Thread: Is ranked/tourney game still alive?

Is ranked/tourney game still alive?

Hi,

After taking a break from the game for the last 2 months or so, I came back last week just to realize that it seems as if nearly everybody else is taking a break as well...
    In the last week I think I spent more time in the queue than on the battle field. I became 3rd in the tourney with just 3 battles fought and yesterday I left the game without one battle after hanging around in the tourney queue for ~half an hour.
    While waiting in the queue I saw some quick games available but nearly no ranked one and none at level 12. So, I wonder if the game is slowly drifting off, which would be a shame, since it is still really great (if you are able to find an opponent...) or if I am just in the wrong time zone (Central Europe).

Best,
    Bloodaddict

ps: Not to mention that the Vigrid Tournament is still not finished after months...

My drift is that, there are just really not that many level 12 players around. Many have as well decided not to compete in the tourney mainly because the opponent teams in the tourney are really homogenous (not really the right word, just the one that came from a translation site, but you get the drift). As well that when there are few tourney players and you have to wait for a long time, you really lose an interest and thus the tourney players have gradually gone down. Thus it is a lot more fun playing quick matches. It is as well that there are new players, and they still play the betweeners, so for that you have to adjust your team for them.
    I still play the tourney but indeed the competitive around the game is rather dead and will be until the game is out and the mass of players return.
    Last edited by hreinnbeno; 08-15-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Unfortunately, it seems so, Bloodaddict As for your time-zone, I think its the "good-one". I believe America-based players get even lower traffic.

I don't compete in Tourneys, but I keep track of what's going on there and, indeed, there are no more than 10 players getting more 10 matches in any tourney. As hreinnbeno pointed out, there's only a couple of actually strong players competing, who consistently use "extrapolated" builds (e.g. [2WM 3TH] or [2SRM 3BM]) to steamroll over all opposition. My guess is that entering Tourney, you might end up playing against either of those two builds, or against some aspiring new player -- who still doesn't know "how things work".

As for Ranked matches, you might find some power-6 ones (I frequently seek them out myself, trying to reach 1300 elo :rolleyes), but power-12 ones are really rare. Players seeking p12 Ranked would most likely have better chances getting them via-Tourney.

So, my current stance is waiting on p6 quicks, or, engaging available p6 rankeds or p6+ quicks, when I see a banner out.

Fortunately, the inflow of new players seems to have stabilized on low (but non-zero) levels. For instance, I frequently see p1-p5 quick-match banners. When those start to die out, then Strand will be a ghost town, indeed...

This has been my experience as well. After I decided to go from power 6 to 12 it took me quite a while to promote up my team in quick matches. By the time I'd finished levelling ranked matches seemed to have dried up.

As a casual player the 20 renown to enter the tournament is... a little steep if I can't get a few good battles in.

Maybe we should arrange some regular log-in times for those that want to fight rank (sort of like fight club) or merge ranked and tournament.

One thing that doesn't seem to be helping, is that the 'Battle' link to go to ranked fights doesn't seem to work for me, unlike the quickmatch link.

Any ideas?

Wordplay, it is just that ranked and tournament takes time if you have quite different elo as it sorts after elo. So for ranked it takes some time to get matched, most often one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by hreinnbeno View Post
    Wordplay, it is just that ranked and tournament takes time if you have quite different elo as it sorts after elo. So for ranked it takes some time to get matched, most often one minute.
    ^^^ That, and, if the elo-difference is too large it could take even more time. For example a 300 point elo-difference (say 1100-vs-1400), it might take even 3 minutes. So, it might come to pass that, while you are waiting for the Matchmaker to "pair you up", your opponent might be "snatched" by a player just entering the queue that has a closer elo to your opponent's! On the contrary, quick matches just take the team power into account, so if the banner is available, its practically instantaneous.

Also, be warned that Tournament matches also affect your "all time elo" (apart from the "tourney elo") just like Ranked games. Fortunately (for average players like me), the opponents in Tourney have higher elo, so defeats cost me less points! I believe that the Tourney-matchmaker searches only with respect to the "tourney elo" so, the elo-gaps being smaller there, it generally pairs you up faster... when there's opponents around!

Thanks for your replies! Its a shame the traffic is so low in the game at the moment. So lets hope for the time after the release!

I am sure it will pick up dramatically after Saga goes out, perhaps even as much as the first launch (1000+ in-game players!). I am anticipating that it will escalate even more when the devs start dedicating time purely to Factions, adding new content (units, maps) or new features (guilds/clans/factions, town-building, 2v2, "hero" units, "items").

Spent five to ten minutes today sitting in queue on rank 12 - nothing doing. I'll try logging on at some other times too, in order to investigate this a little further.

One rank 6 popped up, but by the time I reset the team, it was gone - either matched with someone else or left.

Agreed, the ELO can't be helping... but mine is not atrocious.

I think there's several problems here - power 12 is fairly difficult to build up to for a casual player, but once you have a fair unit spread your options for matches snowball, and the renown stacks up much faster.

I'm not quite sure what the solution is. Personally I'd still like to play ranked - it made me a better player. Quickmatch is fun, but you can almost always get away with the odd mistake. I play more carelessly I think.

I think the obvious solution is just a bigger database, but we'll have to wait for that. Once we get there, everyone will be able to find a ranked-match at this elo-level, so that every match will be thrilling!

Another solution I've proposed (but won't be followed cuz its a "turn back" ) is to re-unlock ranked matches at ALL --equal-- power levels, say 6-18, or at least 6,9,15,18. That would give more flexibility and help new players keep their six units and renown while they march towards p12. Its not a good practice (they should practice a bit in p6), but p12 being the norm, it would help to populate that power-level faster, and with better players.

I confess that one reason I avoid unfurling a ranked-match banner myself, is that most of the times I get snipped by stronger lurking players who crush me... So, I come down to doing the same thing to generally weaker players Thankfully, after the introduction of this match-available banner system, the problem of being matched w a QM player (while in Ranked) was solved. It was a real bugger to give your best only to be beaten by some stronger player loitering about in QM queue...

Hello friends,
    I took a few months off myself, but yes, the ranked matches seem abandoned and the tourney ones, well, they are unfortunately being dominated by a person who has too much free time on hos hands and infinite appetite to win over and over again. This is really a shame as this keeps other players at bay and personally, I feel discouraged playing with him again ( those 3th 2wm builds or 3sa 2 wm and non-responsive attitude during a match ). And in fact there are almost no other players playing.
    Would be indeed a good idea what Rumil suggested to limit playing with same player to 2 matches max, but of course not at this timing - with so few players online.
    Hopefully sp will bring a strong flow of new players and bring back the veteran ones.

Ranked does seem to be seeing something of a revival lately. Nothing like as popular as quick match, but it is certainly possible to get ranked matches if you want them.

I can't speak for tournament - I'm saving up my renown to buy my Rank 3 set, so I keep out of tournament at the moment.