Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: First impressions/Early Feedback

Oh snap. Didn't notice that.
    I also found this, about etymology:

From Wiki:
    Oddleif er et nordisk mannsnavn og kvinnenavn med norrøn opprinnelse.
    (Oddleif is a nordic male name and female name with norse origins)

So it seems it CAN be a female name, in Icelandic (the people who still is closest to true viking language)

Etymologi
    Mannsnavnet Oddleif er dannet som en nyere form av det norrøne navnet Oddleifr, som er sammensatt av oddr, «odd, spiss, spyd», og leif, «arving, etterkommer». Kvinnenavnet Oddleif er dannet som en feminin form av Oddleifr.

So Oddleifr is the original name from viking age, composed of "oddr" meaning "point, spear" and "leif" meaning "heir, descendant." Oddleif is a feminine form of Oddleifr.

In Norway, Oddleif is only a male name, but not in Icelandic!

First off: when I preordered this game my feelings were kind of mixed. It looked exciting, the Bioware background of the producers gave reason to hope. Recently, I had also played a bit of Factions and learnt to appreciate the combat system.
    So far (early in Chapter 3) this game has exceeded my expectation by far! I am really impressed. Thank you!

Some suggestions:
    • I would like a second item slot. This would allow for more customization. Additionally, if the item rank was kept, this could also render low tier items viable in the later game. For example: a rank 5 character would have the choice to either wear 1 rank 5 item or he could wear two items of lower rank (rank 2+3 or rank 4+1).
    • Display the armor break and excertion stats in the battle. While not as crucial as strength, armor and willpower, it would be handy to see the two other stats as well. Yes, I am a bit lazy but it would save me from remembering who are my primary armor breakers or if I should use the horn because I could pump an attack further.

Some observations:
    • I like the two different parties. However it was far easier to bond with Rook's treck in the 2nd chapter. Not so much because of the characters but because of the greater urgency. Supplies were low in Rook's band pretty much from the start. My heros were harder pressed in the fights. It all felt more desperate. Hell, you have to send 2 kids into the fights just to get enough bodies.
    • The Varl party is rather unbalanced. It is great at dishing out damage but so far I have only one guy who is good at soaking it. Very often I have no choice but to fight at a turn-disadvantage because the Varls are so good at onehitting there enemies. On the other hand it is a nice change from Factions to be able to fight with more than 2 Varls.
    • Speermen feel underpowered (or I am bad at employing them). Obviously, I can see the offensive potential but in the Varl party Ludin quickly hit the reserve bench because I already lack characters that can soak damage. If I am not mistaken, speermen work best behind a human of the raider tree using their diagonal attack to strike with impunity; but those conditions only exist in Rook's party and I prefer the archers and trashers over the speerman.

Some praise:
    • This game made it very easy to accept my choices. RPG players get taught to save frequently and many of us tend to "correct" bad decisions via that crutch. In this game the urge to reload never arose for me. This may be because many dilemmas just don't have a perfect way out? This also ensures that I will replay the game to try out other options.
    • Combat: I like the system very much. It has an elegant simplicity. The different stats are well balanced and all are crucial. After reading a few reviews warning about the extremely hard battles, I opted to start on "easy". But I had already played ~two dozen battles in Factions, most of them successfully, "easy" turned out to be a little bit too easy and I quickly cranked up the difficulty. But I believe for players without any prior experience, "easy" is exactly right. I love that combat has consequences: wounded heros. Starting with "normal" an additional dilemma is thus added: camp and heal your heros or risk going into the next battle weakened. Creating a turn-advantage in a battle thus becomes a double-edged sword. Fantastic! This seems to be the recurring theme of the Banner Saga gameplay: there is no right choice, you just choose between different downsides!
    • No voice-over: sure, it might be nice but the writing managed to capture me easily enough. It manages to create atmosphere with relatively few words. It's impressive how good the writers have been at not overtaxing the player with endless texts through which you quickly scroll just to get on with it.
    • The artwork, especially the landscapes are stunningly beautiful.

One fear: I fear that this game may turn out to be shorter than I hope. I fear it may have only 5 chapters, I hope for 7 and dream of 9.

One predicition: I would be very surprised if this game didn't do reasonably well financially. It certainly has the quality to justify success. And I believe there are some early indicators towards success:
    • On steam it was high up in the topseller list for the last week (admittedly it hit the market during the post-Christmas low).
    • The previews and reviews were overall very positive.
    • I would be very surprised if this game wouldn't create a positive buzz and attract more customers via word-of-mouth.
    • There haven't been many good story-driven RPGs lately. Banner Sage fills a void.

Ok, I wrote a long feedback but apparently it got lost when I hit "post". Damn, so here comes the shortened version:

Great game - thank you Stoic Studios, so far this has exceeded my expectations by far!

Some suggestions:
    • Display excertion and willpower along with the other stats in battle (it would become a bit more cluttered but also allow for better planning).
    • Add a 2nd item slot: more customization, but more importantly low tier items would remain useful in the later parts of the game: e.g. a rank 5 character could either wear 1 rank 5 item or two items of lower rank (rank 2+3 or rank 4+1)

Apart from that my lost post contained a lot of praise:
    • excellent writing: to the point (short is sweet), I don't miss voice-over
    • Banner Saga made me stick with my choices and - very unusual for an RPG - not even consider reloading. Perhaps because most often there isn't a right one but just a choice between different downsides?
    • Good combat mechanics. Every stat is important. The system has an elegant simplicity. Love that heros get wounded which increases the supply dilemma.
    • Gorgeous artwork, especially the landscapes.

Thank you!

A bit of fire for the feedback - Yrsa's SnB coals stay forever after she drops dead on the field

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire View Post
    Oh snap. Didn't notice that.

In Norway, Oddleif is only a male name, but not in Icelandic!
    Strangely Nazgul is a persian/turkish female name meaning "shy rose" or "delicate flower"...
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

- Can't sell spare/low level bling bling - not only does it make the long line of heroes waiting for promotion sad, but also makes my inventory look like a mess.

I've been able to play only a couple of hours, but so far I really like the game. The art is truly beautiful, music is excellent, dialogue is well-written and combat is fun. I haven't encountered any bugs yet, which is great.

I think this was money well spent! Good job, devs!

On Chapter 2, enjoying the game so far. I found a minor spelling mistake in a conversation with Tryggvi after leaving Stogr and passing the godstone. I asked for more of his particular brand of advice and he said something about never trusting people; something about staring you in the eye through a helmet and lying. There was "your" istead of "you."

EDIT: Found a better place to post this.
    Last edited by RoBear; 01-15-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    Strangely Nazgul is a persian/turkish female name meaning "shy rose" or "delicate flower"...
    Imagine my surprise when a girl I met from Dubai introduced herself as Nazgul. The nerd in me was like "MARRY THIS ONE!".
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

I was only interested in the SP game, so I purposely didn't play the multiplayer. So I was a complete noob when I started playing today, although a vet of strategy games. I played a few hours on regular and the difficulty seems about right. I have won every battle, but I often have someone get hurt. Although it seems like it is balanced, the turn order thing bothers me. I don't like how if I drop enemies and now outnumber them, I gain no advantage because they get extra turns to keep the turns alternating. Which means you fighters can stand there and get attacked multiple times by the same enemy as they get extra turns. What was the reasoning behind this? I have never played a game before where if you have four fighters, and the enemy has two, they might as well have four because they both get to move and attack twice to keep things even.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkZombie View Post
    I don't like how if I drop enemies and now outnumber them, I gain no advantage because they get extra turns to keep the turns alternating. Which means you fighters can stand there and get attacked multiple times by the same enemy as they get extra turns. What was the reasoning behind this? I have never played a game before where if you have four fighters, and the enemy has two, they might as well have four because they both get to move and attack twice to keep things even.
    The thing you don't like such mechanics doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different. You just need to adapt playing it, it has it's charm and is in fact very well balanced (through the Factions of course).
    Try not to kill things as quick as possible (apart from when it's absolutely nesessary ie when the target blocks path for your next character to have a good move and/or the target has a powerful ability that will be used if you don't kill it) and instead try to cripple them and make them ineffectual. In general there are concepts of Turn Advantage (having less units than opponent) and Stat Advantage (having better stats than opponent). If you have the first without having the second (or at least being on par with the second) then TA doesn't do much.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

So far it's one of the best games I've played, in nearly every category...ignoring the fact that I've known about it for a long while. I like the music, the atmosphere, the depth of storytelling, the animations - it's obviously a well-made, polished game.

That said, I dislike the random events that come up and kill characters. So far I haven't found any "intelligent decision" or any reliable way to not immediately lose a great character. Perhaps I've made all the wrong decisions but I'm to chapter 3 now and every "random event" decision I've made has resulted in the loss of a character. Random event meaning something that puts a specific character in mortal peril. This has left me with the distinct feeling that I'm a moron, which does not contribute to making the game enjoyable.

I'm the type of person who would rather continue on normal difficulty, but if this keeps up I may decide to switch to easy just to avoid losing a good character every 20 minutes. After three of these now, it's starting to feel a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzar View Post
    That said, I dislike the random events that come up and kill characters. So far I haven't found any "intelligent decision" or any reliable way to not immediately lose a great character. Perhaps I've made all the wrong decisions but I'm to chapter 3 now and every "random event" decision I've made has resulted in the loss of a character.
    How many characters have you lost (and which ones)? I have lost 2 so far and I'm right at the start of chapter 5. With Rook's party I had always an abundance of characers but in Hakon's group I had to fight my way through armies of dredge with just 4 varl.
    It worked out. Not sure if the varl were just so strong in combination with the turnadvantage of just having 4 characters (I had stats like 11/18, 16/14, 14/14 and 19/11 pretty soon) and I stomped through everything. Therefore chapter 3 was the easiest so far and I could charge and chase in every battle despite having only 4 heroes to work with.
    Not sure if fights scale with the number of heroes or if this is what naturally happens when 3 of your guys can one-hit weak dredge. Note that this is no complaint! I think chapter 3 is perfect ramp up towards chapter 4 getting harder and harder. I even regrouped once there and struggled with moral and supplies.
    Last edited by Leartes; 01-16-2014 at 04:54 AM.

I'm really digging the game thus far, and I'm really pleased with the length. (I've been playing for the last 2 days, with one restart. I didn't understand I was forgoing the watercourse in Frostvellr at first.) The one issue I'm having is that I am CONSTANTLY running out of supplies, and losing followers as a result. I'm buying all I can every town I come to, to the point that my fighters are sitting at lower levels than I'd like, and I'm still running into this problem. And I'm not resting very often, either. Am I just making all the wrong choices, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Leartes View Post
    How many characters have you lost (and which ones)?
    So far, I've lost Ludin, Yrsa, Bersi (They all got it at the same time,) Egil (not at the beginning) and Onef, and a Red-clothed Varl. I also lost Gunnuelf In my first game, but I restarted. I'm still kind of worried about the repercussions of letting the Prince of Men get gakked.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    So far, I've lost Ludin, Yrsa, Bersi (They all got it at the same time,) Egil (not at the beginning) and Onef, and a Red-clothed Varl. I also lost Gunnuelf In my first game, but I restarted. I'm still kind of worried about the repercussions of letting the Prince of Men get gakked.
    He's a jerk. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    I...didn't even realize you could lose most of those characters.

The only ones I lost on my first playthrough were Egil and Yrsa. But Yrsa betrayed the party and nearly got us all killed, so bleh to her.

It's still unclear to me if she's a traitor or actually just got lost in the commotion. I'd like to believe the latter, since there is actually an option to start the fires without her disappearing. Pyromaniac maybe?

Ok, finished my first playthrough and I lost Gunnalf, Egil (right at the start) and Onef. Also I got a sad ending, not sure if there are better ones.

Also I struggled a lot on supplies in chapter 6. Maybe if you feel strong and want to go with high supplies you can cut your way through the dredge for less time and more renown.

EDIT:
    On achievements, Alette killed a character in a cut scene, I didn't get permition to destroy the bridge, people got hungry on chapter 6 and moral was constantly lowest. I'm not sure if the tactian achievement is even possible at the moment, same for the challenge achievement.
    Last edited by Leartes; 01-16-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Feedback thread

THERE ARE SPOILERS.

You Have Been Warned.

