Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Animation process! [Kickstarter Update #36]

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Animation process! [Kickstarter Update #36]

Check out the latest Kickstarter update, complete with reams of images, videos, and never-before-seen characters!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...a/posts/547567

Really enjoyed reading about the animation process Love that sort of thing.

Can't wait for the next kickstarter update! Means 1 step closer to playing the game!

Great update! I really enjoyed it. It looks like Wardog is going to get some serious headache from headbutting .

Kickass kickstarter update. I get giddy after each one XD

I figured that this kind of animation would be difficult, but I never imagined in how many ways! Frankly, I was afraid that you three guys needed to do ALL that stuff... Thankfully, PowerHouse came in da hauz, and everything turned out soooo swell!

So, how many frames-per-character do you estimate to have "drawn"? (EDIT -- OK, twas about 1000 frames, just saw it in the wardog animation caption)

Come to think about it, ultra-detailed games (like Bethesda's etc) "just" need build the 3D models, skeletons and textures, and then "everything" is much simpler, as animation is done by computers or automated-libraries etc. I was wondering if 2D animation can be done from abstracting and projecting a 3D one, onto the desired POV. Sure there's a lot of polishing and re-drawing to be done, but mayhaps this technique can be useful when angle's change or for structuring complicated scenes...

Finally, thanks about the tips on the Hunter and the Wardog -- a headbutt ability ?!? Awesome I was sure he had that hard-rock Black-Sabbath style going
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-25-2013 at 06:41 AM.

I'm not even done reading and I'm geeking out so hard!
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

aguy with an axe and a bow. Curious...

And a ghost unit!
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

You do crazy good work with your kickstarter updates. Really really good, insightful explanations and nice video footage. Loving the hunter vid.

Hunter -- OK, the bow is absolutely fine, and perhaps it should be the main hunter weapon. But, where does the axe come from? I'd expect something like hunting daggers, a short blade or a short-spear. It makes more lore-sense (to me) and it would make him seem less OP (being hybrid melee/ranged) too...

I guess if you think about the Hunter more as a "Woodsman" the axe makes sense. I picture him as a forest-dwelling man who has joined the caravan with the best weapons he has: his hunting bow and trusty axe.
    I don't think we can call him OP until we can see what his skills are with those weapons. I am guessing he has a shorter range than the Archers and lower strength than the more soldierly melee men.
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Quote Originally Posted by StandSure View Post
    I guess if you think about the Hunter more as a "Woodsman" the axe makes sense. I picture him as a forest-dwelling man who has joined the caravan with the best weapons he has: his hunting bow and trusty axe.
    I don't think we can call him OP until we can see what his skills are with those weapons. I am guessing he has a shorter range than the Archers and lower strength than the more soldierly melee men.
    With the "woodsman" picture in mind, it makes sense indeed. I am not sure about his STR, but I think he'll have a smaller ARM since he holds no shield.

hes special ability will be prolly shooting arrow. Kinda neat.

Woo~ or he can be an archer who can attack adjacent units or someone who also has Bloody Flail as ability :-) That actually makes quite a bit of sense, doesn't it? Since he has a bow and an axe :-)

I love that you guys decided to go with traditional animation, and I hope that other projects in the future will also do this.

Frankly, the animation in this show is rather well done. In my opinion, though, this style of animation loses some of the point of 2D animating. It's functional, but not awe-inspiring. Just my two cents.
    I fully agree with this. Modern cartoons that use PC manipulation are nothing special or inspiring to look at. Classic animation can look so spectacular.

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Hunter -- OK, the bow is absolutely fine, and perhaps it should be the main hunter weapon. But, where does the axe come from? I'd expect something like hunting daggers, a short blade or a short-spear. It makes more lore-sense (to me) and it would make him seem less OP (being hybrid melee/ranged) too...
    Aleo: The correct name for this base unit is Landsman, a general term for a man that lives off the land and spends most his time in the forests rather than in cities. Axes come in handy in the woods. One advanced unit of the Landsman is the Hunter. And yes, they have a knife or two under those cloaks.

Wardog ability (head bashing) seams cool, most likely stun right?

18.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #18
    Not exactly, Seraphim. You shall see...
    Of note: Their abilities will be different for Factions than the Saga sometimes. Factions demands more balance where sometimes for the Saga we want a character to be a bit over powered or under powered to fit the story.

The animation update was probably my favorite thing I've ever read in my life. I've always been a huge fan of animation (I'm the 20-something guy that always tries to drag his friends to Pixar movies). There's just something fascinating about the classically animated Disney films and other 2D animation where the contrast between detail on the characters and environments sets up an "atmosphere" that isn't 100% genuinely lifelike, but intentionally "pops" the important and "blurs" the unimportant (off the top of my head Beauty and the Beast comes to mind).

Although I'm a huge fan of animation, I've never worked around it or have been given any sense on how it is created. So in that light, I really really enjoyed this update.

I think, for me personally, the appealing part of animation is partially from a great appreciation of the creation of it, but also in a big part from just enjoying the ability to express "something from nothing". What I specifically mean is that in the same sense as art you would hang on a wall, animators take a blank canvas and provoke human emotion out of it. Even in things like video games, I have such a great appreciation for that. So kudos Stoic, your animation is nailing it for me! What you are doing is really amazing and I hope The Banner Saga ends up being a lighthouse of sorts for the genre, waking the industry up shouting "you can make your games more damned appealing!".

Thanks Powerhouse, Thanks Stoic! You are the Beast to my Belle!... or vice versa (whichever is the compliment)
    Last edited by Slimsy Platypus; 07-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Not exactly, Seraphim. You shall see...
    hum hum if not stun then, well only thing i can think of is if the unit is "bashed" he gets "stun" and accidently swing his sword/axe on a nearby unit. Guessing is the only thing i have since you three wont say a word. But i guess thats marketing right?
    Of note: Their abilities will be different for Factions than the Saga sometimes.
    Yea thats kinda smart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast