Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Items!

Items!

Here is a sneak-peak at the a couple of items that are to come with The Banner Saga Chapter 1. They were glimpsed at the Rough Guide to Travel video, posted on 20 Nov

The "Dunder's Hand" gloves add a bonus of +3STR (at item rank-5), while the "Serpent Earrings" give a 5% chance to dodge an STR-attack (at item rank-1). Any ideas about what the "Ash Mead" and "Eyeless Rift" items might provide?

In the aforementioned video, it was stated that renown can be spent to increase the rank of an item, just as to promote a unit. That means that it increases their bonus? For instance, those Serpent Earrings could gain a +5% chance per rank... Also, the Renown cost to purchase these items seems to be 5*<Item_Rank>.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 11-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Ash Mead: "Those who drink deeply of this brew say they find the courage to stand up to the most daunting of foes. +2 WP"
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Quote Originally Posted by StandSure View Post
    Ash Mead: "Those who drink deeply of this brew say they find the courage to stand up to the most daunting of foes. +2 WP"
    Spot on, lore-wise! Where did you "fish" that one, StandSure?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Spot on, lore-wise! Where did you "fish" that one, StandSure?
    What can I say, I'm a creative guy.

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Eyeless Rift: "Once belonging to the late Gryss the Gambler, this blindfold is said to have been used in his fateful last wager. +10 Renown if victorious in battle"

Quote Originally Posted by StandSure View Post
    What can I say, I'm a creative guy.
    Since you have proven so... resourceful, could you supply the names and properties of these three little trinkets that also show up in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Since you have proven so... resourceful, could you supply the names and properties of these three little trinkets that also show up in the video?
    You ask a lot. Luckily it's the end of my work-day...here goes, left to right:

Freya's Bracelet - "Crafted with superior skill, this bauble makes you the prettiest girl in the bar. +5% Morale in the caravan"
    Haegl Amulet - "A common symbol worn by travelers hoping for fair weather. -5% travel time"
    Knobby Pommel - "Now even your backhand packs a punch. +1 armor break"

Good night!

I really think Stoic nailed it with their implementation of items. The common trend current games is to have many items and many stats, and in a lot of the cases you don't even know what some of them do! I'm loving that the inventory, equipping process, and overall UI in general is super simple, because I think it's an easy trap to fall in to think that you need to make a complex system to be fun. There's nothing more irritating to me than complexity for the sake of complexity, and I'm happy that Stoic apparently feels the same way!

Agreed. Simplicity is the key. Doomator said it -- "This game is simply great and greatly simple", we gotta hand it to the man

Returning to the items, I am inclined to believe that the background-color of the item is related to the bonus it grands: Purple/Blue/Red/Gold/Green/Dark is related to the Rank/STR/ARM/WP/EX/AB stats, respectively... Am I close, StandSure?

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    We'll have a deep dive on Items soon - and some of them are really really cool!
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Quote Originally Posted by Myll_Erik View Post
    We'll have a deep dive on Items soon - and some of them are really really cool!
    Great! We shall see how close StandSure came to the mark! Items seem like a game-changer mechanic for me. I am really curious to see how they work in the Saga, in order to start speculating on them for Factions too!

The more I think about items the more excited I get! Thinking of each of a unit's combat stats, an additional point in movement range, ranged attack distance, and armor break seem the most exciting as a single point will have a big impact! (Running pimento /running ring anyone )

Heck, even 3 strength is pretty exciting and sure to be super powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Thinking of each of a unit's combat stats, an additional point in movement range, ranged attack distance, and armor break seem the most exciting as a single point will have a big impact!
    Indeed. Messing with the fundamental class attributes (i.e. attack & movement range) is very dangerous & potentially unstable.

What would be ultra funny is magical items that shrinks/augments a units footprint, e.g 2x2 <--> 1x1 Imagine a giant 2x2 archer or a minuscule 1x1 shieldbanger? The unit sprites being vector-based and the positioning-mechanics implemented with a distinct footprint property (independent of class/ability-type) can potentially allow this madness!

Last edited by Aleonymous; 12-02-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added visual!

Ha! The unit sizes is an interesting possibility :-)

Another really neat possibility would be items that replace your active ability or passive with a new one. Raiders using tempest or archers using battering ram just seem devious Varl + shield wall or puncture also seems pretty evil There's even the possibility of a completely new ability coming along with an item!

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Another really neat possibility would be items that replace your active ability or passive with a new one. Raiders using tempest or archers using battering ram just seem devious Varl + shield wall or puncture also seems pretty evil There's even the possibility of a completely new ability coming along with an item!
    I think we've discussed this before

Some abilities are easy to allow/implement for any unit, as they do not require additional "content" (e.g. sprite-animations) and do not significantly harm the logic or the lore of the game. Examples I can think of are shieldwall (banding-together is always more secure) and puncture (taking care in your attack --i.e. not moving-- can always have a better effect).

Now, apart from those generic passives, I think that active abilities should be restricted inside the same class, e.g. an archer can only use items that grant archer-class abilities (BoP, SnB, RoA, TtN).