Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A glimpse of a feature from the single-player game

A glimpse of a feature from the single-player game

I noticed something strange while playing Factions this morning. I only have 2 rows in my proving grounds barracks because I haven't bought many units and didn't want to spend the renown unnecessarily. So the up and down arrows don't do anything. But when I clicked on them, the following image would flash for a split-second behind the Expand Barracks picture. It says "Injured! 25 Days" Sorry, I couldn't get a better picture of it.

A little glimpse of what we'll be seeing a lot more often in the single player game.

Ghosts! The time-space continuum has been breached, and the gods are all dead.

Nice catch man! I wonder how the player injuries will play out: like does a character have to die to become "injured" or will his damage he took in the last battle just slowly recover over time? Also, I wonder if a unit's armor is immediately restored while just their strength recovers? Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Though not completely related another thing I've noticed in one of the Let's Play videos is that after Rook used his Active Ability and Egil went to strike the Dredge (Egil has 7 STR and the Dredge has 11 ARM), rather than a "miss" he "deflects". Perhaps the folks at Stoic deterred from the "miss" language?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Though not completely related another thing I've noticed in one of the Let's Play videos is that after Rook used his Active Ability and Egil went to strike the Dredge (Egil has 7 STR and the Dredge has 11 ARM), rather than a "miss" he "deflects". Perhaps the folks at Stoic deterred from the "miss" language?
    Exactly Alex explained that on the chat the day that vid was released. The word "Miss" seemed to have provoked quite a bit of frustration to some Factions players, so they switched that to the more lore-friendly "Deflect".

I think the devs explained that defeated units become "injured" after the battle, but wounded units suffer no penalty. Personally I think a unit should be injured for a certain number of days based on how wounded he was in battle, but I since almost everyone in a battle takes some strength damage, this may be too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    Personally I think a unit should be injured for a certain number of days based on how wounded he was in battle, but since almost everyone in a battle takes some strength damage, this may be too harsh.
    Indeed. It would be interesting, however, if you are forced to use half-healed characters in a combat, i.e. having them start the battle at lower STR, ARM and/or WP. In this way, it doesn't "block" you from using certain units in an unexpected fight, but makes the battle more difficult than it could be -- if all units were at full health.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Heh, funny you guys found that. Don't look to deeply into this: while it is true that allies are considered "injured" when downed in battle, we're still exploring exactly what happens, whether it's time-out from battle or temporary negative stats or some other penalty. It will probably vary depending on the difficult that you're playing, as well. We've tried a few different things and we're going to be changing it more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It will probably vary depending on the difficult that you're playing, as well.
    So, you are confirming that there are gonna be tunable difficulty settings? Will there be any "rewards" attached to playing in a harder setting, or just the increased challenge and thrill will be all?

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    So, you are confirming that there are gonna be tunable difficulty settings? Will there be any "rewards" attached to playing in a harder setting, or just the increased challenge and thrill will be all?
    We're currently planning on difficulty settings to keep things interesting for our Factions veterans. We should probably spin up an "Endless Setting" for Stoicmom. Achievements tied to difficulty are very much of interest to us, but depends on how much time we have to get stuff done before launching. We know the rough date of our launch now, but need to settle a few more things before announcing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    We're currently planning on difficulty settings to keep things interesting for our Factions veterans. We should probably spin up an "Endless Setting" for Stoicmom. Achievements tied to difficulty are very much of interest to us, but depends on how much time we have to get stuff done before launching. We know the rough date of our launch now, but need to settle a few more things before announcing.
    I am confident you guys are gonna put together something pretty awesome, one way or another! And, stoicmom will surely appreciate the "endless" setting, although I'm sure she'll be more into Factions at the end of the day, meeting new players etc. Glad to hear we are getting close-and-closer to the GAME. We can't wait!

As far as difficulty settings are concerned, I personally love to see different content enabled or disabled per difficulty. In Valkyrie Profile, for example, playing on Normal and playing on Hard only shared a portion of the dungeons. There were a ton of dungeons that only showed up specifically based on which difficulty you were on, so that the entire experience of said dungeon was designed with harder or easier puzzles, battles, etc. How that could relate in to Banner Saga could be something as simple as tying in certain harsher travel events to harder difficulty settings, or having procedural battles with more detrimental starting positioning tied to harder difficulties...things like that. It's a little more work than simply "pump up the enemy stats more" but it sure makes replay value jump a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by LoliSauce View Post
    As far as difficulty settings are concerned, [...] It's a little more work than simply "pump up the enemy stats more" but it sure makes replay value jump a ton.
    I was thinking of the simplest thing of all: Don't change nothing content- and organization-wise, just make the AI smarter (or dumber). For instance, implementing a "look X number of turns ahead" feature/algorithm, would help pick the best moves. As X grows, the AI gets smarter. On easier AI settings, the enemy would just attack who's closest etc. Implementing this would also help if stoic added a "Hint button" to help in difficult battles (e.g. clickable 2-3 times per-battle, to show the best move in given turn etc).