First off I was engrossed by The Banner Saga, just finished and really enjoyed the game. (I loved the map with all its clickable goodness!). Many of these may be nitpicks that wouldn't really change anything, but:

1) I think cutscenes should be pausable, if possible.
    2) Subtitles for cutscenes (STOIC have commented they are working on this already).
    3) Option for skipping the tutorial(s).
    4) Save slots for different playthroughs, please! This is very relevant if Chapter 2/3 will somehow import our choices.
    5) If I press to promote someone but I don't have enough renown or decide against it, I have no remedy but to go back to the previous screen. For example if I press the "Lore" button I can just close the lore popup without going back to the previous screen, an equivalent option to close the promote popup is what I want.
    6) I would really appreciate if we could see our heroes' stats when going into battle, many times I wasn't sure who to take into battle because I still hadn't become familiar with the characters available. So I was guessing instead of making real decisions when selecting my roster for an immediate battle. This is also requested here.
    7) It'd be cool if we can still see our caravan stats when an event occurs. Sometimes I wasn't sure what option to pick because I wasn't sure how many supplies I had exactly and etc.
    8) It would also be cool if the last line of dialogue passes to the top of the screen instead of disappearing, sometimes I messed up and passed a line too fast before reading it.
    9) The text says you regain consciousness walking behind Juno, but she's clearly leading the way in the caravan animation! Such HUGE mistake!!
    10) There are some big things that seem to be forgotten and never mentioned again like the baby dredge (that I took!), and Alette sewing the banner or the frozen girl you rescue. They stand out to me for not having a follow up, is all.

Typos:
    * After you deal with the Skalfings in the meadhouse Ubin says "Ah, things makes a little more sense." Should be "make", not "makes".
    * The map description for Strand says "Many people still believe the god Denglr still watches...")
    * When you ask Tryggvi for helpful advice he says "A man will look at your right through is helmet and lie."
    * The first occurrence with Rook's caravan drunkard starts "During a rest, one of the men get too drunk and end up splashing mead..." it should be "gets" and "ends".
    * When we first play as Hakon, after the prince has his say, Ubin says "If Ludin won't be deterred, you'll have to deal with it. Don't let Ludin get to you." I'd replace the second instance of "Ludin" with "him".
    * When Iver wakes up after losing his arm, Alette tells him Eyvind saved him. He replies "Give the menders my regards." I assume it should be "mender" singular.
    * If you rest in Sigrholm some thieves will rob your supplies and it says "Oddeleif is already running their direction". It should be "running in their direction."
    * When Unnarr tells his tale ending in "War and death behind them...", there are inverted commas closing the sentence but not opening it (GASP!).
    * After you save Sigbjorn there's a line that says "Wait I was saving your ass, remember that part?" Which is said by Sigbjorn but seems should belong to Rook?
    * In the last city, there's a moment when Iver says "it's hard to get a shot on them from this distance. Arrows just bounces right off." It should say bounce, not bounces.
    * In the very end, after certain character dies, Iver says of the ship he got: "I had it prepared it for Alette". Second instance of "it" should be deleted.
    Last edited by Tychoxi; 01-20-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Here's my list:

• Subtitles -- There's hearing-impaired people and non-native speakers. VO is so little, that this seems easy to amend.
    • Assemble your Heroes -- No music/sound? I spend a lot of time in there planning my build, especially when there's a lot of options.
    • Assemble your Heroes -- See unit stats? I understand that promoting and swapping items is not "right", but stats viewing?
    • Battle Deployment -- I'd like to see the enemy movement and attack ranges. I've memorized them, but it would help!
    • Battle UI -- When activating some abilities, the buff/debuff icon briefly flashes on all unit portraits, not only the one(s) targeted.
    • Battle Aftermath -- I'd like to jump straight into the "Heroes" screen, not directly back to travel, to promote units between consecutive battles.
    • Dialogue -- Music or ambient sounds? Sometimes they seem too empty.
    • Morale (vs. Population & Distance & Time & Supplies) -- I know its very complicated, but some approximation of how they relate would help... Also, some points of the story (especially Chapter 6) seem out of balance...

Copied from here. I've highlighted in blue the ones reported by you too.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast