

2. BATTLE, AI, DIFFICULTY -- So, you saw new "ally" units (apart from Dredge)? Is the AI anywhere close to the pre-Saga Factions, or should we just forget that? Dredge don't have souls; how would they fuel the horn

3. STORY, CHOICES -- That was the most interesting thing for me, and the core of the game. I so hope it's immersing and re-playable

Question about the choices mechanic. Is there a time limit on making choices, or can we sit and ponder as long as we'd like?
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

You can ponder as long as you like . . .

Nice insights Raven, thanks!

I'm excited for the single player game // I have to admit I haven't been playing much of factions tho lately...

Everybody, be sure to check the chat-log of [8-July @ 18h00-20h00 GMT]. More little "insights" there too

So awesome. I am now even more stoked. Cannot wait to play with the hardest difficulty/choices, very curious as to how the AI will stack up.