Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Is there a DRM-free option for Steam pre-orders?

Is there a DRM-free option for Steam pre-orders?

So, I've pre-ordered The Banner Saga on Steam, but have just now found out that you're planning a GOG release, too. Is there any way for Steam buyers to get a hold of a DRM-free version apart from... you know... buying it separately? As a big fan of GOG I now feel a bit vexed about paying for a DRM-protected version...

I'm absolutely certain I read somewhere on the Steam forums that the game would be available for preorder on GOG (and possibly Green Man Gaming?), but now I can't seem to find it.

There are a ton of options for where we will be able to get the game.

The pre-release Insane Viking pack video description states "The Banner Saga is available for pre-order through Steam, GOG.com, GameFly, GameStop and Gamers Gate. It will release on 1/14/14 for PC and Mac.". That video can be found here.

The main site's page shows Steam, Gamefly Digital, and Gamestop for pre-order options. That link can be found here

As far as getting a pre-release purchase transferred from steam to another type of purchase - that would be completely dependent on Steam's refund policy (and completely out of Stoic's hands). However, you could try emailing the guys at Stoic and seeing if they might be able to get you a key in another format at community@stoicstudio.com . I wouldn't get your hopes up though, you're basically asking them to give you a free copy of their game based on your word that you have already purchased on Steam. The guys certainly have been accommodating in the past, but this I think is a stretch.
    Last edited by Slimsy Platypus; 12-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Well, I didn't mean that I want a GOG version in addition to my Steam copy, no. I was just wondering if there's a way for Steam buyers to play DRM-free. For instance, a sandbox survival game Don't Starve could be bought at Klei Entertainment site through PayPal and then played without DRM, but also every buyer got a Steam-key to boot. To be clear, I'm not demanding a refund or anything. Just would prefer it DRM-free, you know? Besides, guys at Stoic don't seem too talkative here in the forum, so why should they answer me by e-mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Cystennin View Post
    I was just wondering if there's a way for Steam buyers to play DRM-free. For instance, a sandbox survival game Don't Starve could be bought at Klei Entertainment site through PayPal and then played without DRM, but also every buyer got a Steam-key to boot.
    I've seen this for other games too (e.g. Hyper Light Drifter, for a pre-order): giving both a steam-key and a DRM-free copy, to all buyers for the price of "one", of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cystennin View Post
    Besides, guys at Stoic don't seem too talkative here in the forum, so why should they answer me by e-mail?
    Since the single-player game release was finalized some days ago, I think StoicStudio are just taking a (well deserved) break from the game & everything to be with their families. Timely enough to coincide with the holidays too. I'm sure they'll pop back soon!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Indeed - they have been super busy in the recent months so they are taking some well deserved time off
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I've seen this for other games too (e.g. Hyper Light Drifter, for a pre-order): giving both a steam-key and a DRM-free copy, to all buyers for the price of "one", of course.
    Not to mention almost every game in Humble Indie Bundles

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNutshell View Post
    Not to mention almost every game in Humble Indie Bundles
    Well... exactly Actually, even that HLD "deal" is a humble bundle!

TBS is on Humble Bundle Store. This could save some money to Euro-zone customers, as the Steam deal (23 Euro) is more expensive than the HB price (25 USD ~ 18.5 Euro + currency conversion).

Also, GoG.com announced TBS as "Coming Soon" here. No specific date or price or any mention about exclusives, pre-order etc. I just noticed that the game size is said to be 1.2GB, almost half of the Steam version (2.2GB). Weird...

Also, GoG.com announced TBS as "Coming Soon"
    Well, it's a shame they didn't have it at launch. In that case I'd most certainly pick the GOG version for a higher price.

11.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #11
    They took some time on the stand alone client so they could incorporate the upcoming patch to address launch issues for the game.

Also, yes Stoic going to take a short vacation before getting back to do more developing. At the moment though they are still working on the patch and post launch work (sorting out backer keys, interviews, etc.)