Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: New Combat Trailer

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar

New Combat Trailer

Howdy Folks!

We just released a new combat trailer - let us know what you think!

Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Very nice, Erik. Thanks. Most of the concepts discussed are very well known to Factions players, but, as always, there were interesting treats & eye-candies Interestingly, I noticed some quite spoilery things in the battles scenes shown between 0:20-0:30secs of the video (not going to discuss them more). Why do you keep showing those scenes?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Good summary of combat. I enjoyed several new units being shown off. If I could nitpick, I'd mention that you glossed over the point of resting in combat, which might make new players think you could heal units by resting.

It seems like you've covered much of the game's central concepts - travelling, combat and events. Although it might be cool to see a video about the features of the camping screen.

I am amused that the actions shown while she is saying to "use [your willpower] wisely" (3:30) are actually poor uses of willpower (more used than needed to kill, AND used on a 60% hit).

Can't wait for the release!
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Lost of interesting tid bits in there!

• In the first bits of combat we see dredge (whose turn does not come up next) run away when getting hit. This could be a "dredge slinger" passive ability!
    • We also see our green Warhawk, Gunnulf, for the first time
    • At the 1:40 mark we see a siege archer use a rank 1 Slag and Burn on dredge grunt and it does 5 STR and 3 ARM damage while his armor is higher then our Yrsa's STR; perhaps this is a difference between Slag and Burn's functionality between the single and multiplayer, a benefit from an item, or some passive debuff on the grunts!
    • We get introduced to a couple new units in the latter great hall battle: Valgard the shieldmaster, and "Shieldbanger" the shieldbanger (we also get to see Eirik, our upcoming Warden, in action!)

One thing that I really like is the simplicity of the item AI. The items neatly listed on the bottom with the smaller icon of whom it equips on works well, and is consistent with the way we're used to be fed information in the proving grounds and in the battle UI. One thing that we haven't seen though is how players are going to know what "item rank" their current character is. It seems that we will be able to promote a character's Rank (as seen below their name) or item level, but the feedback to the player of the existing item level doesn't seem to be there.

Also as a final note let me add that the narration, the language used, and the music is such high quality (I love that narrator's voice too!). I've never seen anything like this from an indie game. Being a super duper Stoic fanboy, I'm so grateful that these videos have been put together! Thanks, and keep it up! Can't wait for release!

I like the "third" art-style of the characters, being the caravan-mode 2D-sideviews. The other two art-styles are the 2D-portraits (Proving Grounds & Conversation) and the isometric-units (in-battle).

The characters are instantly recognizable by their forms & colors
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    What do you mean Slimsy, regarding knowing item level? Based on playtest, an item has a rank displayed, a unit has a rank displayed. You can't equip an item whose rank > unit rank.

they are not treating that Yox nicely, specially when you consider it's the only female varl of the caravan.

Very nice, good to get a bit more explanation about the difference between battle and war, and good to have all of the information in one place. Thanks very much.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Great graphic Aleo!
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Uhh, I didn't notice the actual characters in the front. Neat
    Also a very nice trailer in general.

The item rank is just automatically increasing by promoting, it seems.