Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Let's Play: The Banner Saga PAX demo!

Definitely voting 2. Shoot it! Shoot it again!
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

I say #3, because that seems like a possibly awesome move. Also I want to see some worst-case scenarios.

@Drusain: Also, the Turn-system makes it a possible advantage to be in smaller numbers than the enemy, because it gives you turn-advantage. Especially, if there is no Pillage in Single-Player.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #83
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDread View Post
    I say #3, because that seems like a possibly awesome move. Also I want to see some worst-case scenarios.

@Drusain: Also, the Turn-system makes it a possible advantage to be in smaller numbers than the enemy, because it gives you turn-advantage. Especially, if there is no Pillage in Single-Player.
    This is correct. Now for the record, there IS pillage in single player (just not in the first tutorial fight), but I've been able to win that battle with just Iver and Rook pretty handily due to turn advantage. We are still balancing the game, and we might lower the difficulty on this one. New players will have a lot harder time with it, but losing the fight doesn't mean game over... it just leads to a less-than-ideal result.

I vote #2, because I want to see if Rook can imitate William Tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    This is correct. Now for the record, there IS pillage in single player (just not in the first tutorial fight), but I've been able to win that battle with just Iver and Rook pretty handily due to turn advantage. We are still balancing the game, and we might lower the difficulty on this one. New players will have a lot harder time with it, but losing the fight doesn't mean game over... it just leads to a less-than-ideal result.
    Suddenly, I wish I'd voted for Alette to head to the great hall, I'd have loved to see the two veterans take on 5 enemies and emerge victorious.

Choices, choices.

Voting #2 here. #1 would likely give Alette just enough time to watch as the mace smashes into her, while #3 would probably mean Rook gets into melee range with a guy he doesn't want to be anywhere close to, while Alette still gets smashed. Best case scenario, I'm hoping #2 would kill the colossus outright, or at the very least distract the enemy so Alette has enough time to get out of reach.

Put me down for 2. Shoot an arrow at it.

Really enjoyed the playthrough. Battle maps look gorgeous.

Part 2 - Shout a warning to her!

I wanted to add that I really like Alette's active ability. "Thread the Needle" is a neat ability and very thematic for the sharpshooter. I like how it encourages players to take advantage of positioning and increases the importance of formations and maneuvering.

But does anyone have any thoughts on what Iver's other passive ability is? I noticed at 4:20 on the video that he attacked the big dredge with an armor attack and it did 1 damage to each of the other adjacent dredge as well. It looks like an alternate version of heavy impact. Is this the first example we've had of a unit having two passive abilities?

I've also had a few runs on the demo, and it is possible to manage that fight with just Rook and Iver , it's a bit more challenging but not too hard to do, Iver is pretty beast with turn advantage and Rook can shoot stuff before going in for the kill, so it works pretty well.

Having Alette and Egil there does give you a bit more breathing room though.

The effect you see for the chain break on the dredge is a dredge trait. If you hit them for 3 or more break, it causes adjacent dredge to take armor damage also. The lore for this is because the armor shatters and causes damage to the other dredge closeby. Personally I like to think you shove them into each other and they collide causing that damage, cos they look so heavy!
    Last edited by raven2134; 09-03-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks for the explanation raven. That's pretty cool. I like the idea that the dredge have both special abilities and special weaknesses that we haven't seen before.

Shoot it with an arrow!

I vote for choice #2, shoot it with an arrow.

#1 Shout at Alette!

If folks would only vote the opposite for what they'd really choose during a playthrough, then we might see where things could go...

Since I never encountered this choice in my playthroughs, and thus don't know the consequences, I guess I can vote

I pick #2, since it might distract the dredge at least, and it would probably take much less time than running at with an axe. Time is of the essence!
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

Well, I first thought of running at it with an axe because rook will hit the first strike and can position himself between the dredge and Alette to catch a counter- attack. But shooting it with an arrow seems attractive too.

So I vote for #2 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusain View Post
    The person hosting the second video said that the fights do not scale depending on how many NPCs are on the map, and I don't really like this much at all. If the map don't scale then it seems I really don't have incentive to not bring everyone with me on every map.
    Allete is in danger now, if you haven't brought her, she would be safe (I guess).

Njael
    Vote for #2.

Great plays, I'm really excited for the whole game

I vote for #2

Great playthrough so far! I really like the new classes shown so far and how their abilities interact with positioning - they really add alot to the game.

Can you elaborate on the AI shown in the video a little bit more? Because at times I had the feeling that they did not chose the most optimal actions. For example both dredge on the right attacked Egil altough he used 'Stone Wall' and they could not do any damage to him. Was that behavior intentionally, i.e. some AI opponents are 'dumber' than others or was this because you are still tweaking it? (then again the AI might be smarter than me in judging the entire situation and I might completely miss something obvious here)

I heard that the AI was configured to ignore the Raidmasters "Stone Wall" ability. It was frustrating when users you enabled "Shield Wall" and then watch the enemy ignore the unit and attack other units instead, more satisfying to be able to outmaneuver the enemy when you use "Shield Wall". I think this is a case where the AI is being made intentionally stupid, which is okay in a single player game where the opponent is often intentionally stronger than you. (compared to the multiplayer where you are supposed to equal strength)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast