Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Insane Viking Pack Pre-Order Now Available

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar

Insane Viking Pack Pre-Order Now Available

Howdy Folks!

It is a big day for The Banner Saga with our pre-order going live today. We couldn't have made it this far without you. To help continue this saga, make sure to let your friends and family know they can take advantage of 20% off the price if they pre-order the game and they also get the Insane Viking Pack!

**NOTE** KS Backers get the Insane Viking Pack automatically!

Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Congratulations, just saw it on Steam =)
    Finally its there!

When and how will steam keys beeing sent out or be made acessible to KS Backers?

Hooray, preorders are finally here! Is there a way to order directly from Stoic? If not, which vendor is best in terms of how much of the purchase price makes it to the devs and also in terms of not having DRM?

I have been very enthusiastic about this game since i found out about Factions almost a year back, since then, i've been supporting it in any ways i can, financially(bought a signed poster a wile back) , i have recommended it to all my friends, liked all the youtube videos and subscribed to the chanel, liked all the pictures on facebook and shared the announcements, even opened a few threads in the forum about how to improve Factions....

With the previous in mind, i cant really say that i like what this announcement shows and offers. On the contrary, this is a bit of a deal-breaker for me, mainly because of 2 points:

1st - no GoG.com as purchase method( no DRM free neither i might ask? )

2nd, pre-order exclusive in-game content (this goes against my principles and it's the one thing i have been most critic about in other games, that together with all the worthless DLCs we see nowdays.

I really don't know what to say, but the words "happy" or "exited" does not cross my mind right now...

EDIT: Seems i was wrong about the 1st point, since GoG was missing on the pre-order link, i assumed it would not be avanible there, but it is listed on the video description, so i guess it will after all.
    Last edited by Yellow; 10-23-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    I have been very enthusiastic about this game since i found out about Factions almost a year back, since then, i've been supporting it in any ways i can, financially(bought a signed poster a wile back) , i have recommended it to all my friends, liked all the youtube videos and subscribed to the chanel, liked all the pictures on facebook and shared the announcements, even opened a few threads in the forum about how to improve Factions....

With the previous in mind, i cant really say that i like what this renouncement shows and offers. On the contrary, this is a bit of a deal-breaker for me, mainly because of 2 points:

1st - no GoG.com as purchase method( no DRM free neither i might ask? )

2nd, pre-order exclusive in-game content (this goes against my principles and it's the one thing i have been most critic about in other games, that together with all the worthless DLCs we see nowdays.

I really don't know what to say, but the words "happy" or "exited" does not cross my mind right now...
    1st. It will be sold on gog.com, gamefly, gamestop and gamers gate (and steam).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zIGKnL9RPI
    In the text.

2nd. Do agree with that comment highly (regarding the in game content), it feels like an unnecessary banana, person could be travelling around the world for a month and would lose a part of the game just because of a preorder. But I am indeed in love with Banner saga faction, so I will give them that break. Truth is though it just feels a bit sleazy and in this day and age where everything is scrutinised that doesnt help.
    Last edited by hreinnbeno; 12-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hreinnbeno View Post
    1st. It will be sold on gog.com, gamefly, gamestop and gamers gate (and steam).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zIGKnL9RPI
    In the text.
    Ok, i missed that on the description of the video, my comment was based on that "GoG.com" is/was not visible when you click on pre-order , there only "Steam", "Gamefly Digital" and "GameStop" are shown. Thanks for the info!

Can't wait for thiss!!!! ^_^

Based on the way I read how they've worded things, it's the "Insane Viking Pack" that is exclusive to preorders and possibly not the in-game character. The video says Tryggvi is an "exclusive character," but I'm not sure that actually means he's exclusive to preorders. Maybe it does, but I hope that he will be available as DLC for those who don't preorder.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    It's just 1 character (out of 20-25), I'll check into if he'll be dlc available after pre order period.

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    It's just 1 character (out of 20-25), I'll check into if he'll be dlc available after pre order period.
    I know its only 1, but still its not just an hollow character, its comes with its own background story, its own dialog lines, and so on.... I really dont see the need of offering in-game content as pre-order exclusive, when there is so much else that could be offered in stead; key rings, maps, artwork, soundtrack(this was included) making off videos and so on... Look at how CDPR deals with its games(Witcher 1 and 2) adn while one can argue that CDPR is a big studio(not really) with lots of money(spend tons of it as well to make those games) lets not forget that The Banner Saga was founded mainly by kickstarter, so the economy issue should not be used as scuse....

Characters offered as pre-order exclusive or even as paid DLC later on just reminds me too much of the way Bioware went about with both Mass Effect franchise and Dragon Age franchise, selling you the game by pieces....

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    I know its only 1, but still its not just an hollow character, its comes with its own background story, its own dialog lines, and so on.... I really dont see the need of offering in-game content as pre-order exclusive, when there is so much else that could be offered in stead; key rings, maps, artwork, soundtrack(this was included) making off videos and so on...
    Hello Yellow (nice rhyme, btw ). I don't really mind the pre-order thing; I actually "like" it being a little cheaper or coming with a small bonus-gift. Now, about the Day1 DLC, I can't say I'm extremely excited either; I agree that those other offerings (not in-game content) you mention are much better suited. On the other hand, I don't think this character (Tryggvi) is really essential in the story, nor is he indispensable to win the game or enjoy it.

Unfortunately, like it or not, it's a free market out there so they can do whatever they like. And we are left with the option (?) -- buy it or not. Usually, I don't play/buy games right when they launch; I just wait some months for prizes to drop or bundles (including all DLCs) to come out. However, this game I really like and I also have confidence that StoicStudio is not some money-greedy enterprise, so I can excuse them these small slights
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

12.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    The Banner Saga is the full game, that has always been the intent.

I think it's more bad practice that has tainted the idea of DLCs, when a developer/studio/publisher purposely or intentionally breaks apart something we can consider a whole product, just to sell it piece-meal to make more money.

There is a flipside to this though, which is the opposite. A studio/developer/publisher can give you a full game, and similar to an expansion but in smaller scale, DLCs may also act as a viable model for providing really significant additional content that could not or would not make it in the initial game release.

Truly, there are justified reasons why many frown upon the prior practice of DLCs (I remember Capcom pulled that crap with one of its games). However, I think it's also fair we really evaluate what the actual situation and context is. I'm sure many fans and players would be happy if a studio/developer/publisher could give them more quality content for one of their favorite games, even after it's been released.

I think the bonus character and pre-order package, like the myriad of privileges laid out for backers, follow a similar spirit. They simply want to show an extra sign of appreciation for people that support the game early. Stoic has always been largely inclusive in it's endeavors with the community, and I think this is just another extension of that.
    Last edited by raven2134; 12-18-2013 at 08:15 AM.

I'm sure many fans and players would be happy if a studio/developer/publisher could give them more quality content for one of their favorite games, even after it's been released.
    Since I am one of those fans -- is there, at this point, any intent for more "quality content" for Saga#1 game (paid DLC or free update/patch etc)?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I think the bonus character and pre-order package, like the myriad of privileges laid out for backers, follow a similar spirit. They simply want to show an extra sign of appreciation for people that support the game early. Stoic has always been largely inclusive in it's endeavors with the community, and I think this is just another extension of that.
    I don't have anything against the little extra for backers or for pre-orders, its just that in my opinions there are other stuff that could be offered as that little extra, stuff that do not take away from the game, so that those who don't get it, don't feel they are getting a 99% completed game in stead of a 100%, because that is how i am feeling right now.. and i know that was not the intention, am sure the idea was for those who pre-order getting a 101% product, and those who don't a 100% but sadly from my point of view, am hardly getting a 99% if i don't pre-order...

In other words i don't have an issue with What is done, but with How it is done, no matter how un-important that character is, it was done before game release, it has a background story, it has dialog and so on, its not just a hollow character is it?
    Last edited by Yellow; 12-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    I've no idea about future DLCs.

Stoic is releasing The Banner Saga, Chapter 1, as a full game. At this point.

I don't know if it counts as a spoiler, but to assure you I suppose...based on my playtesting of the game, Tryggvi's only relevance is in battle. He has not come into any other part of the game besides you meeting him, and then you using him if you want to for battle.

I've no idea about future DLCs.

Stoic is releasing The Banner Saga, Chapter 1, as a full game. At this point.

I don't know if it counts as a spoiler, but to assure you I suppose...based on my playtesting of the game, Tryggvi's only relevance is in battle. He has not come into any other part of the game besides you meeting him, and then you using him if you want to for battle.
    But that is really the thing though. They are trying to use Tryggvi to make you buy it in pre order, while you know like Aleo said that he wouldnt be part of the pre order if he was indispensable or even necessary at all. So it really makes it unnecessary and the deal would only cause scrutiny rather than increased pre order.

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17
    I duno, I think people are scrutinizing or fussing too much. So Stoic didn't make him available to everyone. I don't see how this is so far different from the KS. KS tiers were at 10 and 25. At 10 you got a copy of the game. At 25 you got the artbook and the OST as well. Now if you pre-order you don't get as much stuff as the KS backers, but we still want to thank you so here's Tryggvi and 3 tracks. It's pretty much Stoic going, thank you for supporting us early. At the same time, they don't want to alienate players that buy the game after release.

18.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    This has nothing to do with the full game ---

The Insane Viking Pack (at a dicounted price) is meant to be something a little extra for our KS Backers and our fans - an extra character (which doesn't impact the game), one item, and 3 bonus soundtracks + it's at a discounted price.

Quote Originally Posted by Myll_Erik View Post
    a little extra for our KS Backers and our fans
    am i not a fan too? are those who dont pre-order but still buy the game after release date not branded as fans too?

they don't want to alienate players that buy the game after release.
    But they are sadly doing just that by making it pre-order exclusive!

I duno, I think people are scrutinizing or fussing too much. So Stoic didn't make him available to everyone. I don't see how this is so far different from the KS. KS tiers were at 10 and 25. At 10 you got a copy of the game. At 25 you got the artbook and the OST as well. It's pretty much Stoic going, thank you for supporting us early.
    It is different, because the kickstarter rewards(except for "the crest" and the "god name thing") have nothing to do with in-game, they are extras/bonuses in form of sountrack, posters, art, and so on. Even the crest is just pure cosmetic, nothing else, and the god thing its just adding to the background story, to the lore, something that everybody sees and can read not just the person who got that reward, so it does not affects the gameplay, most people will not even notice it, its just an ego booster to the one that got the reward, knowing that their name and maybe apareance is in the game in form of a god/deity .

I bought a signed poster long ago, that was like 20+ bucks, i will get the game when it released(at full price) that's 20+ more bucks, that is 40+ right? i believe more than most kickstarters gave, no? Yet, have i ever complained about that? No, i know i missed on the kickstarter thing, and when i found out about it was already too late, yet as i enjoyed the game and the concept so much, i gave them my financial support, but i know i have no rights to anything of what was offered to the kickstarters, i do however believe that if i buy this game at release date, i should get everything that was made pre-release and is ingame related, that is the definnition of a full game!

Now if you pre-order you don't get as much stuff as the KS backers, but we still want to thank you so here's Tryggvi and 3 tracks.
    As i said before the issue is not giving something extra for those who pre-order, the issue is giving them something that feels right for everyone, something extra indeed, not in-game material that is created pre-release and yet alienated to most players....
    Last edited by Yellow; 12-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    You certainly are - we're offering a deal. It's up to you if you want the cheaper price + little bit of extra content. We're not forcing this on anyone.

Nor is anyone missing out on anything from the story.

@Yellow - you are correct some people will miss out on the discounted price and Tryggvi by not ordering now. However Tryggvi doesn't impact the game other than giving you an extra character for us in your barracks. He is not a major piece of content and he is not required to complete the game. It is meant to be a nice little extra for those fans who order early (as well as us being able to get a discounted price).
    Last edited by Myll_Erik; 12-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast