Thread: Thief in Strand

Thief in Strand

While we all wait for January 14th, I decided to make small game of deduction for everyone to shorten remaining time. If you are interested (I hope so ), read following paragraphs and play.

Rules

• Everyone can play, there are no restrictions. Knowledge of Factions units is highly recommended.
    • Do not spoil correct answer to anyone.
    • Send your answer by PM to me. Do not post it in this topic.
    • You have only one try, so think carefully before sending PM to me.
    • Deadline for sending is Monday 16.12. 2013, 23:59 CET. Correct answer and names of everyone who found it will be posted during Tuesday.
    • There is no prize for winners, whole game is just for fun.

Game story

Wealthy nobleman was robbed by yet unknown thief. His most priced possession, bejeweled helm of his great-great-great grandfather was stolen. There are twelve suspects, each of different class: Bowmaster, Siege Archer, Skystriker, Backbiter, Raidmaster, Thrasher, Provoker, Shieldmaster, Strongarm, Warhawk, Warleader and Warmaster. Luckily there are several witnesses, but no one is able to identify thief for sure. Every witness is telling truth, unless stated otherwise. Your goal is to find out who the thief is.

Testimonies of witnesses

First two witnesses are small kid and his father. Father hasn't seen thief, but his son did. He says: „Thief was huge, much bigger than me, maybe it was giant." His father adds: "My son has big imagination, don't believe everything he says. Even average man is three times bigger than him, so don't think about varls."

Next witness is old man, maybe sixty years old: "I'll tell you one thing. In my days thrashers were feared, those flurries of blows, six hits in blink of eye and you were on the ground. I got severely beaten by one of them, I remember it as it was yesterday. If that thief was a thrasher, I would have recognized that in a moment."

Third witness is local drunkard. His name is Caesar, rumors are he was in spy guild or something, but now he is just drunk. He is half asleep when you talk to him. Suddenly he starts to shout: "Fishes, marlins, extra larGe!!! Know them. Look, Great Funny shark in my pocket. Was On my table yeSterDay. Didn't eat him, now we tell jokes to each other." Then he falls asleep again and you can not wake him up. He is probably totally useless. Or isn't he?

Last two witnesses are identical twins. No one can tell them apart. One of them always tell lies, other sometimes tells truth, sometimes lies. First twin says "Thief was a woman.", second tells you that thief had bow and arrows.

That is all, now it is up to you to find out who stole the helmet. Have fun.
    Last edited by Kuba; 12-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Interesting idea I'll play.

Well it certainly wasn't an archer if we can trust the statement that one of the twins always lies.

I'm thinking that it was probably a backbiter if he could get away before the father saw him, if the father and the son were together at the time of the incident.

heads up Worldplay :P
    Send your answer by PM to me. Do not post it in this topic.

Ooops. Sorry...

I am still not sure what to make of the drunkard's riddle I am gonna send the possible thieves to Kuba anyway....
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Some of you are waiting for revealing of thief today. I hope I don't disappoint you by postponing whole game by few days to December 21st, revelation is going to happen on December 22nd. I have two reasons: only three of you played this little game, two by PM, one by posting here (Wordplay, please edit your post and send answer by PM). I hope that postponing might bring more players to game. Coincidentally pre-orders are on, maybe there will be more users on forum and more participants. Second reason is to make things little easier. I will edit main post and add some new clue for drunkard. Maybe then it will become clearer how to solve his part. I hope you all are all right with my changes. Everyone who send his/her answer is granted one new try.
    Last edited by Kuba; 12-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.

A very interesting clue. Still I am missing something though. Arg!

I am going to reveal who was thief.

• First clue (father and son) - thief wasn't varl
    • Second clue (old man) - trasher isn't thief
    • Third clue (drunk) - if you get all capital letters, it makes FGKLGFWOSDD. Drunk name is Caesar, so Caesar's cipher might be used. FGKLGFWOSDD rotated by eight letters makes NOSTONEWALL, so Raidmaster is not a thief.
    • Fourth clue (twins) - Either only one twin is liar or both of them are liars. I case of one speaking truth and other not, there are two possibilities: 1) Thief was a woman without bow and arrows or 2) Thief was man with bow and arrows. That is not possible, so both of them are liars, making all archers not thieves.

All clues combined makes Backbiter guilty of crime. Thanks all who participated, roder and Wordplay were correct, Aleo managed to narrow options to two possibilities. Once more, thank you for playing, I hope you enjoyed it.

Ha! I knew that DD would relate to the LL in stonewall somehow Thanks for the riddle, Kuba!

Until you prepare the next one, I'm gonna throw in another riddle of this sort, a classical one:

"You come at a crossroads where there's two identical twins, one who always lies and one who always tells the truth. You don't know the which of the two roads is the correct one. You have the right to ask only one question to one of the brothers (you can't tell them apart) and decide which is the correct way..."

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    "You come at a crossroads where there's two identical twins, one who always lies and one who always tells the truth. You don't know the which of the two roads is the correct one. You have the right to ask only one question to one of the brothers (you can't tell them apart) and decide which is the correct way..."
    Here's an unorthodox solution to this riddle

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by gaelvin View Post
    Here's an unorthodox solution to this riddle

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html
    Hahaha, unorthodox indeed!

Hehe yep, I had it between RM and BB, so I made a guess. The item that was stolen was a bejeweled helm, and BB is the only unit in the game that wears a helm ^^ maybe he was looking for a more flashy helm for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Until you prepare the next one, I'm gonna throw in another riddle of this sort, a classical one:

I might as well give the solution to this one: You ask either of the twins ''What would your brother tell me if I asked which way is the correct road?'', and you pick the other road

(a) If you ask the liar, he'll just lie about the truth-teller's telling and give you the wrong answer.
    (b) If you ask the truth-teller, he'll be forced to tell you what his liar twin would tell; so, he'll give you the wrong answer once more.