I feel like battles would be too situational to be able to give the player a hint button to suggest favorable moves.

And honestly, if my only reason to play on a harder difficulty setting was just more thoughtful AI, that's not really much reward to play multiple difficulties and progress upwards. I'd just start on the highest right away to learn at the top level so that it was my standard and just ignore the others. If there's actually something interesting to each difficulty, then I'll be inclined to experience it all. Similarly, if someone doesn't particularly want to be a combat superhero, and instead just wants to chill through the story, what reason would they ever have to want to experience more outside of their initial easy/normal difficulty choice?

And honestly, if my only reason to play on a harder difficulty setting was just more thoughtful AI, that's not really much reward to play multiple difficulties and progress upwards. I'd just start on the highest right away to learn at the top level so that it was my standard and just ignore the others. If there's actually something interesting to each difficulty, then I'll be inclined to experience it all. Similarly, if someone doesn't particularly want to be a combat superhero, and instead just wants to chill through the story, what reason would they ever have to want to experience more outside of their initial easy/normal difficulty choice?
    Considering difficulty, I'd probable start in the mid-setting and try to finish the game there, and then raise it in the following play-throughs. I think that most players with small (or no) experience in Factions won't brave the hard settings for their first games.

I believe it is all tied with what rewards you get after a battle. Lets consider some things:

• Confirmed -- Like Factions, you get points of renown for each kill you make plus a bonus for a Victory.
    • Suggestion -- When you are faced with enemies that outnumber you, you might earn a bonus from that difference?
    • Suggestion -- When you play at higher-difficulty, you get a fixed bonus win-or-loses, like the Expert-Timer in Factions?
    • Suggestion -- If harder battles just bring beefier foes, and if there is an "item-looting" feature, then you might get better items for besting stronger foes...

Now, if none of these "Suggestions" exist, then fighting in higher difficulty will probably be just for the heck of it. I also imagine an "Insane" difficulty level, where you practically can't afford to make a mistake, or even need to rely on luck to win.

Also, there's the question of whether this difficulty setting will be
    1. a one-off choice (from the beginning that affects all the game), or
    2. something that you can change along the way (if you start feeling its too easy/hard), or
    3. just a per-battle setting, tweakable even during the battle.

Somehow I doubt, with the design decisions made so far, that Stoic would want to include a setting in which you'd have to rely on luck to win. It's a game that rewards thoughtful planning and has very few luck-based mechanics, after all.

Anyway, getting more renoun that you can use to make your traveling life easier seems like it might work against making the game actually harder. Items, on the other hand, are probably something that would only give you battle benefit (to help cope with the harder battles) so I suppose that's better overall. Has anything actually been said about items yet?

Has anything actually been said about items yet?
    Not really. On the bright side, I recall that some KS rewards were tied to items, or Relics, to be more accurate:

However, these don't really seem like what we are typically imagining, i.e. mighty weapons that do +5 damage etc

There was an explanation about the items in the texts in the lets play (part 1). You see it if you read every line. hmmm. Dont want to spoil so people can check it out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hreinnbeno View Post
    There was an explanation about the items in the texts in the lets play (part 1). You see it if you read every line. hmmm. Dont want to spoil so people can check it out themselves.
    Can you be a little more spoilerous there, hreinn? I can't find what you're talking about! It's in some comment posted by the devs in the KS-update or in YouTube, or here in the forum-posts?

Remember, combat still ties into story in subtle ways. If you HAD to fight tough fights you may not make certain choices because you couldn't take risks in combat.

Changing combat difficulty will have effects on the story. Though I think this may lead more to people playing on easy to be able to make choices without worry for combat. Shrug

Based on my discussion with Stoic, difficulty is more to cater to play style and taste, rather than to lock or grant access to content per se. This could be in flux tho, for all I know hehe

Oh and harder battles/difficulty does have its rewards. For now it looks like more renown and chance to get items. I'm not sure whether stoic is thinking of more. More/other rewards might be a good idea >
    Last edited by raven2134; 09-27-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast