Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Let's Play: The Banner Saga PAX demo!

OMG I'm so late watching this -.-

It is pure awesome, release demo NOW Just kidding, take your time and make it even more awesome (if that is possible).

EDIT: Go for 1, shout at alette, if the poll is still open. (Don't think axe is fast enough and best case arrow hits and does nothing - worst case it hits alette)

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    I heard that the AI was configured to ignore the Raidmasters "Stone Wall" ability.
    Indeed. Alex mentioned in the forum-chat that some "buffs" are intentionally ignored by the enemy (Dredge), in order to make the fights more fun (easy?) and more lore-friendly. I am guessing that similar behavior will apply to the Rain-of-Arrows (even thought play-testers hinted that the Dredge were able [or lucky?] to avoid ~33% of traps set), Bring-the-Pain and perhaps even Burning-Coals (?).

What troubles me, Lore-wise, is how are the Dredge supposed to re-act to Malice (Provoking)... What can that horny Varl say/do that can outrage the (already outraged) Dredge???

I heard that the AI was configured to ignore the Raidmasters "Stone Wall" ability. It was frustrating when users you enabled "Shield Wall" and then watch the enemy ignore the unit and attack other units instead, more satisfying to be able to outmaneuver the enemy when you use "Shield Wall". I think this is a case where the AI is being made intentionally stupid, which is okay in a single player game where the opponent is often intentionally stronger than you. (compared to the multiplayer where you are supposed to equal strength)
    Thanks for the clarification quartex and Aleonymous! Yes, I can see that this actually makes sense for the single player game.

On a sidenote, if the game isn't going to be voiced, then how much freedom will we have with names for the player characters? Will we be able to name generics?

Shout, Shout! That's what an uptight lumberman would do! He won't get the arrow on the string or may even hit Alette! Or may be slower than by charging - the mace is already mid-air!

I vote for #2. Shoot it!

i can't believe Alette's pretty farmgirl face is going to be squashed like that, and so soon. we barely know her !

c'mon Alex, stop your maniacal genius laughs. is that the way you are going to be teaching people that decisions really have consequences in this game ? it is going to be a caravan of sorrows !

i shouldn't watch the next videos but i'll guess curiosity wins all the time. can't wait to play the finished game, awesome job so far, i'm loving it.
    Last edited by balnoisi; 09-04-2013 at 08:19 PM.

I'm going to go with #3, just because it would be cool to see.

Kind of missed that we shouldn't vote on Youtube but here. (^_^;)

Might be you do count those votes as well, but to restate my choice for the second video: #2 Shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Kind of missed that we shouldn't vote on Youtube but here. (^_^
    Second. And speaking of numbers greater than one but less than three, I'll vote for 2. We know these monsters are at least somewhat vulnerable to arrows, and they make noise when they are hit, so it seems like a great combination of quickest response and reasonably-quick warning.

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #111
    Part 3! A short but important decision to make, and some commentary:

Could we get an estimate on "how long" episode 1 would be? Clearly, if lots of poor decisions are made it would be a rather brief saga, but, roughly, how long would it take (outside the battles)?

Early on in development I heard that one playthrough of "Banner Saga: Chapter 1" might last about 8-10 hours from start to finish. But I have no idea if that's still accurate. Even if it's a shorter game, I think there is a lot of re-playability, given all the choices you have to make.

Darn, I got cold feet. I vote for...

#3 Shoot safely to distract the Dredge

So, maybe this time: Shout a warning!

stop thinking shoot that damn dredge trust in your skills

Just finished reading the article by Mr. Grayson of RPS... I didn't think it would be possible to look forward to the Banner Saga even more than I already was, and yet after reading about all the choices, the fragile alliance between humans and varls, the spoiled goods that were meant (?) as a reward, the characters leaving or dying because of some decision, the weight of leadership...

And now, when I'm asked for a second time to reconsider shooting that arrow, I begin to doubt my initial choice: would a flimsy arrow be enough to distract (let alone stop, though I never counted on that, I merely wanted to throw off the dregde and warn Alette in one go) that hulking mace-yielding enemy? Even if the arrow were to find its target, I wasn't sure to begin with that it'd be enough to achieve its two-fold purpose, to distract and to warn.

And yet, the bow is stretched, precious time has been lost already drawing that arrow from the quiver, I can't afford to hesitate. With a twang, the arrow flies over Alette's head and I pray my reasoning was sound: 3.

2: shout

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    Could we get an estimate on "how long" episode 1 would be? Clearly, if lots of poor decisions are made it would be a rather brief saga, but, roughly, how long would it take (outside the battles)?
    Outside of battles? Really hard to say. The truth is that even if you make bad decisions, the game won't be any shorter, you'll just be doing poorly. It's not very common that you get the "game over", you're more likely to see the story go on with some losses.

2-shout. I have an arrow notched; I can shoot later.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast