View Poll Results: Would you like to see the game on GoG.com?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 70.59%
  • No

1 5.88%
  • I don't mind

4 23.53%

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: GoG.com ?

Question GoG.com ?

Hei all!

First than all, sorry if this was posted on the wrong place of the forums, did not really knew where to put it! Feel free to move it to where it belongs, but make sure to notify me please, as i would like to follow up with any comments that get posted here!

Now to the issue in question, will the single player game be released on GoG.com ? I would love if this was so, as i am not a huge fan of Steam(for my own particular reasons)
    I see the need for Steam for Factions as it was a multiplexer game, but on a single player game i seriously see no needs for it.

The ideal thing would be if the game was released on both platforms!

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious as to what it takes to host a game on GoG. If it was easy as "let's put it up on GoG" wouldn't every indie do it? There is probably a fee associated with it, no? Regardless, I'm all for more ways to get the Saga into players hands, although early in the Kickstarter I believe Stoic said that they were going to provide a non-DRM and non-Steam way to get the game, so don't fret!

After digging a bit I found this on the original kKckstarter page in the FAQ at the bottom (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-banner-saga)

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    After digging a bit I found this on the original kKckstarter page in the FAQ at the bottom (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-banner-saga)

Hei! thanks a lot! That brightened my day

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    I'm curious as to what it takes to host a game on GoG. If it was easy as "let's put it up on GoG" wouldn't every indie do it? There is probably a fee associated with it, no? Regardless, I'm all for more ways to get the Saga into players hands, although early in the Kickstarter I believe Stoic said that they were going to provide a non-DRM and non-Steam way to get the game, so don't fret!

Yea am also curious about it, but i suppose it should be more or less like Steam or any other digital distributor, like a % of the sales goes to them. About all indies going that way, i suppose there are some requirements GoG impose, that not all developers agree with, DRM free being maybe one of them.
    Last edited by Yellow; 12-03-2013 at 01:05 AM.

That is a kickstarter page and nothing says that non-kickstarter users would be able to have non-Steam version
    I think it will depend on whether Stoic will have opportunities to sell their game anywhere apart from Steam
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

My vote was "I don't mind", cuz, well, I don't mind!

I think that Steam has a much broader "reach" than GoG, not to mention completely independent publishing schemes. If we knew the exact figures, i.e. the % deals that Steam & GoG cut from the developers as well as the numbers of sold games (say for 5-10 benchmark titles available on both platforms), we could make a sounder comparison...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    I think it's something they're planning to do? (Don't quote me on that) but it's probably on the radar. Seriously, there's a lot to get done just to release the game . I don't think it'll be that hard to get the game on GoG after it's out, but as stated in that screen cap above, Stoic first needs to fix a stand alone client (partly complicated by how it's linked to Factions).

There's always humble bundle as an alternative. That seems pretty indie friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    Stoic first needs to fix a stand alone client (partly complicated by how it's linked to Factions).
    Yea that is something that kind of bothers me a little, i cant say i like it when single player games, find the need to get linked to a multiplayer feature that to be fair not many asked for!

The core game and factions being linked should be optional in my opinion! That way people would not feel them self forced to be online or linked to Steam in any way in order to fully enjoy the single player, tactical-rpg that was founded on Kickstarter.

I personally like it the way The Witcher 2 dealt with the Arena leaderboard feature, they did not needed any selv-made client or 3rd party client in order to implement it, neither i ever felt the nessesity to enter the Arena to feel i was getting the best out of my copy of the game.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    That's a fair point Yellow. I think it's partly cos of how the backend of the game was developed. I'm not too keen on the details myself (maybe they actually do have a stand alone client for single player). I'll see if I can get John to chime in. I mentioned such because it seems a lot of the systems/framework for the Saga still came from Factions. They weren't kidding when they said they were re-using/utilizing everything that went into Factions and how it was a preparatory stage as well.

I surmise the clients are linked on the backend right now because as they update the Saga in development as they get closer to a release build, the changes have also at times affected the stability of Factions.

In short, I'm pretty much saying if the games are linked, it's likely not because Stoic intends to force it on players, but cos that's how things got put together.

Probably the best option here would be to just state that for stand-alone version multiplayer won't be available; for that you'd need Steam.

There is though some other complications, for example there is a feature stated on site that some multiplayer things will be unlocked through single player campaign. So there is a question how will it be implemented between stand-alone singleplayer and Steam version of Factions. Probably this would too require playing through Factions.

And of course such things as cards/achievements won't be available in stand-alone version.

11.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Some people want a non-DRM version of Factions, the issue has come up before. It's nothing coming soon though, because of the technology required to support a standalone client for multiplayer.

Of course, the issue at hand isn't standalone for multiplayer but standalone for singleplayer. I'll look into it/ask Stoic when the chance comes up . Bit busy atm! But good busy...progress busy

I just wanted to connect something potentially irrelevant here -- What's Stoic's plan for releasing Saga and/or Factions for tablets? Will it play in Mac iPads, as it plays for Macs? Any plans for crossing over to Android?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    Some people want a non-DRM version of Factions, the issue has come up before. It's nothing coming soon though, because of the technology required to support a standalone client for multiplayer.
    The thing is - Factions wasn't promised as DRM-free anywhere (Saga was). So yeah, stand-alone Factions is a secondary task put on a shelf as far as possible

14.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #14
    Not sure of Android or the specifics of iOS. I mean the options there of course, it's a matter of spending the time (and money) to port it there. I do know they were planning tablets at some point. Just no specifics as of this time.

Funny thing though, they've gotten Factions to run on a Windows tablet already/before. Just that it isn't optimized. Probably best to focus on 1/14/14 release first, then see where it goes from there.

There's a crap load ton of things to do. I mean there's the soundtrack and artbooks that need to go out once the game is released (KS rewards), DRM free copy of the game (another KS item), then there's also revamping Factions, and of course there's also ports (and localization). Going to take time to do all these things.

I got to say that i am pleased that the game finally came out on GoG.com(even if it came out with a huge delay and without Tryggvi :/

Hopefully the 2 future games of the saga will come out on GoG at launch day, and hopefully Stoic has learned the lesson of not restricting in-game material, specialy not characters to pre-order "bonuses".
    Last edited by Yellow; 10-02-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"