Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: TBS Music Score Recording with the Dallas Wind Symphony

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

TBS Music Score Recording with the Dallas Wind Symphony

Thanks to Scott Rosenkrantz for shooting these great photographs!

Preparing the stage for the DWS musicians prior to their arrival:

The ceiling is lowered in front of the organ, to hang up the microphone cables:

The stage is lined with plywood paneling to direct the sounds into the microphones:

Austin Wintory warming up the symphony:

Prepping the recording booth:

Checking the score:

Recording Engineer "Prof." Keith O. Johnson:

Making some last minute notes and modifications:

Playing the 'Serpent':

Jerry Junkin conducting:

Contrabass Clarinet:

Setting up the electronics:

Austin Wintory conducting:

Stoic Guys (Alex, John, Arnie):

Austin Wintory conducting:

Timpani:

Marimba:

10x Timpani!:

Post-recording Symphony shot:

The recording, conducting, and symphony crew:

The official Stoic pipe organ:

Stoic guys (Alex, Arnie, John):

Thanks, everybody!

Check them out on Facebook, also:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5a2d993439
    Last edited by John; 08-19-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Awesome pictures! What is that serpant thing? looks like you could do some damage with that instrument.

Thanks for the great photos! I hope the music is as epic and grand as the Pipe-Organ

WOW! Thanks for sharing

What a nice album . Thanks for the great pics guys

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Thanks for the great photos! I hope the music is as epic and grand as the Pipe-Organ
    The music was a bowel shaking percussion blitzkrieg frontal assault against all that is mediocre. Austin and Jerry conducted at the fore of this force looking for all the world as ancient viking heroes barely keeping it all in check. The plexiglass gave a thin shuddering, warbling veneer between the twin timpani and the rest of the all wind symphony...who in their right mind composes with a need for two timpani players? My poor son held his ears and head in shock through half of it, the other half he slumped outside in the hall fearful that the entire center would burst into acoustic inferno. We would deserve it. We were flying far too close to the sun.
    This entire symphony is all wind and war drum. There was not a single string instrument.
    I honestly have never experienced such an event and i think it came at just the right time because we've been crunching now for months on the Saga and this was a real kick in the ass.
    Dallas Wind Symphony and Austin Wintory, we salute you.
    Last edited by Arnie; 08-06-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    The music was a bowel shaking percussion blitzkrieg frontal assault against all that is mediocre. [...] fearful that the entire center would burst into acoustic inferno. We would deserve it. We were flying far too close to the sun. This entire symphony is all wind and war drum. There was not a single string instrument. [...] this was a real kick in the ass.
    Awesome description Arnie! You actually managed to capture some of the grandness in your text. Truly, I hadn't noticed that there were no string instruments I have a feeling that the game's music is gonna be a genre defining landmark, having people say "Ah, this is like Banner Saga music!" for years to come

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Awesome description Arnie! You actually managed to capture some of the grandness in your text. Truly, I hadn't noticed that there were no string instruments I have a feeling that the game's music is gonna be a genre defining landmark, having people say "Ah, this is like Banner Saga music!" for years to come
    Profoundly generous words ... who knows! We shall see. It's up to others, I am simply trying to do what I think is right for the game! And what a beautiful game it is. I feel so lucky to be a part of it.

Much work still to do, can't rest yet! Back in the forge ...

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Oh and by the way the thing called a "serpent" is actually a waterphone, which you can see he (the percussionist, Roland) is playing with a bow (hence on the score it's referred to as 'bowed waterphone.') It's actually a sound I used VERY cautiously because it is horrendously over-used in reality TV and shows along those lines. It is nonetheless very cool looking.

There IS an actual instrument called a Serpent, which dates from about 1590 and only about 50 or so people proficiently play them in the world today. I've used it 3 times, played by a wonderful musician here in LA named Noah Gladstone: on JOURNEY, on HORN and on short I did called "Vessel."

Side note: Noah is performing on BANNER SAGA too, this time playing a very cool instrument called a Bukkehorn

Austin,

I was wondering if the music already in Factions (about 3-4 themes, if I'm not mistaken) is all-digital, or recorded in an "analogue" way, similar (but in a small scale) to this DWS recording.

Thanks!

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Austin,

I was wondering if the music already in Factions (about 3-4 themes, if I'm not mistaken) is all-digital, or recorded in an "analogue" way, similar (but in a small scale) to this DWS recording.

Thanks!
    The music in Factions is 100% sampled, meaning it's straight out of my computer. Zero live recording of any kind. And it's all being replaced by the live recordings. None of that will be in the final game.

I can't wait to hear the results of this ; I can feel my desk shaking already just from seeing all those timpanis and the pipe organ. Purely out of curiosity, what prompted the (as best as I can tell) absence of any string instruments? Were you trying to stick to instruments that would actually have historically been used in that culture, or is it purely a matter of the sound you were trying to achieve?

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by anevilyak View Post
    I can't wait to hear the results of this ; I can feel my desk shaking already just from seeing all those timpanis and the pipe organ. Purely out of curiosity, what prompted the (as best as I can tell) absence of any string instruments? Were you trying to stick to instruments that would actually have historically been used in that culture, or is it purely a matter of the sound you were trying to achieve?
    For clarification, we didn't use the pipe organ. It was just there in the hall. But I didn't write for it in the score. And also, I want most of it to be a surprise of course but I will say, it's not huge bombastic music. The game has an introspective, even at time mournful tone. It's not a big action blitzfest. So the huge percussion battery was actually not used so much for volume as it was WEIGHT. That said, there are a few pretty huge, loud moments

The use of winds-only was not based on any sort of "authentication," especially since 1) the culture in the game is Viking mythology-inspired, but not actual vikings (and not even our Earth / history), and 2) modern winds/brass/percussion wouldn't have been accurate anyway.

It was mainly an intuitive choice, as it always. JOURNEY is essentially all strings and there is equally very little "intellectual" reason why. Just ... felt like it needed to be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Awintory View Post
    The music in Factions is 100% sampled, meaning it's straight out of my computer. Zero live recording of any kind. And it's all being replaced by the live recordings. None of that will be in the final game.
    Thanks for your response, Austin. If the sampled music sounds so good to my ears, I can't start to imagine how the recorded one will!

Wow! You even had George Lucas on percussion. Truly impressive.

I am quite surprised to see a marimba there, very cool instrument! I am going to hazard a guess that you are using it in relation to the Dredge?... In any case, how is it being incorporated, and how many musicians are playing it simultaneously?

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Veringatorix View Post
    I am quite surprised to see a marimba there, very cool instrument! I am going to hazard a guess that you are using it in relation to the Dredge?... In any case, how is it being incorporated, and how many musicians are playing it simultaneously?
    The marimba was used mainly for color. It's never featured prominently. We had 5 percussionist but never more than one playing marimba. But it's subtle. I have other fun surprises for the Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by Awintory View Post
    I have other fun surprises for the Dredge
    I've been curious what the Dredge-related music would sound like ever since I saw their design. Lots of interesting potential there

For some reason, they make me think of this song from Skyward Sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_LJN-dxtc
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

Quote Originally Posted by Guğmundr View Post
    For some reason, they make me think of this song from Skyward Sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_LJN-dxtc
    Lol, Gud This sounds like an "industrialized mambo"!

I'm very excited to hear the full score when the game is released?
    But is a small sample possible before the launch of the game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast