Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Rough Guide to Travel Trailer

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar

Rough Guide to Travel Trailer

Howdy Folks!

We just uploaded a new trailer focusing on Travel! Let us know what you think and if you have any remaining questions on travel!

Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

It looks really nice, lots of new game screens being shown here! I like how morale affects the amount of willpower you start the battle with.

it looks fantastic! I thought that the graphics don't surprise me anymore but those landscapes are even more gorgeous.

Looks nice!

Really hope the interactive map has the ability to zoom out and see the whole of the map

The "new" battle boards look great! Bah I can't wait for the reverse Ragnorak known as the release of The Banner Saga!

Awesome! (this word is sorta losing its meaning, repeated so many times for TBS )

And tons & tons of new things to look at... Morale, supplies, population, camp, renown, items, characters, battle maps, world map! Wow. We need a lot of time to process all that
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

i thought the soundtrack was composed using wind instruments only, yet i hear a fiddle in this video. is that part of the final soundtrack for the game ?

There was mention somewhere in all the information that solo instruments were being added along the way by Austin, but I don't remember about the family of the solo instruments . . .

I suspect the music in this trailer is from another source; not from the actual game soundtrack.
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

Here's a breakup explanation of the TBS HUD properties, as I understood them from this guide-video:

The red text indicates push-buttons that actually do something, whereas the black ones are just monitors of your caravan's stats.

We should do a follow-up post with explanation of the basic metric -- Renown, Morale, Population & Supplies.

EDIT -- Please note the eight-pointed star design (like the one used to represent WP points!), formed by the eight things displayed in this HUD. Too much symbolism in this game!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 11-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.

The HUD is amazing. Compact, easy to understand, beautiful artwork, and brilliantly implemented! (and it leaves the remainder of the screen free to look over the amazing travel visuals!

12.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    I'm sending your labeling to Stoic so they can use it for a manual if they make one. That's an awesome photoshop

The only text on the HUD (apart from the numbers) is the population breakdown: peasants, fighters, varl. I am wondering why weren't they represented with small banners too, using icons instead of text. For instance, you could have three banners with some passive/earthen/greyscale colors for the three categories, and the icons could be something like:
    • a humanoid head (or a labor tool, e.g. plow, shovel) --> peasants
    • a humanoid head with a helm (or a weapon, e.g. axe, sword) --> fighters
    • a horned humanoid head (or just horns!) --> varl

14.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Wouldn't it be hard to fit? Take additional space?

I don't think it would be so bad. Here's how I imagined it...

(P/F/V stands for Peasants/Fighter/Varl. Nice icons could be crafted for those, by somebody skilled.)

Note: I am 99% sure we've seen something like that version before (with multiple banners flying to the left of the HUD). I think it was on that Travel KS-update, but no pictures can be seen there. Perhaps they disappeared (broken links) after the hack-attacks?
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 11-24-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Altered picture -- Removed P/F/V and added face-icons.

It's too abstract like that. It'd just be another thing to explain, whereas text keeps things completely obvious.

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17
    What Lolisauce said

Not any more abstract than most of the other symbols, especially Renown.

But I'm fine either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LoliSauce View Post
    It's too abstract like that. It'd just be another thing to explain, whereas text keeps things completely obvious.
    You could say that for all the other buttons (banners=Renown, sacks=Supplies, hammer=Settings etc) too. I don't think its so much more work to explain; the game got such a simple HUD/UI to start with. So, I say: Since they started it that way, why not go all the way? Also, those are not action-buttons, so they could easily add a tooltip that (when moused-over) brings up an explanation text.

But, I'm sure Stoic considered this representation style too, and dumped it. And, they know better

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Remember to keep sharing this info with friends!
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast